Chocolate Reaper tasting!

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Chocolate Reaper tasting!

Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:22 am

A friend's 17 year old kid, who likes hot foods more than anyone else in their family, wanted to grow some peppers at their new location, and wanted to grow Carolina Reapers, so I told him that if he got the seeds, I'd start them with all my seeds in spring, but he could grow it - once was enough for me! lol He got the Chocolate, because he read somewhere that it was hotter than the regular. Today, I got a call from him, and he finally got the first fully ripe pepper on it!
ImageChocolate Reaper - taste tested 9-27. Not as hot as the Red Reaper a couple of years ago. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

He cut it down the middle, and I took the one with two veins, and gave him the one vein. Mind you, this kid had not even tried a half of one of my habaneros before - just small pieces of them! But here he was sampling a reaper, just to tell his friends he had done it, I assume.

I told him to spit it out, no matter what - I had told him stories of us getting people to eat red savinas, who didn't do this, because they got one that didn't hit them "right away", and they paid the price! He said I didn't have to convince him!

After I started chewing it, I knew it wasn't as hot as the Red Reaper I grew a few years ago. He chewed his for 18 seconds, and I made it to 40 seconds, before I had to spit it, and douse my mouth, which, as he found out, doesn't really help much - it's only the cold that helps, but it warms up fast! And he had a glass of tea for us, to bring back the heat, which I had taught him is a trick to pull on people - when they keep dousing their mouth with iced tea, it takes a lot longer for the heat to leave, due to chemicals in the tea! So I got this kid hooked on peppers, which is a good thing!

My testing method for the heat is not scientific, but it gives me a fair idea of the relative heat of the varieties. That Red Reaper I grew a couple of years ago was immediately the hottest I had ever had in my mouth, and I could barely make it to 18 seconds, while with ghost peppers and Trinidad scorpions made it to 38 seconds with several of them. I could have chewed this a little longer. The flavor was actually better than other superhots, with more of the so called habanero flavor - I'm thinking it is a cross of a chocolate hab and a reaper, then stabilized, for the color, but not nearly all the heat of the red reaper. Either way, I'll stick with the Chocolate hab - still to much heat in this, to use enough in a dish to get enough flavor, and still be edible, even for me!

He said this was definitely the hottest thing he had ever tried, by far. I'll bet he wants to try the red reaper next year...
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “Hots and Superhots”