Mammoth peppers.

Donnyboy
Reactions:

Mammoth peppers.

Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:33 pm

I grow most of my peppers from seed, but I have not found a vendor selling Mammoth Jalapeno seeds (poosibly Baker Creek or Reimer). Most years, I buy plants from a vendor selling Bonnie plants. I put a face mask on today and ventured out to Home Depot. They had four plants, each about 4" tall for $3.85 each. I need about twenty plants, but I don't need them at $3.85 each. I went to one of my favorite private nurseries and bought twenty Mucho Nacho plants at $1.00 each. Mucho Nacho has always been my number two favorite jalapeno, so I didn't give up much.

I'm kinda enjoying this shelter in place, face mask, social distancing thing. I usually feel like I am rushing from one thing to another. In this virus thing, I find myself totally relaxed while concerned for my friends and family. My trip to Home Depot today was my first trip off our property in two weeks. I even enjoyed wearing my mask. It made me feel anonymous, but even without the mask; I am anonymous. I thought about walking up to a register with one hand in my pocket and saying "hand me the cash in the register. I didn't because not everyone enjoys my jokes.

While looking at the garden plants today, I was a good citizen and practiced all the rules of the day from the mask to the distancing. An old lady, probably ten years younger than me; walked up next to me looking at the same plants I was looking at. We were almost touching and then she reaches over and picks up some pepper plants in the flat of plants I'm holding. I was a little shocked but at the same time I was amused thinking she probably didn't get the memo. Oh well, I'll plant my peppers tomorrow if it isn't raining again and I'll venture out again in a couple of weeks and hope the virus thing is over so people can get back to living.

DMF
Reactions:

Re: Mammoth peppers.

Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:05 pm

Bought MJ there a week ago. He got me re-started growing. I don't wear a mask; the "surgical masks" don't protect you and aren't great at protecting others, unless you're a sneezer. Social distancing is for nervous people with BO.

The "virus thing" isn't going to be over until they get a widely distributed vaccine - a least a year. I'm in the "at risk" category, but see little reason to turn my life inside out in fear of what is inevitable.
Last edited by DMF on Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

Clkeiper
Reactions:

Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:47 am

@donnyboy... I cannot for the life of me figure out who thinks going to home depot or lowes and buying a single vegetable plant at 4 bucks is some kind of bargain. I buy commercially packaged seeds and a few are pretty expensive but not the kind they plant and sell by the millions. they are selling CHEAP varieties at that price. I went yesterday and paid 20.00 for 100 pepper seeds from a commercial vendor. not the stuff you would find at a big box store. Glad you got something at a far more reasonable price.

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:21 am

I could have bought a six pack of plants for a buck fifty at a nursery I go to.
This was about two months ago.
Planted and raised right there on the spot in a big greenhouse.

It's about the only surviving nursery around.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

roper2008
Reactions:

Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:42 am

$1.50 for a six pack, you won’t find that in Va Beach. At that price I would just buy the plants.. When I see how expensive Home Depot & Lowe’s are, I’m sure glad I start mine from seed. Maybe I’ll buy a couple plants from them, like I think I may go and get a Sunsugar I saw a Home Depot.
I plant at least 20 peppers, maybe more. That would be over $80 at the big box stores, crazy!

DMF
Reactions:

Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:43 am

BP isn't all that fastidious about the plants they prep, especially the herbs. If you poke around, you can find pots with multiple stems. E.g. I bought a $3 Basil with 7 stems. Split it into four pots, three double-stemmed, so paid effectively about 80 cents a pot.
- Will Rogers

Clkeiper
Reactions:

Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:55 am

DMF wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:43 am BP isn't all that fastidious about the plants they prep, especially the herbs. If you poke around, you can find pots with multiple stems. E.g. I bought a $3 Basil with 7 stems. Split it into four pots, three double-stemmed, so paid effectively about 80 cents a pot.
this is because of vacuum seeding, not because they aren't fastidious about what they are planting. the seeds are planted directly into the plug trays and then moved into pots (usually). it would be more costly than profitable for someone to stand there and separate these into smaller stems per pot.

DMF
Reactions:

Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:05 am

I was not suggesting that someone manicures the pots. I was suggesting that whatever method they use sometimes drops mulltiple seeds. QED

BTW, not all herbs like this. Dill hates to be split and transplated.
- Will Rogers

Donnyboy
Reactions:

Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:19 am

I finished planting my peppers this morning. Pretty good variety. Some are mild, some are hot, and some are super hot like Carolina Reaper. I'm also growing Brown Habanero which is supposed to be the hottest habanero. I like it because it makes a huge plant with huge peppers. I had to use a shovel to dig the dead habaneros out of my garden this winter. I couldn't pull them because the root balls were too large,

I eat and cook mostly the jalapenos. I don't try to preserve any of them. I don't mess with the super hot peppers at all except I do harvest them. My son in law has about three hundred people who work for him from many different countries. He carries most of my peppers to his employees all summer. He has some mid east, African; and latino people who eat the super hot peppers. I can't do it. I guess I'm a woose, but I don't care.

DMF
Reactions:

Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:37 am

Donnyboy wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:19 am people who eat the super hot peppers.
Some of those super-hot as super-too-hots. I've eaten them all and I enjoy very few. Jay's Peach Ghost/Scorpion is my favorite, and not very often.

You really want to make some Caribbean people happy, grow chocolate habs. The are important in many jerks. Brown habs may work as well. I've had luck selling bearing chocolate habs in pots for goodly amounts of $$.

Good for your son-in-law! Sounds like a great boss. Have a good year in your garden.
- Will Rogers

Donnyboy
Reactions:

Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:40 am

After my experience buying peppers at Home Depot, I believe I've bought my last Bonnie plant of any kind. It seems kinda stupid to pay about the same price for two small plants as one decent sized steak. Someone mentioned the fact that they don't practice the social distancing and mask wearing in public cause when your time is up, your time is up. I do it to protect the people around me from me. At my age, I'm not really concerned about it either. Que Sera Sera, what ever will be; will be. (Doris Day).

Donnyboy
Reactions:

Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:46 am

As far as I can tell, the Chocolate and Brown Habanero are the same pepper under different names. When I bought the seeds a few years ago, I believe they were labeled Chocolate Hab. Someone told me they are the same pepper as the Brown Hab so I started calling them Brown Hab's because Brown is easier to type.

DMF
Reactions:

Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:37 pm

Donnyboy wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:40 am I do it to protect the people around me from me.
I do too, if I'm sneezey, But really, protect them from what? If you don't have it, from nothing. The odds of being asymptomatic are pretty low, especially if you're susceptible. (And it's all just playing the odds, so don't dismiss the concept.)
- Will Rogers

DMF
Reactions:

Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:38 pm

Donnyboy wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:46 am As far as I can tell, the Chocolate and Brown Habanero are the same pepper under different names. When I bought the seeds a few years ago, I believe they were labeled Chocolate Hab. Someone told me they are the same pepper as the Brown Hab so I started calling them Brown Hab's because Brown is easier to type.
"Chocolate" makes them taste better. YMMV. :p
- Will Rogers

Donnyboy
Reactions:

Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:06 pm

I don't have the virus, but I wear the mask to keep others from worrying if my allergies from mowing the lawn cause me to sneeze.

Donnyboy
Reactions:

Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:33 pm

Many years ago, I bought all my garden plants at Lowes. They sold tomatoes and peppers in those six packs for $1.00 per six pack. I could plant my entire garden for ten or fifteen dollars every spring. One spring, I walked into Lowes and couldn't find the six packs. I asked the garden manager where the six packs were. He looked at me like I was some kind of idiot and said "we don't sell those anymore. All the plants are out front and they are sold individually for one dollar each. I went to Walmart and they also only had the single plants at $0.75 each. I've never bought another plant at Lowes, but I don't think they have missed me. I started growing from seed. I looked at a small packet of lettuce seed a few weeks ago and the price on it was $3.95. I put it back on the rack. I'm getting old, it may be time to rethink this gardening thing.

Clkeiper
Reactions:

Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:43 pm

Donnyboy wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:33 pm Many years ago, I bought all my garden plants at Lowes. They sold tomatoes and peppers in those six packs for $1.00 per six pack. I could plant my entire garden for ten or fifteen dollars every spring. One spring, I walked into Lowes and couldn't find the six packs. I asked the garden manager where the six packs were. He looked at me like I was some kind of idiot and said "we don't sell those anymore. All the plants are out front and they are sold individually for one dollar each. I went to Walmart and they also only had the single plants at $0.75 each. I've never bought another plant at Lowes, but I don't think they have missed me. I started growing from seed. I looked at a small packet of lettuce seed a few weeks ago and the price on it was $3.95. I put it back on the rack. I'm getting old, it may be time to rethink this gardening thing.
ya, I am also rethinking the buying seeds thing. More like I am thinking I can only afford to grow the seeds I save. I cannot believe the price on the packets or even the catalogs... I think Burpees must be the worst. :o :o :o for price though. who in their right mind thinks their prices are normal. I keep a catalog in my greenhouse incase anyone thinks 1.50 is too high for a cell pack of plants whether its one or 6.

Return to “Hots and Superhots”