Finishing the Garlic Dry-down

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Finishing the Garlic Dry-down

Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:09 am

The heat is finally moving in. It had to happen sometime. Looks like we'll be having a short stretch of upper 90's and heat factors of 100 or so. All of a sudden with the weather change it has gotten hot in the shed where I'm curing the garlic so I moved them to the house and into their forever home which is a spare closet. The bi-fold doors are open and they'll still have a fan blowing on them for a while longer.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Re: Finishing the Garlic Dry-down

Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:07 pm

I dislike a lot of modern day buzzwords...forever home is up there on the list. HGTV, kept on seeing that locked on in waiting rooms. Rescue dogs, too, that is way overused. Just because it is not an 8week old puppy does not make it a rescue. A st bernard with a little barrel on the collar, that is a rescue dog.

LOL that said, what is the state of your garlic growing now? Softnecks, hardnecks, buckets, beds, planted when until when? I have a buddy in Lawrenceville and I'd like to give him some advice but I can't relate to the climate.

I like the looks of the ones on the right, they look like they filled out well. Probably about the shape I get here. But I'm sure they all taste good.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:50 am

Left to right, front row has two bundles of Siberian (hardneck purple stripe turban), two of Russian Inferno (hardneck Asiatic turban) and two of Lorz Italian (softneck artichoke). When they were sorted, the largest bulbs were labeled for replanting (except Russian, being discontinued) and are in the back row so I don't accidentally grab one for cooking! So basically all the front row and some of the back ones are for use and are the smallest bulbs.

I chose these varieties because they are good for planting in the South AND (important to me) the cloves are large and centered around the middle. No inner cluster of small, annoying and basically useless cloves! They are planted down the sides of a raised bed in mid October and harvested anywhere from late May to mid June.

Russian Inferno is being discontinued and will be replaced with Polish White (softneck artichoke type), another large clove garlic for the South. It's on order for fall delivery. I've grown the Inferno for the past seven years but it just hasn't been sizing up nicely over the two years even though the largest cloves have been planted. Time for a change!

JRinPA
Reactions:

Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:55 pm

Thanks good info there. Siberian, Polish White, and Lorz Italian. Mid Oct to June in raised bed.
My buddy travels a bit so I'm not sure if he ever did the garden or not. I'm gonna take his parents some stuff this week, they were over today and loaded me down with food. I had pizza dough rising but couldn't say no. I hadn't seen them in 15 years, still the same. His dad was wants me to come up to pick up a seeder, like a wheel seeder or drill or whatever you call it, for corn and such. They don't garden anymore.

Return to “Garlic”