Tomatoes that dry through their skin

Share your breeding experiments and crosses you're working on
Pippin
Reactions:

Tomatoes that dry through their skin

Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:17 am

Every now and then one meets (cherry) tomato variety that dries out quickly after picking if one leaves them on kitchen table top for a week or two. These wrinkly tomatoes actually tastes quite good because the flavor, sugars and all other good stuff in there has intensified and compressed. The tomatoes don't go bad, not moldy or anything, they just dry. If one waits enough, one get tomato raisins. I have had mixed feelings about them, haven't really known what to think. Been annoyed frankly. Examples of varieties that seem to behave this way are Vnuchenka (a Russian sp red cherry) and one determinate black stripy cherry, maybe Safari, not quite sure.

I ended-up crossing Vnuchenka with a red cherry tomato in 2018 and had plenty of red cherries in season 2020 in my F2 grow-out. I did observe few slowly drying tomatoes, not many though. One plant stood out with very good yield and deep red little cherry tomatoes. But it had this strange drying behavior that I almost rejected it. Then I changed my mind and decided that this could be something interesting to follow and saved the seeds. Let’s call him Wrinkly.

Below some picks of the Wrinkly F2. I hope the close-up photo shows the cracks in the skin of fresh tomatoes - that is probably the reason why they dry. It takes 1-2 weeks (after picking) to get them wrinkled-up. For some reason, they don't dry that easily if attached to the plant. Tomatoes in Vnuchenka also dries when attached to the plant but it takes really long time, you need to abandon the plant. But those dry little raisins are extremely sweet. Wrinkly tomatoes are actually very good tasting even when not completely dried out e.g. on top of pizza.

drying_plant.jpg
drying_plant_2.jpg
drying_fresh.JPG
drying_close_up.JPG
drying_close_dry.JPG
drying_group.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BR,
Pippin

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Re: Tomatoes that dry through their skin

Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:33 am

Very interesting! How long were those Wrinkles sitting to get that wrinkly?
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

Pippin
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:16 am

They get this wrinkly in two weeks if left uncovered in normal room temperature. I think the picture is roughly on two weeks mark. At this stage, they are not dry enough for long-term storage, still moist inside. Obviously, there is a genetic factor involved, would not be surprised if it was one or two recessive genes.

There are some commersial varieties that market similar behavior, e.g. Tomaccio and Sugar Plum Raisin.
Last edited by Pippin on Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
BR,
Pippin

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:23 am

I would assume that those fast drying types are the thin skinned types, compared to the thick skinned ones - the type that can sit on the counter for a week, and not look much different, like the Sprite grape tomatoes I grew last year. The skin is almost crunchy, it is so thick!
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Pippin
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:46 am

I really like Sprite, one of my favourites. Excellent choise! :)

Strangely, I would describe Wrinkly as thick skin variety, almost tough. It does not split from excess watering. It is not crunchy like Sprite, it is meaty rather than crispy or bursty. May have smaller seed cavity and more flesh than typical cherry. More acidity and less sugars than Sprite when eaten fresh.
BR,
Pippin

bower
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:07 pm

This is an interesting feature, and why not? A tomato especially for drying.
Being able to dry them on the counter is great, but you could also finish the process in a dehydrator if necessary. Or perhaps they would dry quickly in the dehydrator, compared to another variety. Either way it's a win.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:46 pm

My Micro Tom did the same wrinkling thing and totally dried out just sitting in a cup on the counter. Surprisingly the tomatoes on of the F2 plants is doing the same thing but much is drying at a much faster rate.
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

Pippin
Reactions:

Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:00 am

Maybe you observation of F2 plants drying faster that Micro Tom hints to the same direction than my experience that there might be more than one gene controlling this? :o I didn’t observe it in F1, so maybe recessive ones.

I have only observed such drying on determinate plants, never on indeterminates. The new commersial tomato raisin varieties seem to be indeterminates.

I need to start using a magnifying glass when screening the sibling lines of Wrinkly in next generation. :D Having one such line is fun and interesting but for the rest, I consider it as a defect.
BR,
Pippin

MrBig46
Reactions:

Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:25 am

In 2018 I received three seeds of the Arielle F1 variety. The company declared that the fruits can be dried both on the plant and at home on the table. I grew one plant and tried to dry it both on the plant and at home at room temperature. On the plants, the fruits cracked and molded, at home some really dried up, some cracked and fermented. Never again.
Vladimír

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:17 pm

I wonder, just how much all these tomatoes drying on the counter have fermented. I lacto-ferment many of my cherry tomatoes for my kids and it only takes a couple days in what is less hospitable than my counter.

Still, i would love to have tasty counter dried tomatoes
- - - - - - - -

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:46 pm

Hmm, I'm not sure about on the counter, but Green Tiger and Maglia Rosa wrinkled for me on the plant. I think Tigerella did, too.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Pippin
Reactions:

Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:05 am

I would be interested in learning how cherry tomatoes can be lacto fermented, Rob. This is something I have never heard, although I am familiar with the process for cabbage, for instance. I have tried fermented Jerusalem artichokes which are very good but never tomatoes. Are the tomatoes covered in liquid when staring the process? Do you first ferment and then dry them?

I see the point of having lacto basillus involved in the drying of these tomatoes too because this good microbe is everywhere in nature, on leaves, berries, probably on our skin too. I did not observe anything pointing to this direction with Wrinkly, e.g. on the taste but of course I cannot deny that option nether. I did use composted cow manure when preparing the beds for my tomatoes. That stuff should be full of lacto basillus goodness. On the other hand, none of my other tomatoes dried so it would still require specific tomato cultivar for the lacto basillus to enter the fruit to start the process. I like the idea, what a super food that would be.

I checked my note and it seems that the second drying cultivar was Black Zebra Cherry which is also determinate (assuming there might be more than one with this name), not Safari.

I grow Maglia Rosa too, and it has never done this for me. MR is a lovely variety, special in so many ways.
BR,
Pippin

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:31 pm

[mention]Pippin[/mention] , lacto fermenting tomatoes is done just like anything else really, but there are some tricks to make it work better.

1) Poke a small hole into the tomato to allow the transfer of the brine into the tomato. A tooth pick works great.
2) I find mild seasoning is best. Basil, onions, chives is about all i would use. But of course this is personal preference.
3) I go light on the salt when making the brine. 2% by weight.
4) 3 days on top the refrigerator and 4 inside the fridge is plenty, without going overboard. Again, this is personal preference.

*Sometimes I'll leave out the first step and let it sit an extra day ontop the fridge. This gives the tomatoes a "pop" or "fizzy" action. The kids love this.

Drying the tomatoes after fermenting has been on my to-do list. I didn't get a chance yet cuz they are all gone before i can lol. Though, i don't think the bacteria would be as effective after drying. It would be more for the taste.
- - - - - - - -

Pippin
Reactions:

Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:55 pm

Thanks, Rob!

I need to test that recipe next season. Always glad to learn new ways to using tomatoes. :D
BR,
Pippin

Return to “Tomato Crossing/Breeding”