Lightning Rod Plant?

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
GoDawgs
Reactions:

Lightning Rod Plant?

Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:48 am

Is anyone familiar with Leonotis nepetifolia, known as Lightning Rod plant or Christmas Candlestick plant? It was a featured "mystery" plant on a South Carolina Extension garden show and it looks like something I want to try as one of my "toys" in next year's garden. The presenter, John Nelson, retired curator of the A. C. Moore Herbarium at the University of South Carolina was giving away free seeds so I got some.

Here's an article on it that he wrote:
https://www.tallahassee.com/story/life/ ... 374004001/

It's in the mint family so I think I might want to try it in a few buckets as it might be invasive but I just want to see if it really is a good hummingbird attractor.

PlainJane
Reactions:

Re: Lightning Rod Plant?

Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:00 am

Have heard of it, and was thinking the same thing re: aggressive spreading. I’m also under the impression it prefers to be kept on the moist side. I think growing in a container is a good idea.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:41 am

It's always better to be on the safe side, eh? :)

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:31 pm

Did you know that the legend is the first mezcal was made by a lightning bolt hitting an agave plant?
It true and you heard it here first.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

peebee
Reactions:

Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:33 pm

We have something similar here, commonly called lion's ear or lion's tail plant. I planted a seed once years ago & while nice to have one around it reseeded everywhere & took a long time to get rid of. Beware.
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:49 am

peebee wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:33 pm We have something similar here, commonly called lion's ear or lion's tail plant. I planted a seed once years ago & while nice to have one around it reseeded everywhere & took a long time to get rid of. Beware.

Yes, I see that "lion's ear" is another name for it. Thanks for that heads up, @peebee . I will have to keep seed heads cut off. I intend to have the buckets on a gravel bed so that if anyaccidental volunteers show up the next year I can wipe them out with a shot of Round Up. I rarely use the stuff but keep some on hand for tactical use if necessary.

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:44 am

It is loved by hummingbirds and gets huge. It re-seeds itself easily so should be planted in an area that won't allow it to spread seed all over your gardens. It's a great looking plant and fun to grow. A nice conversation starter.
~ Patti ~

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:03 am

Thanks for that info, @MissS . I like to grow the unusual stuff where it can be seen from the road. "What are those crazy people growing NOW?" I'm sure that this year the Chinese Python Snake Beans made some people wonder! :lol:

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:11 am

I grew mine behind my border in it's own little strip of land. It looked amazing from the front of the garden. If you grow them in buckets they will need some strong support to prevent them from blowing over. Just do be aware that they are heavy re-seeders but a very fun plant to grow and the birds do enjoy them.
~ Patti ~

Return to “General Discussion”