Fall Strawberry Plants Anyone?

Wildcat82
Reactions:

Fall Strawberry Plants Anyone?

Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:31 pm

In central Texas you supposed to set out your strawberry plants in October. Unfortunately, there are zero vendors online where you can buy a bundle of Fall plants. A couple places like Stark Brothers will sell a single plant for $18 but I'm looking for at least 25 plants.

1. I've seen some people claim Sparkle is an heirloom strawberry so perhaps I could buy one plant from Starke's, grow it, then save the seed when it fruits next spring. Hopefully the seed will grow to to form. Don't know if this will work.

2. I could try growing some hybrid day neutral strawberry seeds from Johnny's (Elan and Tarpan). I know absolutely nothing about these varieties.

3. I could try alpine strawberries again. However 4/5 attempts failed to germinate or grow more than a inch or so before dying. Two years ago I managed to get 25 Yellow Wonder to grow. I babied them through the winter and they grew in huge 1.5 by 1.5 plants. I harvested exactly 1 cup of pea sized mushy berries in a two month period.

Any opinions on what I can do?

Danny
Reactions:

Re: Fall Strawberry Plants Anyone?

Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:59 pm

Check online as I have gotten some adverts for strawberries plants this week or so.

Wildcat82
Reactions:

Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:10 pm

Danny wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:59 pm Check online as I have gotten some adverts for strawberries plants this week or so.
Which companies sent you the ads? I've looked everywhere online.

Danny
Reactions:

Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:24 pm

Wildcat82
Reactions:

Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:14 pm

Going down your list:

Nourse - ships in January
Raintree - ships in February - May
Grow Organic - ships after 20 January
Greenwood - Ships sometime in November. Plants must be in the ground NLT mid-October since our first frost date is 24 November.
Gurney's sells 4 packs for $20. I'd be spending $120 plus shipping for 24 plants. In the spring 25 plants cost $15.

Walmart, Lowe's,and Home Depot sell single plants for $10-12. Jung's only ships in March.
Stark Brothers sells singles for $18/plant
Ison's is the only vendor that sells Fall bundles but they only have the rock hard flavorless commercial grocery store varieties. I'll pass.

I'd be happy with any of the varieties we grew up North: Earliglow, Sparkle, Jewel, etc. I
I may be forced into buying 4 Sparkle plants from Gurney's then growing them for seed.

Danny
Reactions:

Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:24 pm

I just ordered from Jung's. I am north and east of you in SA, but have time for fall planting still. Jung's has some of the varieties you mention and they are doing fall shipping. Prices are good, I think, LOL, considering how many berries we go through here. I just ordered Honeoye, Wendy and Mara des Bois.

Hopefully, it will cost us less than normal to grow 'em versus buying as many. I know where I will be finding PIC often when the berries start fruiting.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:39 pm

Instead of growing from seed, transplant next year's runners.

Wildcat82
Reactions:

Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:05 pm

For my zip code, they will be shipping in March. Are you sure you didn't accidentally pre-order your plants for Spring?
https://www.jungseed.com/shipping?zip=78253

Wildcat82
Reactions:

Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:23 pm

Tormato wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:39 pm Instead of growing from seed, transplant next year's runners.
That's how we did it our our farm in the Midwest, Unfortunately, strawberries cannot survive summer temperatures here (I've tried).

"The “annual” system is the system of choice for warmer areas of the south if you are growing strawberries in Austin and central Texas. Plants are set 12 inches apart in a staggered double or triple row from mid September to early November, carried through the winter, harvested in spring (primarily late February through early May), and then plowed under."
https://travis-tx.tamu.edu/about-2/hort ... in-austin/

agee
Reactions:

Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:11 am

https://www.isons.com/product-category/ ... rry-plugs/
https://www.isons.com/our-guarantee/#shipping-rates

Regarding the first freeze, that is an estimate and can come before or after the expected date, so you should have a plan in place on how you are going to protect the plants from a frost even if you get them in the ground in October IMHO, I am in the Atlanta area and we've usually get our first hard frost later than the projected date.

I'd also consider posting on local Facebook pages that are gardening or trading oriented, other social media, Craig's List, etc. that you are looking for strawberries and what you are willing to pay or trade. I would not be surprised if there is a local farmer / gardener who let their runners get out of control and has extra. The only downside is they may not be able to tell you the variety. If that is a big concern and you are handy, you can put them in a diy set up like stackable milk crates or converted pallets, which to me easier to walk away from than putting in the ground. If you put them on wheels, then that may also help with the frost situation. You can get instructions from youtube videos and google searches. ETA: You can also purchase stackable or other containers or use / repurpose what you have.

Thanks for the testimonial on germinating alpine seeds, I have had germination issues with that seed type.

Wildcat82
Reactions:

Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:04 pm

agee wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:11 am https://www.isons.com/product-category/ ... rry-plugs/
https://www.isons.com/our-guarantee/#shipping-rates

Regarding the first freeze, that is an estimate and can come before or after the expected date, so you should have a plan in place on how you are going to protect the plants from a frost even if you get them in the ground in October IMHO, I am in the Atlanta area and we've usually get our first hard frost later than the projected date.

I'd also consider posting on local Facebook pages that are gardening or trading oriented, other social media, Craig's List, etc. that you are looking for strawberries and what you are willing to pay or trade. I would not be surprised if there is a local farmer / gardener who let their runners get out of control and has extra. The only downside is they may not be able to tell you the variety. If that is a big concern and you are handy, you can put them in a diy set up like stackable milk crates or converted pallets, which to me easier to walk away from than putting in the ground. If you put them on wheels, then that may also help with the frost situation. You can get instructions from youtube videos and google searches. ETA: You can also purchase stackable or other containers or use / repurpose what you have.

Thanks for the testimonial on germinating alpine seeds, I have had germination issues with that seed type.
Strawberries set fruit on 2 year old plants but here you have to cheat a bit. If you can get at least a solid month of growth on plants you set out in the fall, that counts as "1 year equivalent" of root growth. After the first frost, the plants go dormant then they can grow and produce fruit in the spring. That's how a couple of the certified master Gardeners here explained it to me. Dealing with our seasons here is a pain in rear.

One year we didn't get our first frost til late January and my plants were in full bloom. They died back to the ground then started growing again a 1 1/2 months but couldn't produce any blooms. I think you need to have a frost that's plus or minus 1 month from our expected first frost date to force them into dormancy.

I'll try calling a couple friends up North and see if they can scrounge any plants. I'll probably try to grow some seeds next summer. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Danny
Reactions:

Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:53 pm

Wildcat82 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:05 pm

For my zip code, they will be shipping in March. Are you sure you didn't accidentally pre-order your plants for Spring?
https://www.jungseed.com/shipping?zip=78253

If you REALLY want to know for yourself, without any doubts, then give them a call. Good luck, hope you find the plants you want.

Danny
Reactions:

Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:16 pm

Just got an email shipping notice, my strawberries are shipped and on the way to me.

Vanman
Reactions:

Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:23 pm

We ordered Chandler plugs from Ison's. The commercial farms here grow this variety. They are supposed to ship this month.

Wildcat82
Reactions:

Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:31 pm

Danny wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:16 pm Just got an email shipping notice, my strawberries are shipped and on the way to me.
That's fantastic news. Good catch Danny!

Jung's website is all screwed up.

Two days ago, their website had strawberries for sale but clearly indicated a spring shipping date.

I just went to their website and when you click on Jung's drop down box for strawberries, they indicate they are sold out. But when you click the advert on their home page, they show they have strawberries in stock. Weird.

I'll order tonight. I think I'll try my favorite Sparkle along Mara des Bois.

Danny
Reactions:

Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:11 pm

Got my strawberry plants from Jung's today. Fast service.

Wildcat82
Reactions:

Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:09 pm

Danny wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:11 pm Got my strawberry plants from Jung's today. Fast service.
I ordered my plants 4 days ago and got them in yesterday via expedited delivery. They looked like they were all viable. I'll see how many actually survive and send out some green leaves. I'll report my success rate here in a week.

Two years ago I ordered from Burgess and they sent me a rotten mess in a bag. Zero grew and they refused to refund my money.

Uncle_Feist
Reactions:

Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:27 pm

Late to the discussion but Seascape is an absolute dandy I've been growing since 2018. If you haven't already grown it, it's a must try!

Wildcat82
Reactions:

Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:24 pm

Uncle_Feist wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:27 pm Late to the discussion but Seascape is an absolute dandy I've been growing since 2018. If you haven't already grown it, it's a must try!
What is your location? Have you tried any other day neutral varieties? They have some strawberry farms in Poteet Texas and last year I sampled Sweet Ann, Cabrillo, Seascape, Monterey, along with some June bearing varieties like Chandler, Ruby June, and Fronteras. I grew Festival in my garden though mites destroyed most of the plants. Me and my daughter thought Albion, Ruby June and Festival were they best tasting out of all of them.

Return to “Fruits/Berries/Currants”