Random and miscellaneous garden photos

Let's see those Photos and videos!!
Seven Bends
Reactions:

Re: Random and miscellaneous garden photos

Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:41 am

Puffychicken wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:25 pm Last year, I grew in raised beds, but this year I tested my soil and found that all my garden has high lead and the raised bed has even higher than the rest. It's container gardening for me this year. I bought dwarf tomato seeds last minute and sowed direct and I'm just hoping I get a melon.
Pretty yard/patio! Do you know the source of the lead in the soil? What made you decide to test?

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:56 pm

What form of lead is in your raised bed soil? The soil came from where?

Did you get your water tested?

Puffychicken
Reactions:

Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:02 pm

@Seven Bends
@JRinPA
I decided to test because I have a baby that wants to explore everything so I became anxious about lead as a result. We live in a house built in 1902, in an old part of our town so the lead is probably from paint, leaded gas and general leadiness of old industrialization. The water utility guys came out to check our water but didn't end up taking a sample because we have a water softener. They said it looked like the old owners changed everything to copper and it was pretty new so probably no lead on our side. Which was a relief. Our original theory was that the higher lead in the raised bed was from water with lead but now I think that the old owners took the dirt that was taken out near the house when doing the landscaping and put it in the boxes. Soil near an old house is usually more leady because of the rain running off the house for years and years. We did add miracle grow to the beds last year to top them up. I'm not sure what form of lead, the RXsoil test just says lead.

For our pots this year, I looked up the amount of lead in potting mixes that are available to us and bought the one with the lowest lead. Miracle grow had 20ppm!
I used the California, Oregon and Washington databases if anyone else needs to look up their commercial soil products.
https://agr.wa.gov/departments/pesticid ... r-database
https://mylicense.oda.state.or.us/plsap ... PROGRAM:91
http://apps1.cdfa.ca.gov/fertilizerproducts

I'm thinking about moving so she can play in the yard.
Utah 7b

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:11 pm

Background lead levels in soil in the US are 10-50ppm, and those levels are considered fully safe for vegetable gardening, so 20ppm in Miracle Gro wouldn't be an issue. That said, the best amount of lead is no lead at all, so I understand trying to pick a product with lower levels. I checked all the Miracle Gro soil-type products on the Washington State Dept of Agriculture link you posted, and I only found a few with levels above 10ppm:

MG Performance Organics All-Purpose In-Ground Soil 25.1 ppm
MG Performance Organics Raised Bed Mix 16.8 ppm
MG Moisture Control Potting Mix 21.0 ppm
MG Organic Choice Raised Bed and In-Ground Soil w/Compost 17.5 ppm
MG Organic Choice Moisture Control Potting Mix w/Compost 12.0 ppm
Fundamentals Garden Soil Roses 18.3 ppm

Most Miracle Gro products had concentrations below 5 ppm. It's interesting to me that most of their higher readings came from their various "organic" lines of products. I wonder if that has something to do with their compost inputs?

As for your child's safety in your yard, I certainly don't want to interfere with your decisions about that, but be sure you read up on scientific consensus health and environmental data before making any decisions such as moving. Soil lead levels have to be pretty high to be of concern (greater than 400 ppm in a child's direct play area or 1200ppm averaged over the whole yard), and even those high levels are only a concern if the soil in your yard is bare/exposed. Also, there are lots of easy ways to reduce risk from lead in soil.

US EPA's Region III office has a good fact sheet on lead in soil if you haven't already seen it: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... llbwjWhO4M

Sorry for taking the photo thread off-topic, but I worked in toxic chemical regulation for years, so it's an area of interest for me.

Puffychicken
Reactions:

Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:41 pm

@Seven Bends Yeah I noticed that organic seemed to have higher levels when I was looking too.

The test said "100 ppm - Maximum
level the EPA generally
regards as safe for food
crops and gardening
with children" and ours is much more than that but less than 400, so thanks for that info! We've covered the bare raised beds with some tarps to be safe anyway.
Utah 7b

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:36 pm

IMG_4083.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

JRinPA
Reactions:

Tue May 07, 2024 5:02 pm

There were there on Sunday....but gone today. All four egg shells gone. I don't know if the parents move the evidence to hide the chicks, or if a comm gardener took them.

The two parents an at least 3 chicks are skittering around the garden plots. Fast little buggers.

Last pic I have is on May 1. They hatched between May 5 noon and May 7 noon.
01.JPG
02.JPG
I took some pics of them running around at 15 yards today but this cell phone camera is useless for that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bower
Reactions:

Wed May 08, 2024 6:38 pm

The Bundido is back. Survived the pandemic, in spite of the badly positioned mask. Still masking!
bundido-631.JPG
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

SpookyShoe
Reactions:

Sat May 11, 2024 4:24 pm

The crinum are blooming now around the Live Oak tree.

IMG_20240511_071233287.jpg

IMG_20240511_071502200.jpg
Donna, zone 9, El Lago, Texas

Return to “The Gallery”