First EM-Champion and Heart Comparisons

Let's see those Photos and videos!!
GoDawgs
Reactions:

First EM-Champion and Heart Comparisons

Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:37 am

This is the Honey drop cherry tomato and they're nice and sweet. It's loaded but when I picked a bunch yesterday I only got a very small handful that weren't badly cracked. We had a 2" rain a few days ago so that may be part of the problem. Maybe I waited too long to pick regardless of the rain? I had to pick off almost all of the tomatoes on the plant and hopefully it will load up again.

Labradors
Reactions:

Re: First EM-Champion and Heart Comparisons

Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:14 am

I'm growing Danko this season as I read that it might be even better than EM Champion. They are growing in cages side-by-side, and so far, Danko is more productive with many beautiful green hearts :). I can't wait to do a taste comparison!

Linda

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:39 am

@GoDawgs I always try to pick any tomatoes that are ripening before a big rain otherwise I too have mostly split tomatoes from all of the extra moisture being absorbed by the plants.
~ Patti ~

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:35 pm

I rate EM Champion as just about the best tasting determinate that I've trialed, but just about all of the hearts that I've tried were better. Danko was much better, but as a semi-determinate?, it grew about 5 feet tall. Perhaps initially being shaded by other plants caused that tall growth.

Labradors
Reactions:

Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:15 am

Tormato, my EM Champion is very short, maybe 2' max, and barely worth using a tall square cage for it because it likes to sprawl. Danko is also compact - maybe 3' tall here, in full sun. In contrast, the rest of the indeterminates are around 5' tall so far.

Linda

Return to “The Gallery”