Maglia Rosa Advice

Everything About Tomatoes
foxtailferns
Reactions:

Maglia Rosa Advice

Thu May 05, 2022 9:48 am

I have a couple of extra Maglia Rosa seedlings that I thought I might try in hanging baskets. From what I've read, it seems to be a pretty drape-y variety and I saw a pretty picture (I think maybe here on TJ) of a container sitting on a ladder with the vines hanging over. This is my first year growing it, so I'd love some advice. Do you think it would do well in a hanging basket? If so, what size should I look for? I have my other 2 MRs in 7 gallon nursery pots.

jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Re: Maglia Rosa Advice

Thu May 05, 2022 10:39 am

I've grown it and enjoy it! I do agree with it's wispyness it might be a good one to grow in a hanging basket. To me the biggest issue would be container size. To get a decent number of good tasting fruits, I suspect you would need a rather larger hanging basket--unless you rig up drip irrigation to it. I'm just thinking out loud--not speaking from experience on this specific idea--but pot size, without drip irrigation or someone watering multiple times per day, is probably the most important consideration.

Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Thu May 05, 2022 10:54 am

A hanging basket is probably a good way to grow a semi-determinate like this. I grow mostly indeterminates which I prune to double-leader, and I get consternated with the semi's like Maglia Rosa and Marzano Fire and Taste Patio (to name drop a few Artisan varieties) as to whether to leave them alone or try to limit the number of leaders.

Labradors
Reactions:

Thu May 05, 2022 11:29 am

I've heard of people growing M.R. in a hanging basket. I grow them in 3 gallon containers and cannot really imagine growing it in anything much smaller, so I'd say go for it, but get the biggest one that you can :).

Linda

foxtailferns
Reactions:

Thu May 05, 2022 1:19 pm

I was looking at hanging planters and most of the largest ones are all coir lined which I think will probably dry out too quickly here. The larger resin baskets I could find were all around 14" which seems too small. I was thinking I might be able to drill holes in a resin/plastic window box and hang it from both sides, but that might look a little wonky.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Thu May 05, 2022 6:34 pm

I never did MR in a basket but it might be fun. My baskets did better when I dunked them in a bucket to water, rather than just spraying with a hose. Also, about this variety, people seem to like them at different stages of ripeness. So if you don't like the first fruit you try, let one ripen longer and try it again, as the flavor changes substantially.

PlainJane
Reactions:

Fri May 06, 2022 6:11 am

From the way mine is behaving it would certainly grow in a large hanging basket. You may be watering twice a day when it’s hot.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Tomato Talk”