Brandy Boy F1 disease-resistance

Shule
Reactions:

Brandy Boy F1 disease-resistance

Tue May 03, 2022 11:33 pm

What diseases is Brandy Boy F1 supposed to resist? It's supposed to have improved disease-resistance over Brandywine.

Also, just from your own experience, what does it resist? And is it any different disease-wise than other Brandywines, as far as you've noticed?
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Shule
Reactions:

Re: Brandy Boy F1 disease-resistance

Wed May 04, 2022 8:59 am

Well, I found some answers on Dave's Garden:
- aris (and the Dave's Garden article itself) says it's resistant to "Fusarium Wilt, Verticillium Wilt, Root Nematodes, and Tobacco Mosaic (T)" and vouches for the Fusarium and Verticillium resistance (at that point of the season, anyway). I don't know how they know.
- Anecdotal: Early Blight (1 central Florida vote for field resistance; 1 MN vote for seed-starting susceptibility when crowded)
- Anecdotal: An Oregon grower said it resisted a disease that caused them to pull up five Paul Robeson tomato plants.

travis on Tomatoville mentioned giving up an effort to stabilize Brandy Boy, due to it having lost resistance to Fusarium and Verticillium wilts. So, it would seem that the resistance in the F1 is heterozygous unless travis's plants were crossed or something. I'm not sure if john11840's stabilized Brandy Boy has the resistance or not, but I would think so.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Re: Brandy Boy F1 disease-resistance

Wed May 04, 2022 9:18 am

Anecdotally I would say it is susceptible to Septoria, but outgrows it and remains productive. Man I love Brandy Boy
Wet and windy side of a Hawaiian island, just living the dream

Return to “Hybrid Tomatoes”