Seed Saving and Fusarium Wilt

Hatgirl
Reactions:

Seed Saving and Fusarium Wilt

Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:51 am

One of my container tomatoes seems to have Fusarium Wilt. I saved some seed from it before I realised the plant was infected. Can Fusarium Wilt be transmitted by seed? If so, is there a way I can treat the seeds to prevent it from transmitting? Or am I better off dumping the seed?

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Re: Seed Saving and Fusarium Wilt

Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:51 am

Fusarium is a fungus, and I don't believe it resides within the seed. Viruses are the big seed infector. What I would be worried about it possible dirt on the seed's outer coat. Use a light bleach and water mix to clean then off and that should take care of possible contamination.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

Hatgirl
Reactions:

Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:02 pm

I saved the seed using the classic three day fermentation process, so it's unlikely there could be dirt on them, but thank you for the suggestion.

patihum
Reactions:

Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:46 pm

Table 2 from Cornell University Hort and Ext
Diseases of Vegetable Crops Caused by Seed-borne Pathogens

Tomato
Alfalfa mosaic virus
Anthracnose
Bacterial canker
Bacterial speck
Bacterial leaf spot
Cucumber mosaic virus
Early blight
Fusarium wilt
Late blight (requires both mating types)
Leaf mold
Septoria leaf spot
Tomato mosaic virus
Verticillium wilt
Double virus streak

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:50 pm

You could clean them with oxy clean or peroxide. A hot water bath also works, but is a little more difficult and can affect germination rate. How water baths kill viral pathogens inside the seed.

Hatgirl
Reactions:

Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:31 am

Cole_Robbie wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:50 pm You could clean them with oxy clean or peroxide. A hot water bath also works, but is a little more difficult and can affect germination rate. How water baths kill viral pathogens inside the seed.
Is a Hydrogen peroxide solution applied after collection or before sowing? If it's after collection, as my seeds are dry now would the Hydrogen peroxide solution soak trigger germination or could I let them dry again after?

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:32 am

Hatgirl wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:31 am
Cole_Robbie wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:50 pm You could clean them with oxy clean or peroxide. A hot water bath also works, but is a little more difficult and can affect germination rate. How water baths kill viral pathogens inside the seed.
Is a Hydrogen peroxide solution applied after collection or before sowing? If it's after collection, as my seeds are dry now would the Hydrogen peroxide solution soak trigger germination or could I let them dry again after?
I use oxy clean when harvesting the seeds which is a chemical that converts to hydrogen peroxide when it reacts with organic matter, so it's pretty similar. I don't think you would have to soak them in the peroxide very long at all if they are already clean, probably just a few minutes. That should give them time to dry without germinating.

Hatgirl
Reactions:

Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:33 am

My 6% Hydrogen Peroxide arrived yesterday. Based on this paper I guess I will soak the seeds for an hour (Edit: whoops not an hour, for 20mins) and then let them dry again.

Anyone have any experiences that indicate this wouldn't work?

Return to “Seed Saving Methods, Tips & Discussion”