Got Deer???

JRinPA
Reactions:

Re: Got Deer???

Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:38 pm

I'm glad that you@karstopography are able to enjoy the Texas system of locked up/leased/who you know land access. Truly, it is not for me. I grew up romping in corn fields and creeks with permission gained by asking. I would not have been able to afford a lease, nor even would my brother with his paper route. I think it should stay as it is, here in PA. Lots of public land, and responsible, permission based use of private land. Not lawyer's and banker's contracts.

My point regarding hunting in this thread is that for keeping deer from destroying one's garden, a key is to keep the population in check. The best way to do that is to get responsible, licensed hunters to help - aka, your neighbors. Whether that is on your own 3 acre plot, or the neighbor's woods, every gardener can help themselves by talking to their community to increase hunter access. Even if laws need to be changed. In PA the safety zone for bowhunting near residences or businesses is a mere 50 yards. That is how safe it is. A properly bow shot deer runs 30-70 yds in the 7 seconds after the arrow hits, before it falls. Even small plots of land can be hunted with cooperation. Afterwards you have somewhere from 25-50 lbs or more of lean, healthy meat, and lots of memories.

Also, it is really important to gets kids involved in nature, both flora and fauna, in this world of terribly encroaching tech. Like gardening, hunting does not need to be expensive, and many states have youth programs to encourage kids to venture afield.

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:03 am

If I had a deer I would turn the whole thing mixed with pork into tamales.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:41 pm

@worth1 that sounds like a delicious idea. Now, thats a lot of tamales by my reckoning.....
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:06 pm

Amateurinawe wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:41 pm @worth1 that sounds like a delicious idea. Now, thats a lot of tamales by my reckoning.....
There was a lady that made tamales when I was a kid and that's exactly what we did with at least one of the deer my dad shot on our place every year.
I probably cut my baby teeth on deer tamales. :lol:
Shot my first deer with a wildcat gun called a 30 Gibbs.
You couldn't buy ammunition you had to make it.
I made and hand loaded my own for that deer.
I had just turned 13 years old.
The 30 Gibbs is a modified 30-06 cartridge that holds more powder.
Awesome hunting cartridge.
30 GIBBS cartridge (1).JPG

G1019-GIBBS-7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Worth

JRinPA
Reactions:

Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:35 pm

I have to ask, simply because I have no clue, what the 2nd and 3rd cases supposed to be? 2nd is 35 whelen?

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:29 am

JRinPA wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:35 pm I have to ask, simply because I have no clue, what the 2nd and 3rd cases supposed to be? 2nd is 35 whelen?
It looks like it.
No idea why they would go that route.
We used military 3006 cases and blew them out for the steeper angle and longer shoulder.
Started helping my dad do this when I was about 4 or 5 years old.
Worth

karstopography
Reactions:

Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:24 pm

Wonder what calibers/manner most folks hunt or have shot or harvested deer?

My favorite whitetail caliber is 30-30 Winchester, at least for short range stalk/still hunting in cover. Open sights, old model 94. That’s if I want to enjoy the hunt, setting up the stalk is the fun part. No one I know uses shotguns for deer, but I know that’s popular in some areas. I like the option to make a clean neck or head shot. Drop that deer in its tracks.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:48 am

karstopography wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:24 pm Wonder what calibers/manner most folks hunt or have shot or harvested deer?

My favorite whitetail caliber is 30-30 Winchester, at least for short range stalk/still hunting in cover. Open sights, old model 94. That’s if I want to enjoy the hunt, setting up the stalk is the fun part. No one I know uses shotguns for deer, but I know that’s popular in some areas. I like the option to make a clean neck or head shot. Drop that deer in its tracks.
25-06 and 30 Gibbs for me.
I have an old 25-06 built back before Remington adopted the cartridge.
Yes another wildcat. :lol:
Everything high velocity and very long range.
Since I hand loaded ammunition for people and repaired rifles I have had the opportunity to shoot all manner of makes and models.
Some really expensive some not so expensive.
One of my favorites was a raggedy old beat up 30-30 an old black man up the street brought to me to sight in.
It had a scope on it.
I took it out that morning did my job and gave it back to him.
Didn't charge him anything.
He got his deer that afternoon.
I did a lot of free and discount work for my little neighborhood I lived in.
Many people on fixed incomes and so on that depended on the meat for food.
Not just deer but all manner of critters like squirrel and raccoon.
One old guy in his 70's down from Houston to get his double barrel shotgun fixed.
The rich places in Houston said they couldn't fix it.
Its broken and will never work again.
I looked up the schematics and discovered who made it and got another firing pin for it.
It had Sears on it but another well known company made it.
Charged the guy 10 dollars.
He was so happy his old shotgun was fixed and that was payment enough for me.
I even took him out to the gun club and let him shoot my long range target rifles at 600 yards.
Can't count how many one gallon water jugs I have killed.
To me it's putting the bullet on target very far away so nothing has to die to prove I can shoot.
Worth

Yak54
Reactions:

Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:59 pm

You're a good man Worth. :)

Dan
Dan

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:08 am

karstopography wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:24 pm Wonder what calibers/manner most folks hunt or have shot or harvested deer?

There are so many calibers now...in the 90s hunting with the gang, I'd say most had 3006 or 270, and mostly Remington pumps. We're not allowed autoloaders here for deer, though sadly, it is coming. So Rem pumps were king for deer drives. Once in a while an invited yahoo would show up with something like a 300 win mag bolt gun with a huge scope and the hicks would snicker. Especially shooting the tire. For practice/fun the weekend before, we'd shoot a tire with cardboard in the center, rolled and bouncing down a hill. I'm sure there was some wagering involved that went over my head at that age.

My dad was partial to 25 cal as he got older, so us kids shoot a few 25s on deer. 100 gr soft points around 2800 to 3000 fps out of them. Deer here don't need more if you have a proper angle to shoot. But some areas are "special regs areas", which includes muzzleloaders or shotguns with slugs. So for those areas we use 50 cal inlines, that shoot .45 cal bullets in a plastic sabot @ 1800-1900 fps. Muzzleloaders are of course a single shot, but we sometimes manage two deer from the same group, reloading in the treestand. Most of my deer nowadays are killed during archery season, inside 30 yards. I got my buck a couple weeks back. 55lbs went toward sweet bologna, plus some steaks. Can't do that with paper targets...I have a doe from a few days ago hanging out back right now, since it got cold enough to hang. I'm getting the grinder out today; I'm thinking ring bologna. I have a bunch of pastrami in a the fridge ready to smoke as well.

This past week the number of deer hit on the road has skyrocketed due to the rut starting combined with the colder weather. It is good time to start driving a bit slower in the evening and the early morning hours.

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:26 am

I used to load a 300 Winchester magnum for someone with 180 grain Nosler ballistic tips with a compressed load of H 1000
Very accurate and slowed the bullet down to about 2900 fps.
Shots were out to around 300 yards.
My 30-06 I use a compressed load of 61 grains H 4350 behind a 150 grain nosler ballistic tip for a velocity of 3000 fps.
It's little Browning A Bolt Medallion I picked up like brand new for about 300 dollars less than a new one.
It even came in the box.
It kicks like 5 mules all at one time because it is so light.
I new immediately why it was traded in.. :lol:
But I don't mind and it shoots 3/8ths groups or better at 100 yards.
That's 3.75 inches at 1000 yards.
Or 2.250 at 600.
I bought it to make a 300 Winchester magnum but it shoots so sweet I couldn't do it.

It has a scope on it I picked up used for less than half the price it went for.
It a Shepherd DRS.
They go for around $1000 now.
Here's what you see in the scope.
20211107_112416.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Worth

MissS
Reactions:

Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:51 am

It's rutting season here. Three large bucks with beautiful racks were walking down my driveway when I got home last night. I had to honk at them to get them moving. Even though our herd was culled by 53 during the spring, the herd is large and is eating things that they just do not like, such as milkweed. If they are doing this while the plants are still green then winter is going to be devastating to our trees and bushes. Last year the devoured the spruce trees to as high as they could reach. They have eaten everything palatable to them. There is a highway close by that has blocked them in. I don't know if they are planning on a fall culling or not. For everyone's sake including the deer, I hope that they do.
~ Patti ~

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:29 am

Yesterday a nice buck walked out in front of me.
Fat as a pig beautiful rack and huge.
I hope no one kills it.
Worth

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:43 am

Our county highway dept and animal control has decided to stop picking up the road kill carcasses off of the roads. It is rather ugly driving up to our neighborhood. There are three disemboweled deer carcasses, two raccoons and an opossum on the road with their entrails strewn about. The coyotes are having a feast! Pretty soon everyone is going to start to complain about the coyote population which is going to boom. If we could keep the deer population down and clean up the roadkill then the coyotes would move on since they now have our rabbits under control. With all of the free meat on the roads, there is no reason for them to move on. There is a report of a large cat in the neighborhood too. It's a vicious cycle. If you want to remove the predators then you have to take over their work.
~ Patti ~

Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:56 am

MissS wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:44 amThings that I use to deter the deer are:

Deer Scram. I buy it on Amazon but it's a little pricey and needs to be applied after every rain.
How well does this work? Can I sprinkle it on the surface of the soil in a planter without affecting the plant or fruit?

MissS wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:51 am I don't know if they are planning on a fall culling or not. For everyone's sake including the deer, I hope that they do.
They start around here this month. I think they canceled last year's.

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:23 pm

@Setec Astronomy I do use Deer Scram. It works very well for awhile in this neighborhood. Here I find that I have to rotate the products or they seem to get used to it. In most neighborhoods where the pressure is a bit less, people seem to have great results all season long. I can sprinkle it directly on my plants and my soil without ill effects. I think that you would like it.

We had no fall culling and the deer are as plentiful as before. Many of us are starting to file formal complaints again so hopefully someone will listen and make some sort of long-term plan to keep the numbers in check with the food supply. If you drive down the street it looks like someone opened the doors to a school bus and let all the children run free in the snow. There are tracks galore in every yard! The problem is that the tracks were not made by the children, they were made by the deer.

Here is a picture of yesterday's traffic.
20220104_120845.jpg
~ Patti ~

Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:43 pm

When they do the culling around here it's in the wildlife reservations...so it's kind of an indirect effect on our suburban neighborhoods which are some miles away. Some years ago I planted a lilac bush, and was frustrated that it didn't seem to be growing. Then one morning I was looking out the window and a deer strolled over and chomped the top off, so that explained that. I now have netting around it so you can't really see it but at least it got taller.

I have inconsistent problems with the deer, so it's hard for me to tell if any of the repellants work, I've used the stuff that seems like Lifebuoy in a net bag, and when I couldn't get that, some Irish Spring. Also the spray that has garlic and egg putrescence in it. I think I'll give the Scram a go this year, based on your recommendation.

bjbebs
Reactions:

Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:56 pm

I could go on forever on this topic. Have hunted deer since the late 70's in Illinois. Back then if deer were seen I considered it a successful hunt. The herd exploded starting around '82-'83. Our DNR was blessed with 2 of the best wildlife biologists that could be found anywhere. The herd was managed based on real life data. Deer kills were checked, measured and documented by humans. Subsequent quotas were based on this documentation. Counties that showed the need to be thinned were issued more tags to fill. With the retirement of these wildlife managers came the end of check stations.

The politicians saw the $ grab.
Resident tags were sold regardless of hard data. Licensing fees went into the general fund. Illinois had become THE deer hunting state. The 2 counties I hunted were year in and year out the best producing for quality deer in the US. I owned land in one and hunted the neighboring county. The outfitters moved in and began to buy and lease land. The land I paid nothing for in '78 became valuable. This story does not end well for the deer herd. The herd never recovered from over hunting.

Managing deer in densely populated areas is often times based on deer- vehicles collisions, not hard data. Throw out the computers, get back to check stations and manage by real life numbers.

Miss S., I travel I 39 several times a year, heading up north. I truly belive your DOT does a good job in removing road kill. Maybe they employ a different strategy in cold weather months.

As to the problem in residential gardens, we all know is human population expanding their territory into deer country. Remove their homes and they will move to yours.

I refuse to fence my garden at home and will share with most critters, including deer. My country garden in deer land is in garlic only. No fencing and damage is minimal.

I understand the frustration the home gardener feels when their hard work ends up in the belly of a deer. As I see it, you fence or you share.

Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:08 pm

bjbebs wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:56 pm
Managing deer in densely populated areas is often times based on deer- vehicles collisions, not hard data. Throw out the computers, get back to check stations and manage by real life numbers.
Here they do it by infrared helicopter survey at night.

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:39 pm

@bjbebs Our county has just recently decided to leave the road kill to decompose naturally if they are on county roads. Municipalities are responsible for clearing deer off of their own roads. This practice is only about one month old and it is not sitting well with the public. The interstate highways are always cleared of any debris be it animal or otherwise.

Excerpt from JSonline: The rules have since changed, Pearson said, they can be simply pulled into the woods or down into a ditch."
~ Patti ~

Return to “Diseases, Pests & Cures”