Pickled okra

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Pickled okra

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:09 pm

I made some pickled okra today - first time I've tried this. I found a recipe by Alton Brown that looked good, so I tried that one.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alt ... pe-2040456

I only made 3 pints - actually, half liters, because those jars were slightly taller, so the okra fit in better. I only changed it by using 2 small crushed cloves of garlic in each jar, instead of one, one on bottom, then another on top, after packing it. I added a half tsp. of calcium chloride to one of the jars, to see if it makes any difference with these. I put about half the stems down, and half up, to pack as tight as possible, but the amount of pickling solution was still not enough (I made up 3/4 of a recipe, for the 3 jars) - I had to quickly make up some more, for the last jar. I processed them for 10 min. - the recipe doesn't call for this, but most do, and I won't be eating them quickly!
ImageA dry run on packing the okra in the half liter jars. About 7 oz per jar. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageA packed jar of pickled okra, before processing. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished pickled okra. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I'll let these age for 3 weeks, before trying them.

Anybody else here pickle okra?
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

karstopography
Reactions:

Re: Pickled okra

Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:10 am

Love pickled okra. Looks good.

I have never pickled my own.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

karstopography
Reactions:

Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:39 am

2B7F47E6-2E65-44B0-9D7B-C53F347629FB.jpeg
Now I have. Been pickling okra since early in September. Hard it is to wait the month to allow the pickling flavors to really get into the pods. I’ve already eaten 2 pints and working on my third.

Every jar is a little different on the spice mix. Whole Coriander seed is a must addition I’ve decided. I like the whole dill seed too. Most have whole fresh tabasco peppers from the garden and those are nice in the brine. Other additions have been mustard seed, cumin seed, black pepper and homemade pepper flakes. Garlic cloves have gone in every jar. Some jars got Anaheim pepper slices. One jar gota few baby ridged luffa.

Most have a mix of white distilled and rice vinegar. I like it best so far at about 40 percent distilled vinegar, 20 percent rice vinegar, 40 percent water.

I wasted a good quart of okra on a lacto fermentation that just was nasty. Not sure how that got derailed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:41 am

My mom and I used to pickle okra when I was at home as a kid.
We put up untold gallons of it and Jalapenos too.
I like a habanero or two cut up and put in each quart jar one per pint.
It is a 50/50 mix of white vinegar to water some canning salt to taste garlic cloves dill and the peppers.
Nothing fancy.
Did some with tarragon too.
Maybe next time I will add some lime juice.
I always make more brine than I need and use the rest for something else if there is any left over.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:50 pm

I tried those pickled okra a while back, and it was good, but a bit too sour. Next time (next year) I'll try 60% water to 40% vinegar, instead of the 50:50 this time. This is what I used in the dill pickles this year, which were great.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:56 pm

Sister Pickles put up a few pints for the first time early in the season to see how we liked them. It was just a basic recipe with garlic cloves, some dill seed and I think she put in some jalapeno slices. They were good enough to start messing with the recipe so thanks for the ideas on additions. It'll have to wait until next year though as the okra's about done.

Return to “Water Bath and Pressure Canning.”