KitchenAid food grinder/strainer attachments

DirtTherapy
Reactions:

KitchenAid food grinder/strainer attachments

Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:24 am

Me again. I have a standard 5-qt KitchenAid stand mixer, and was looking into the food mill/grinder attachment that can be used to help make tomato sauce.

I see they have a white plastic food grinder, and also a metal food grinder. It appears that the fruit and vegetable strainer is compatible with only some of the grinders and not others, and there are a lot of negative reviews on it because apparently retailers are still selling the older grinder which doesn't work with the strainer. I'm thinking of skipping the whole thing... but does anyone have a KA setup they like that will crush tomatoes and extract skin and seeds? I know some third parties make KA compatible attachments. Last year E got me a slicer/shredder one that was a knock-off, and unfortunately the chute is very small and it couldn't shred cabbage very well. I don't think we'll be doing huge batches - maybe we're better off with an old fashioned hand crank food mill? BTW I also presume the white plastic would be easily stained by the tomato sauce.

https://www.kitchenaid.com/countertop-a ... mfvsp.html?

Ann

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Re: KitchenAid food grinder/strainer attachments

Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:13 am

I have the KitchenAid and no longer use it. It would heat up after awhile and the motor would drip oil (into the sauce). I had visions of a lot of tomatoes and replaced it with a Tre Spade tomato mill. The Tre Spade doesn't heat up as much due to the larger grid sized of the strainer. It also has a larger throat making it easier and faster to process the tomatoes. I pass the tomatoes through three times. With the KA I passed them through only twice.

If I were to use my KA again I would probably consider softening the tomatoes a bit in hot water so the machine wouldn't have to work so hard.

The Tre Spade is probably overkill for most users. It was a joy to use this year. It ate the tomatoes very quickly. Then I reduced the sauce in the oven over night. No stirring and the sauce tastes great with no spices added or necessary.

If it were not for the dripping oil I would recommend the KA. I don't know if this is unique to my machine. It is fine when using it as a mixer because it doesn't have to work as hard. For just a few tomatoes I would opt for one of the manual ones.

DirtTherapy
Reactions:

Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:46 am

Good notes, Zeuspaul. As a side note, a couple of years ago I found a YouTube video on doing a deep (outside) cleaning of my KA mixer, which I did, and then another video about how to clean the inside and replace the grease. I did that too, even though KitchenAid basically says no one should ever service their own mixer like that.

The few times I used my mixer enough to get it heating up were making first a very long-whisked egg-white cake batter, then a caramel Swiss meringue buttercream. I found that taking those soft ice-packs I use for muscle pains and draping it on the mixer, as well as packing some crushed ice bags around the bowl to help bring the meringue temperature down, really helped... as does putting a small fan onto the mixer. I do use it occasionally to make bread doughs, but typically they are very wet enriched doughs that would be too difficult to mix by hand, and I usually hold back the last bit of flour so the dough hook doesn't have as much resistance. I add the remaining flour right at the end and then give it a few kneads by hand or with a dough scraper. The only other attachment I use on my stand mixer is the pasta roller attachment, which I really like.

KA's aren't perfect, and mine is the small basic model, which isn't as strong as the professional models. But, if you're having a problem with it dripping oil, it's possible the thick motor grease has broken down and it's time to have it serviced.

There was a post/thread on another tomato site that had a roasted tomato sauce concept, and like you, I tend to do my homemade tomato sauce in the oven. Especially when reducing it. We have a small convection oven, like an overgrown toaster oven, and I find it works really well as a dehydrator on low settings. No chance of scorching on the bottom of a pot, and the tomato paste remains a very vivid color.

I may just search for a bargain online. Maybe someone's selling their food mill barely used. BTW, my mixer was my alltime favorite bargain. I always wanted one, but lived alone and really "shouldn't" be baking all the time anyway, so I held off. I remember when Service Merchandise went out of business, I had my eye on one and waited for the price to fall further. It didn't, and I scooped up my (very basic but has lasted I guess 15 years or so) food processor instead. When Amazon was still rather new to me, I saw KA was selling a few factory refurbished mixers online. I eyed one and still couldn't talk myself into it. The next time I went back to Amazon, it 'remembered' what I'd looked at and the price had dropped further, and I bought it. Free shipping and all. The price? $90. Basic white, but it's worked like a champ. I've spent more on the pasta attachment. :)

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:17 pm

Interesting, DirtTherapy, your story sounds like mine. Wanted a KA but couldn't justify it, bought the KA Food Processor at the Service Merchandise going out of business sale, a great machine and great bargain, and eventually found a refurbished KA mixer at the outlet store in white and finally sprung for it, lol. Two of my most loved appliances!

DirtTherapy
Reactions:

Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:14 pm

Sue_CT wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:17 pm Interesting, DirtTherapy, your story sounds like mine. Wanted a KA but couldn't justify it, bought the KA Food Processor at the Service Merchandise going out of business sale, a great machine and great bargain, and eventually found a refurbished KA mixer at the outlet store in white and finally sprung for it, lol. Two of my most loved appliances!
We're almost twinsies! :) Though the food processor I settled upon was a Black and Decker. Still going strong, though it didn't come with a lot of options. Just the one metal blade and the grater/slicer disk. The white plastic has started to really yellow over the years from age and light exposure, but it still works well. Edgar keeps threatening to buy me a fancy new one, but I don't need it and wouldn't want him to waste the money. Besides, he always ends up wanting to chip most stuff up by hand anyway. I do too unless it's something like the filling for Asian dumplings which I like to pulse together, or something I want to puree like roasted butternut squash.

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:41 pm

I have the KitchenAid 6 quart pro stand mixer.
Got it from the factory outlet store for a bargain.
Got the KitchenAid food processor on sale at the grocery store.
Just used the later this weekend.
Use it mostly for salsa.
Mixer used for all manner of things.
Mayonnaise.
Small batch sausage mixing.
Tamales both filling and masa.
Fruitcake.
Homemade butter.
Bread.
Much more.
No attachments because I don't need them and I find them to be too expensive and a little on the weak side.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

DirtTherapy
Reactions:

Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:40 am

Ha, among us we must have scooped up all the bargains on mixers! I do find it interesting that you've made mayonnaise in the stand mixer, Worth, and not the food processor. I guess I find I make about the minimum of homemade mayonnaise at one time (one egg yolk worth) that the stand mixer wouldn't work well. I was also given a stick blender (a Braun) with a whisk attachment, and that whisk in the right size jar makes mayonnaise right in the storage jar. If I ever make a bunch for say a large batch of potato salad, I will try it in the stand mixer, and probably would use whole egg for that application. :)

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:34 pm

I also have a stick blender and attachments.
Including a mini food processor.
If you read any of my cooking fiascos and I mention using the boat motor the stick blender is what I'm talking about.
The stand mixer makes some killer whipped cream.
I like to whip right up until just before it starts to turn to butter.
Worth

Nanooknorth
Reactions:

Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:15 pm

I have the strainer attachment for my kitchen aid and I wish I had saved my money. The part that holds the tomatoes to be strained is itty bitty. The the stained contents come out very high off the counter. What a mess. I am happy with my other attachments though. I use the meat grinder often.

DirtTherapy
Reactions:

Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:01 am

Thanks - I've really decided against it. Now I'm looking at something called the Victorio strainer, which is a manual, clamp-on-counter-edge food mill and strainer. I'm seeing some on ebay and other sites. Might not do it this year, but will keep an eye out for one.

Nanooknorth
Reactions:

Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:33 pm

That is what I have and use over and over. I purchased the various screens and the shorter spiral for making grape jam. It meets all my needs and I can a lot.

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:21 am

Nanooknorth wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:15 pm I have the strainer attachment for my kitchen aid and I wish I had saved my money. The part that holds the tomatoes to be strained is itty bitty. The the stained contents come out very high off the counter. What a mess. I am happy with my other attachments though. I use the meat grinder often.
If you use the meat grinder often you might consider a bit of an upgrade.
You might possibly wish you had a long time ago.
Nothing like the giant #22 I have but something a bit bigger than you have already.
I bet you would love this Weston #12 that is reversible.
Reversible helps when you get stuck and have to stop.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/weston ... 1301W.html
Worth

Return to “Preserving Methods, share recipes and techniques!”