Hornworms

Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Hornworms

Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:04 pm

Well, I just killed a tiny hornworm on one of my tomato plants. A leaf had some holes in it so I looked at the underside and there it was, about 1/16" diameter and 3/8 or a half inch long. Once we get out of this rain it will be time to spray with some BT again, I haven't sprayed any since July 4.

karstopography
Reactions:

Re: Hornworms

Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:24 pm

I haven’t seen any here in a while, weeks. There’s never just one hornworm, though, not in my experience. Maybe they sort of move in and then move out, the moths responsible. Drop whatever amount of little green eggs they do and go on to bigger and better things. Look around 3 or 4 feet off the ground on the tomato foliage, maybe you’ll spot some of the chartreuse hornworm eggs. They lay their eggs 3-4 feet off the ground on the outer tomato leaves here. Peppers, they have to go a little lower in most cases. I’ve had two waves this year, Bt destroyed them in each cases. One potentially bad outbreak based on the numbers of worms in late April and one lesser one a few weeks later. I usually have removed my tomato plants by this time of year, but I’m letting them ride for now. Bt works miracles on Hornworms, not many survive that for long.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Re: Hornworms

Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:10 pm

Well...I've got other things to worry about not, we had a microburst come through here yesterday, and leaving out the non-garden horrific results, all my planters on the deck got toppled over, and one in the yard. Plants came through pretty well, all things considered, the cages not so much. Lot of cleanup.

Return to “Diseases, Pests & Cures”