Canning outdoors

Glitch
Reactions:

Canning outdoors

Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:38 pm

Any recommendations for canning setups outdoors? Right now I'm thinking of getting a "Ball freshTECH Electric Water Bath Canner and Multi-Cooker" because I could use it on the deck or in my garage. The downside to that is that I can't pressure can with it. I do have a pressure canner I could use, but I'm not sure about how I would heat it up outside. Some sort of camping stove? Right now I only have experience with water bath canning anyway, so maybe that's a hurdle to tackle later.

The main reason I want to can outside is because my stove situation is cramped and I always end up with water from the steam dripping everywhere off of the range hood and it's a mess.
Miniature enthusiast. USDA Zone 6A.

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Re: Canning outdoors

Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:53 pm

Glitch wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:38 pm Any recommendations for canning setups outdoors? Right now I'm thinking of getting a "Ball freshTECH Electric Water Bath Canner and Multi-Cooker" because I could use it on the deck or in my garage. The downside to that is that I can't pressure can with it. I do have a pressure canner I could use, but I'm not sure about how I would heat it up outside. Some sort of camping stove? Right now I only have experience with water bath canning anyway, so maybe that's a hurdle to tackle later.

The main reason I want to can outside is because my stove situation is cramped and I always end up with water from the steam dripping everywhere off of the range hood and it's a mess.
I was new to canning and went right to a pressure canner. It's not that difficult to use and it's much faster than water bath. I also do my canning outside with a camp stove. I have a 2 burner NG stove cart from Tejas Smokers. https://tejassmokers.com/Camp-Stove-Carts/23 Not cheap by any means as I spent around $700. But I also use it for wok stir frying and other stuff during the summer months. Nice to keep the heat/steam/smells outside.

With a pressure canner, I only have to heat 2 cups of water along with some cream of tartar. First you get it up to steam and let it steam out for 10 minutes. Then I turn off the steam and let it come to pressure. Once it hits pressure, I reduce temperature and let it maintain it for 10 minutes I think (don't have manual in front of me) and then I turn it off. Let it come down in pressure on its own and then you're done.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:16 pm

There are electric pressure canners, from what I see. I have not used one.

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:52 pm

You can use a pressure canner to water bath.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Glitch
Reactions:

Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:16 am

[mention]ponyexpress[/mention], thanks for the good info. I'll have to look into different camp stoves. How many canning sessions do you think you can pull off with a propane tank before you run out?

Glitch
Reactions:

Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:17 am

worth1 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:52 pm You can use a pressure canner to water bath.
Yeah, I'm actually using a pressure canner to water bath on the stove these days. I just haven't used it for actual pressure canning. I'm not the biggest fan of using it on the stove anyway. The steam ends up getting the kitchen so wet.

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:40 am

Glitch wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:16 am @ponyexpress, thanks for the good info. I'll have to look into different camp stoves. How many canning sessions do you think you can pull off with a propane tank before you run out?
I couldn't tell you because my setup is NG, not LP. I would think you could use a turkey fryer setup if you want to start off without incurring a lot of costs. Just make sure that the flame can be modulated to a simmer and is not full blast.

I forgot to mention that one issue with cooking outside is when you're dealing with a windy day than can cause the flame to go out. I try not to do it on a windy day.

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:42 am

Glitch wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:17 am
Yeah, I'm actually using a pressure canner to water bath on the stove these days. I just haven't used it for actual pressure canning. I'm not the biggest fan of using it on the stove anyway. The steam ends up getting the kitchen so wet.
Do you have a range hood? I currently don't have one but I'm looking to replace my above stove microwave with a unit that can also vent to the outside. I would also look into a pressure cooker/canner steam diverter. That might help with the wet cabinets issue.

Glitch
Reactions:

Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:46 am

ponyexpress wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:42 am Do you have a range hood? I currently don't have one but I'm looking to replace my above stove microwave with a unit that can also vent to the outside. I would also look into a pressure cooker/canner steam diverter. That might help with the wet cabinets issue.
Yeah, I have a range hood/microwave combo. I've never heard of a steam diverter, time to Google. :)

loulac
Reactions:

Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:21 pm

I wouldn’t recommend electric heating, it would be slow and expensive. I think the best solution is a turkey stove / burner using propane. They exist with a variety of size and power. They can be used in a garage, far from any flammable product and constantly watched. Using them outside is safer but they should be protected from occasional gusts of wind by a screen around them made of cardboard (at a safe distance) or metal.

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:45 pm

ponyexpress wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:42 am
Glitch wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:17 am
Do you have a range hood? I currently don't have one but I'm looking to replace my above stove microwave with a unit that can also vent to the outside. I would also look into a pressure cooker/canner steam diverter. That might help with the wet cabinets issue.
[mention]Glitch[/mention] I purchased a two burner camping stove and I do all my pressure and water bath canning outside. What I did do was purchase a double size propane tank(40#, I think) to not worry about running out of propane prematurely. And that size tank is manageable for me to get into my truck cab for refilling.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:11 am

You can get a valve setup for two tanks.
That way when one runs out you just switch the valve to the other tank insuring you don't ruin a canning session.
Then just get the empty one refilled or exchanged as soon as possible.
Several ways to do this.
Worth

Clkeiper
Reactions:

Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:19 am

is't there a difference in BTU's between gas and PP? I think you need to be very careful to not ruin your canner on a propane outdoor burner. do your research. maybe check with your local county extension office about the difference between PP and NG for canning. I was on a canning forum for a while and there was a thread very much concerned with outdoor canning and the possibility of overheating the metal with a PP burner.

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:27 am

Clkeiper wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:19 am is't there a difference in BTU's between gas and PP? I think you need to be very careful to not ruin your canner on a propane outdoor burner. do your research. maybe check with your local county extension office about the difference between PP and NG for canning. I was on a canning forum for a while and there was a thread very much concerned with outdoor canning and the possibility of overheating the metal with a PP burner.
I have never heard of anyone making a distinction between LP and NG for cooking. Just make sure your appliance is setup for the gas that you're using. NG has less BTUs so the valves usually have a larger orifice to let more gas in to get the same BTUs. It'll be a big problem if you take a NG setup and use LP with it. You'll have a very hot blow torch. Conversely, if you use an LP setup with NG, you'll have significatnly less heat/power than what the appliance is rated for.

My Weber grills are NG and I will sometimes get a free LP Weber grill. I convert them to NG but swapping out the gas manifold.

Glitch
Reactions:

Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:37 am

Clkeiper wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:19 am is't there a difference in BTU's between gas and PP? I think you need to be very careful to not ruin your canner on a propane outdoor burner. do your research. maybe check with your local county extension office about the difference between PP and NG for canning. I was on a canning forum for a while and there was a thread very much concerned with outdoor canning and the possibility of overheating the metal with a PP burner.
Yeah, after looking into it the canner I have specifically says not to use it on a propane burner outdoors because it'll warp the aluminum. If I go with the outdoor option I'll probably have to get a new canner that can handle the heat. I don't have natural gas as an option.

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:00 am

Glitch wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:37 am Yeah, after looking into it the canner I have specifically says not to use it on a propane burner outdoors because it'll warp the aluminum. If I go with the outdoor option I'll probably have to get a new canner that can handle the heat. I don't have natural gas as an option.
I have the T-fal pressure canner and just looked at the manual. It says the same thing that I should not use an outdoors propane burner. I can understand that because some of them can output 200K BTUs or they use a jet burner that concentrates all of the heat in a small area.

My camp stove is 40K BTUs per burner and I have no issues. I crank it until it gets up to steam and them I reduce the temperature.

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:43 pm

Now wait a minute.
They are talking about those blast burners they have for turkey frying and such.
Many homes have propane stoves.
You want an adjustable burner you can turn down.
Orifice size for a propane stove is larger than natural gas.
Worth

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:43 pm

worth1 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:43 pm They are talking about those blast burners they have for turkey frying and such.
Agreed.
worth1 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:43 pm Orifice size for a propane stove is larger than natural gas.
It's the other way around. NG orifice is about twice the size of LP orifice. 1cf of LP has ~2500 BTUs versus ~1000 BTUs for NG.

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:28 pm

Right i knew that and wrote it backwards.
Just changed some out on a stove top.
Regulator different too.
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:28 pm

Duplicate post.
Worth

Return to “Water Bath and Pressure Canning.”