Crossing with Solanum habrochaites (another POV)

Share your breeding experiments and crosses you're working on
bower
Reactions:

Re: Crossing with Solanum habrochaites (another POV)

Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:31 am

It sure is a bummer, but don't forget, you guys taking on these experiments are also nailing down the way forward - backcrossing at any and earliest opportunity seems to be the key.
Also with the low number fruiting - a very expensive proposition for a full growout - this generation is a best candidate for small pot strategies to minimize the investment of space and time on fruitless lines.
(The pots I've been using to identify sp/sp plants are big enough to supply nutrients for that first flower and fruit if it's going to happen, so maybe that would work. The size that is 7 inches/18 cm deep and 6.25"/16 cm across the top seems to be about right.)
Either way, the work you've shared and are sharing is really valuable, to understanding exactly what is involved in bringing those wild genes into tomatoes. Much appreciated!
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:26 am

@Frosti Yeah I was hoping to see a few fruits that started looking at least slightly more domestic, especially since my initial cross was with fairly large slicers. I still have my seeds, maybe at some point in the future I can do a bigger grow out, or hand pollinate one S. habro line with the other or IDK… :roll:
Wet and windy side of a Hawaiian island, just living the dream

nicotomato
Reactions:

Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:58 am

Do you think it is infertile or just a bad combination of SI + closed flowers ?

Getting big fruits is a difficult job, a lot of recessive genes involved (i would say i least 4 ?). Doing stats with this number of genes does not bring a smile ...

Frosti
Reactions:

Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:47 am

nicotomato wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:58 am Do you think it is infertile or just a bad combination of SI + closed flowers ?

Getting big fruits is a difficult job, a lot of recessive genes involved (i would say i least 4 ?). Doing stats with this number of genes does not bring a smile ...
I believe it is self-infertility, since the flowers of most of my plants looked healthy but later fell off.

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:36 am

I have fruit set on some of my 1/4 habrochaites plants. Very different animals from the 1/2 habro that’s for sure.

IMG_9818.jpeg

IMG_9816.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tim DH
Reactions:

Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:42 pm

Apologies Mark. ... I've been asleep for a month or two!
Your Malachite Box x S habro F1 leaf looks like I'd expect it to, but your Epstein’s PL x S habro F1 looks a bit potato leafy to me. Maybe that cross didn't take?

Tim DH

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:46 pm

Tim DH wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:42 pm Apologies Mark. ... I've been asleep for a month or two!
Your Malachite Box x S habro F1 leaf looks like I'd expect it to, but your Epstein’s PL x S habro F1 looks a bit potato leafy to me. Maybe that cross didn't take?

Tim DH
Nah that plant is definitely half habro, leaf shape is the only thing that it took from mama. Check out the fruits in post #10.

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:54 pm

So these three fruits are off side by side by side plants from the same mother (Domingo) and pollen donor (EPPL x S. habro) Couple different fruit shapes and two of the three with the extra long sepals. Hard to see the middle one but it has a nipple at the bottom, almost like a chubby heart shape. All seem fairly vigorous and are holding up to the foliar diseases fairly well.

IMG_0071.jpeg
IMG_0070.jpeg
IMG_0068.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Wed May 08, 2024 1:52 am

First fruit off the 1/4 habros and it’s delicious! I almost want to say fruity, but that might be because I was reading that other forum. Anyways definitely worth following up on. Forgive the filthy meat cutting board. The fruit is Domingo x (Malachite Box x S. habro F1) F1.

Also got a pic of an unrelated 1/4 habro that has KBX blood and it has some of the most impressive potato leaves I’ve ever grown.

IMG_0162.jpeg
IMG_0163.jpeg
IMG_0183.jpeg

IMG_0180.jpeg

bower
Reactions:

Wed May 08, 2024 7:37 am

Delicious at 1/4 is excellent news! :)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Return to “Tomato Crossing/Breeding”