create a soup, time of plenty

JRinPA
Reactions:

create a soup, time of plenty

Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:02 pm

Looking for ideas here. What makes a good combo in a soup?

End of August here and lots of fresh vegetables have been eaten, canned, and frozen. Not too much dried.

I already can a tomato basil celery onion garlic soup.. Found the original recipe years back at littlehouseliving. To cook it, I just shake the jar and open it, turn heat on high, add 1/4 c olive oil in stainless steel pot, stir in and cook 1/4c flour, then feed the soup in a bit at a time and keep stirring. Done right, I don't even get burned. Comes out great. Stores for years. Oftentimes I'll take a jar in the truck and pop it and just drink it. LIke a V8 that actually tastes good.

So I already have a tomato soup that never seems to get old.

I'm thinking of ways to try to use these excess vegetables and frozen meat in a pressure canned soup, preferably one we can eat cold with a couple spoons. But also okay to heat it.
We have plenty of
FROZEN
Whole Snap/Snow Peas
Fillet Pole Beans
Fine Ground Venison (3/16") >> also could spice this of course as Italian Sausage, but would not add pork
Coarse Ground Venison (3/4" plate for chili)
EDIT Frozen Cheese Ravioli!!

FRESH
Tomatoes
Okra
Eggplant
Sweet Peppers
Jalapeno Peppers
Habanero Peppers
Cayenne Peppers
Basil
Fennel
Potatoes
Red Beets
some rough Carrots
store bought Celery is an option
Fillet Pole Beans
Sweet Corn will be ready by next week
Will have a few pears, should have been a bumper crop year but had a bad, late freeze.

With meat included it makes any canning 85, 90 minutes, something like that.

Any ideas for good soup that would come together well under 10psi?

I'm not a big fan of BWB but could make an exception for a safe combo.

karstopography
Reactions:

Re: create a soup, time of plenty

Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:20 pm

Corn, okra, and tomatoes work well together.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

JRinPA
Reactions:

Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:27 pm

Thanks, I was thinking that as well. Should have corn ready soon. Tomatoes and chopped okra is listed as 35 minutes, but corn is 85. I think that would burn tomatoes. Maybe two jars, corn and meat + tomatoes and okra.

1972 Blue Book has some recipes and the times for everything, but unfortunately I don't have any "mangoes"....LOL I'll have to ask around if anyone ever called them that around here.
mangoes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stone
Reactions:

Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:12 pm

Are you making dinner or trying to can stuff?

When I have Bambi... I usually go out in the garden and pick stuff to add to the pot after the meat has cooked enough to be safe to eat...

The taters sound like a good place to start, I use sweet potatoes...

Those green beans are a good addition, and cow peas are always good too...

Those carrots are a good choice... and the corn...

I pick sweet potato leaves and add them... collard and lambsquarter would also work...

Definitely add plenty of hot pepper... season to taste... I use ghost pepper.

Personally, I would avoid adding tomatoes or okra... ew!

I use the tomatoes in chili, rice, pasta, but not deer soup!

Although... since you've already ground the meat...
You may want to go chili / mexican rice... I usually cook a chili and then add it to a pot of rice...

BWB?
I googled... still don't know.

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:17 pm

[mention]stone[/mention]
BWB= boiling water bath.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:58 pm

Ghost Pepper! I have never gone hotter than habs/thai dragon.

I am looking for canning ideas that can be eaten right out of the jar. For the most part that precludes rice. Though it could be cold rice pre-cooked and taken from the fridge. But how awesome would it be for a 10 minute December truck lunch to just pop one can of (un)stuffed peppers with the rice/peppers/tomatoes/ground venison right there...or chili with rice meat beans.

I already can a chili sauce for years now, but the meat and beans are rice need to be made seperately. I could can ground venison separately in pints. And bring cooked rice, and open a cold can of beans. But that is a lot of food and/or things to remember, and frankly it doesn't sound nearly as good as if it were all canned together with the flavor and consistency melded together.

BWB would be no meat for sure and most vegetables...for bwb most vegetables would need to be pickled. With pressure canning, the more fragile vegetables would get beat to heck by the long canning required for meat or corn.

I've been looking at Durgan's website and may just go the juicing route.

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:07 pm

[mention]JRinPA[/mention]
Durgan and I had some off line conversations about canning so we wouldn't get hammered by the germ Nazis.
If you can get hold of him pick his brain or better yet invite him here I like him and miss him dearly.
The guy knows what he is doing with the tests to prove it.'
Worth

JRinPA
Reactions:

Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:12 pm

I totally agree. I looked for him on here, then tried to PM him last week on the old site but his PMs are turned off or something. He posted there this year. We can try commenting on his website, but I have no idea how much he checks it. It was updated this summer.

stone
Reactions:

Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:39 am

I live in the deep south, where there is always food out in the veggie patch, so I don't bother with canning.
My experience with venison is that it's best left in the largest pieces possible.

When I had some from the processor cut into soup meat, and ground... It was nearly inedible.

When I butcher, I toss the largest pieces possible into the freezer, no wrapping paper or anything.

I use a hammer and cold chisel to get it out.
From there to the grill where I smoke the frozen meat until thawed and half cooked...
And then with a knife and hacksaw, into the pressure cooker...

After fully cooked... then fresh veggies... the more varieties, the better...

Ideally, I get enough veggies in there to get all the nutrients I need.

Hope my ideas help.

When I make chili / mexican rice, I get a blender full of cherry tomatoes, some hot pepper, sprigs of oregano... and after blending, very little cooking is required.

Your plan of instant meals should work... spoonful out of each jar, into the microwave.

And yes, I cook up a big pot of rice and jar it up... into the fridge, and rice at every meal until it's all gone.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:00 am

It is definitely different when you can have a kitchen garden year round. Here you need a greenhouse for sure if you want harvest anything other than maybe parsnips and such from December through mid April.

I don't need to use that ground venison, just have it as an option as it hasn't been used yet. Last August I made a bunch of ring bologna and such but didn't get to it this year. Some years I will save quarters whole, usually a time crunch, and for long term I agree bigger is better, but I feel that is a bit of waste for us because there are good steaks in each leg that get...taken hostage by the lesser cuts. A vacuum sealer has changed things here, for the last few years. Wet aging in the fridge is the real deal. So mostly I debone it all and we vacuum seal steak chunks, then have shanks, flanks, and the less tasty cuts for freezing whole or grinding. Scrap is frozen or canned for the dogs. Previously the necks and backbone and pelvis were picked then trashed, and the leg bones went to the dogs. For a few years I pressure cooked the necks and canned as BBQ but sometimes that meat is still tough. But now we took the scrapple plunge so those bones are going to toward that most excellent creation. It added probably 10-15% to the take from each deer from last winter. Especially when adding liver and heart into it. We netted something like 22lb of scrapple from my buck in January, using heart, liver, and the bones. Kept the 6 good bones, arm femur tibia, for the dogs. If we are eating scrapple, were aren't eating sausage or other meat. Add in the tremendous garden this year and we're back to the wonderful problem of too much to eat and how to get it from garden or freezer into convenient insta-meal jars that can eaten cold on the tailgate in Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb.

btw I just reviewed a post, ground meat from the processor being terrible. I would suggest never to take a deer to a butcher shop. You have no idea whose deer you'll get back, and what parts go into the grind, what good cuts they swapped out, and how long or how much of it hit the floor. Taking it to a friend that does deer on the side, that is one thing. But not a full on shop that has a bottom line to watch and might cut corners to do it.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:12 am

The other problem I have this year is the spring and summer harvest were two weeks late due to the weather. So I essentially have a two week squeeze to do all this stuff before freetime reverts from garden to hunting. September 1st was yesterday!

stone
Reactions:

Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:43 pm

JRinPA wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:00 am I just reviewed a post, ground meat from the processor being terrible. I would suggest never to take a deer to a butcher shop. You have no idea whose deer you'll get back, and what parts go into the grind, what good cuts they swapped out, and how long or how much of it hit the floor.
Yeah, I agree... The processed deer was a kick down... a neighbor cleaned out the freezer, and sent it my way.
Entirely possible that the meat was just in the freezer too long.

I have my own implements, I would never allow anyone else near my food.

Never heard of scrapple... but, I like corn meal...

Not sure I would ever consign the heart to that... The heart is the first thing I eat...

JRinPA
Reactions:

Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:11 am

I made some tomato basil soup the other day and ended up with 7 qt load + 3 extra. So I chopped fresh okra into that 3 qts of soup to bring it up to about 7 qts. I didn't want to be short so I and added maybe another quart of straight milled tomato juice. Turned out there was an extra quart, then, so that got eaten inside an hour. It is pretty good that way, 50/50 okra and soup. Okra would probably be good added 25% into unstuffed peppers as well. It has just been an unbelievable year for okra up here. Been picking long before I had tomatoes, and still no end in sight.

I just turned off the canner from a load of sausage. Well, by now the seal is probably down. (Was watching netflix with headphones while I waited, but boy, there is lot of dumb stuff on there. I want the old netflix back when they bought good shows instead of producing junk to call their own.) Simple ground venison, spiced like I do wild game sausage, minus the sage. I thawed out about 12lbs, browned it, and canned 6 qts and a pint, which is about right. I added no pork at all. I don't like the grease in jars. After a dozen pans of deer meat fried off, it had filled most of an 8qt pot. There was still almost no grease to speak of...maybe 1/4 or 1/2 c that went in that last, pint, jar. I couldn't find the instructions I've used before(someone's webpage, a good one) so I checked 5 hits on a search and all said "don't pack tight" and "add boiling water for 1" headspace". Beef Buillion optional. I added 1/2 tsp of buillion to each and did the water backfill, hope it turns out okay.

I have canned sausage patties before, with bacon ends as the 1/3 pork, and drizzled with maple syrup before canning. I remember using a wide mouth pint to size the patties, browned top and bottom, and stacked them in the widemouth quarts or pints. They were pretty good, but fatty, and a bit salty. When packed they were near full diameter to the jar, but they shrunk down quite a bit so that there was ample space between the stack of patties and the jar sides. The sealed jars were about half filled with juice, so the top 2 patties were dry, the bottom 2 wet. Both were good, and the dry could easily be wetted with the excess juice. Very, very tasty, they were. I don't believe that I added any water to those jars. I never add water to raw pack cubes. I may make them again this year, but I would only use maybe 10% bacon.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:25 am

That sausage turned out great but I see what I did wrong. Found my good instructions. I should have added water to the cast iron skillet I was using to brown the meat. Then stir it to make a flourless gravy to fill the jars. And I should have held off on the 1/2tsp of beef bullion, since it already had seasoning. Still though, very nice without any fat added.

First load in the canner from tonight's cook:
-milled tomatoes, 22qts, basically anything left that was any kind of orange or red, plus I cleared off all the sunsugars, intact or burst but good shape.
-chopped basil added
-okra added when that was cooked some. The okra was chopped at 1/2"-3/4".
-3 bulbs garlic, 10 sweet peppers, 10 jalapeno peppers, and 3 anaheims chopped in food processor and added near the end. I chickened out on the cayenne and habs!
I left an inch of headspace for the chunkiness. Should be 35 minute process (okra w/tomatoes, quarts) then it looks like another full canner plus a quart for the fridge.

I'll probably take it along to my brother's for lunch tomorrow. A rear leaf spring shackle rusted through on my truck. I'm going to limp up to his place and hopefully we get it back together without too many problems. There is already a dent up into my bed, but it is not punched through. It is reprehensible, what PennDOT sprays on the roads during any little bit of winter weather, just so people can drive unsuitable winter vehicles during snow without getting stuck. Magnesium chloride brine. For years now. Because it is cheaper to the state then using enough rock salt. This brine is atrociously corrosive to a vehicle's frame and undercarriage. What happened to snow tires? As a kid, we had a set for every RWD car and they went well enough. Plus, all cars have airbags nowadays, so if they go too fast and run off the road, they will learn a lesson, not get killed. But no, instead, let's ruin a million vehicles a year due to rust and nickle and dime the people that can't afford a new vehicle. Unless you get a new vehicle and wash it off after every storm, there is no stopping it. Who cares about them, it is a cheaper for us to apply and when they have to buy parts or whole different vehicles, we get 6%! We get 6% of the winter time car wash, too!

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:18 am

PA not a good place to buy a used car from.
Especially an old muscle car.
Worth

JRinPA
Reactions:

Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:58 am

Absolutely not. Good place to grow tomatoes and okra though. I may start shopping for vehicles down south. What is a good state that trucks are taken care of and don't rust out?

Got it fixed, but...such a long day. And depressing to look at all that rust for hours.

The good news is when I left this morning, I had 14 sealed qts of tomato/okra medley ready to add to the storage shelves. At least when the next truck part breaks in half, I won't need to walk to a grocery store for a long, long time.

Return to “Water Bath and Pressure Canning.”