Can we talk Hollyhocks?

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Can we talk Hollyhocks?

Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:14 pm

We are cleaning out a friend's apartment for her family and we have come across Ziplock bags FULL of hollyhock seeds. They are labeled by color ie red, pink, dark red... When Marge found a hollyhock she liked growing in an alley or other hard to grow spot she would note it and come back to collect seeds later so these are probably only single old style hollyhocks. Don't remember if there was a white or not but I do remember the dark red marked separately from the red and there are I think a couple of bags labeled pink.

There are A LOT of seeds but are all unnamed due to how she collected them. And I have no idea how old the seeds are. Besides warning @Tormato they may show up for swap any other suggestions/idea how to proceed with these? I am assuming I need to do a germination test if I send any into the swap?

Of course if any one in here would like to take a chance on them just let me know...
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

agee
Reactions:

Re: Can we talk Hollyhocks?

Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:39 pm

Your approach makes sense. Do the germination test and offer them up for swap. You probably need to tag them as unbagged because they could have cross-pollinated. I am interested in the red, dark red and any other non-pink color. I can get it via MMMM.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:08 pm

wykvlvr wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:14 pm We are cleaning out a friend's apartment for her family and we have come across Ziplock bags FULL of hollyhock seeds. They are labeled by color ie red, pink, dark red... When Marge found a hollyhock she liked growing in an alley or other hard to grow spot she would note it and come back to collect seeds later so these are probably only single old style hollyhocks. Don't remember if there was a white or not but I do remember the dark red marked separately from the red and there are I think a couple of bags labeled pink.

There are A LOT of seeds but are all unnamed due to how she collected them. And I have no idea how old the seeds are. Besides warning @Tormato they may show up for swap any other suggestions/idea how to proceed with these? I am assuming I need to do a germination test if I send any into the swap?

Of course if any one in here would like to take a chance on them just let me know...
I'd send them in, no matter what. Seeds can be viable for about 9 years. They will be listed as old, with germination rates unknown. Many gardeners like the challenge of attempting to revive old seed.

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:35 pm

Thanks @Tormato expect a small box from me then as yes it is a LOT of seeds.
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

Return to “Perennials”