So much heartbreak.

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
Spike
Reactions:

So much heartbreak.

Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:50 am

Fortunately I still have a few raised beds but watching the garden get tilled under is just so very sad. Because of the angle of the picture, it doesn't look like all that big, but the tractor is a give away and my friend always enlarges it for each year! :lol:

thumbnail_Resized_20210929_110732.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There is freedom waiting for you, On the breezes of the sky, And you ask 'What if I fall?' Oh but my darling, What if you fly?

bower
Reactions:

Re: So much heartbreak.

Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:44 pm

I feel the same way, Spike! :) I have a few pea plants that came back from the dead and started to flower again. I can't bear to cut them down. Prepping to plant my garlic means tearing out whatever is left... I actually moved some things into the empty beds that were garlic this year, well just to see if they overwinter or what. It's a cover crop now. ;)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Gardadore
Reactions:

Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:16 am

Yes, agreed. The garden has been a labor of love so hard to say good by till next spring. The job of cleaning up the beds, both veggie and perennial is taking me longer than usual because I am a year older and can’t work as fast!
Still enjoying pole beans which I pick every two days. Weather has finally gotten much cooler. With all the rain recently mosquitoes made the clean up a challenge. Should get a lot done today. Temps high in low 60’d.
Will feel better when veggie beds are finally clean and mulched with straw ready for next year! Then can sit back and plan! 😀

brownrexx
Reactions:

Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:28 am

By this time of year I am a bit tired from all of the kitchen work I have been doing with preserving everything for the winter. I actually like seeing my garden rototilled because it looks like a nice fresh canvas for the future. Seeing that beautiful freshly tilled soil makes me feel like planting something but then it gets cold and I forget about it and I'm happy that my garden has been put to bed for the winter.

slugworth
Reactions:

Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:22 am

I used to have tomato plants until frost,but due to the jungle weather by labor day the garden is kaput.
I was able to salvage a few plants that survived,and have them indoors under lights.
I had 120+ plants and very few tomatoes made it to my mouth.
Next year I will have fewer plants to babysit,but I say that every year.
A guy with a raised bed 3 feet off the ground still has nice green plants,so it has to be a soil temp thing.
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

CrazyAboutOrchids
Reactions:

Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:47 am

I have not cleared out my garden, but will soon in order to clean up prior to planting my garlic. I still have Sunsugar pumping out cherries and Dester and a hybrid, Buffalosteak, trying to ripen up a few last tomatoes. My beans and jalapenos are still at it as well. I have not pulled carrot yet. Sad to see it go each year. Already planning for next!
- Sandy zone 6A

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:19 am

A lot of the beds here have been cleared but there are freshly planted brassica and carrot beds and the onions and garlic have yet to go into the ground. The peppers are still hanging in there and the fall bush beans are almost ready for the first picking. I have a little way to go yet. This garden never really stops during the winter but thankfully it slows way down so I can get a breather and shake off a bit of garden burn out until after Thanksgiving when the catalogs start arriving and making me antsy to grow something again. :lol:

Spike
Reactions:

Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:45 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:19 am when the catalogs start arriving and making me antsy to grow something again. :lol:
So much truth to that statement. I have all ready been buying seeds. :roll:
There is freedom waiting for you, On the breezes of the sky, And you ask 'What if I fall?' Oh but my darling, What if you fly?

Return to “General Discussion”