Whatcha Cooking today?

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
Whwoz
Reactions:

Re: Whatcha Cooking today?

Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:08 am

That looks good, any particular ingredients other than pasta, tomatoes and a few herbs

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:47 am

Tasty taco with homemade corn tortilla fresh off the comal.
Egg ground chuck chili powder and pickled jalapeños.
This is a red letter day for me and making corn tortillas. :D
20211003_084109.jpg
20211003_084212.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:01 pm

Boneless skinless salt brined chicken thigh dusted with flour and corn starch pan fried in EVO.
Then dusted with garlic powder.
Topped with cotija cheese.
Fettuccine cooked to perfection.
Alfredo sauce.
Freshly ground black pepper.
Pffft peasant food. :roll:
20211005_195341.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Worth

rxkeith
Reactions:

Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:21 pm

it was a very colorful dinner tonight.

detroit dark red, and a few golden beets. sweet as candy.
magic molly potatoes. about as purple as you can get, inside, and out.
four kinds of winter squash, my wife was saying she didn't get hardly any the last two times
i baked some, so i fixed that wagon.
scarchuks supreme, excellent as always.
thelma sanders sweet potato, very good, but not as good as scarchuks.
mountaineer hybrid, very good, i am liking this cross.
a small dark green squash with light silver stripes i got from a local market farmer who got it
from baker creek. deep golden flesh, good flavor, but very dry.
all of the above came out of the garden.

i sauteed some boneless beef short ribs in the cast iron skillet. i think they would have been better
slow cooked, but didn't plan ahead.

i had to put the slaw salad with garden cabbage, broccoli, carrots, onion, garlic, cucumber, and tomatoes in the
fridge for later. i am stuffed.

keith

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:35 pm

The fruits of the labor! Today's lunch was a casserole that included our own squash, peppers and garlic along with sides of kale and fresh picked beans, all from the garden. The beans were from yesterday's first picking of the fall Providers and there's one lonely sugar pea. It makes doing the garden all worthwhile. :D

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:35 pm

The dreaded torta.
20211010_191027.jpg
Worth

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:39 pm

I made sort of a sambar today, with 3 dal, some barley, and some of the last veggies from my garden. I haven't made anything like this for a while, due to the experiment in my Instant Pot. But I do have other pots.:lol:
I minced 6 cloves of garlic with 2 jalapeños in the FP, then coarsely chopped up 6 Numex chiles with one onion. All this was cooked slowly until soft, in just enough olive oil to coat them. Then the 3 tb sambar masala was cooked about a minute, then the water with a little turmeric, dal, barley, okra, bottle gourd, and a little turmeric. Salted to taste, rought it to a simmer and cooked about 35 minutes. Meanwhile, I made the tarka, and added this when it was ready. Served with some cilantro, and a toasted atta/jowar waffle.
ImageA sambar made with 3 dals, some okra, and a trimmed bottle gourd - about 2 c of cubes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe usual tarka added to this - mustard seed, cumin seed, Thai peppers, asafoetida, and curry leaves by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished dish, with somewhat cilantro, plus a toasted waffle, broken up with it. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:11 pm

AA4E4428-08CB-4AF8-B3BF-DBE9C547FE68.jpeg
Beef fajitas. Marinated Skirt Steak grilled over oak lump charcoal and mesquite wood chunks. Like a quality aged whiskey, a lot of the flavor for grilled meat like this comes from the specific wood involved and the timing and nature of the involvement. Seasoned Mesquite works well in short duration, higher heat situations, but not as a smoking, low heat, long term exposure to the meat type of wood. Almost all the people I know would never smoke a brisket over mesquite smoke, but might grill over high heat a tomahawk ribeye or a seasoned skirt steak over a few chunks of burning mesquite. In the right dose, mesquite gives a wonderful rich earthiness kind of flavor to meat, but can soon overpower otherwise desirable flavors in a “low and slow” type of cook. The idea always is to compliment the flavor of the protein, not obliterate it.

“Homemade” flour tortillas, bought while still hot and made in store at HEB and then reheated and toasted on a hot skillet. So much better than pre -packaged, name brand, thick, dry, cold and made days ago offerings. Fresh pico de gallo, fresh cilantro, fresh sour cream, onions, bell peppers.

Fajitas basically s*ck if the details aren’t right. But, they can also be divine.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:13 pm

La Boucherie Whole Chicken Stuffed with Crawfish Jambalaya. Which means I’m heating up something someone else prepared. Thought it was worth a shot. Serving with Cabbage steamed with bacon. Last night, I grilled Atlantic salmon with fresh basil, garlic and butter baste. Unbeatable flavors. This salmon has become a favorite in our house.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:30 pm

I love a grilled salmon. Quick and delicious and good for you, too! One of my faves. Has gone up quite a bit in price, though.

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:46 pm

I used to fish a lot more and would bring home some of my catch, but I can’t find the time lately for fishing. Grilled farm raised Atlantic salmon is a favorite. I buy a 2.5# skin on fillet and that will feed four. It’s been around $8.00 a pound, both at Aldi or HEB. Wild caught Pacific Salmon is quite a bit more pricey here.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:01 pm

I buy the farm raised skinless frozen Salmon at Costco because the skin is not at all appealing to me. Its about 30.00 for a 3lb bag of fillets, individually wrapped and they thaw in cold water in about 20 minutes. That makes them convenient for me to thaw one at a time in single serving size, or as many as I need. Nice if you fish for salmon. Certainly can't get fresher than that. Neighbor brought me some cleaned fish he had caught once. Not sure but it might have been trout or could have been bass. Tasted like the muddy bottom of the pond. Never had anyone bring me fresh caught Salmon. :)

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:29 pm

No salmon swimming here. Redfish, Speckled Trout, Flounder among others are what I fish for, all mostly local saltwater types. I’m not so big on eating most freshwater fish either. None of the fish here taste like Salmon, but what does really, Salmon is unique.

I think wild caught Atlantic Salmon is simply not available. Whatever abundant wild Atlantic Salmon that used to grace New England are all about extinct, sad since the Connecticut River among other rivers once had a strong Salmon fishery. The industrial revolution and the dams that came with it did Salmon in. Maybe Maine still has a few Atlantic Salmon in harvestable numbers. Now, People spend a fortune to go to Labrador or some other hard to get to place to catch wild Atlantic Salmon. I’m generally not into farm raised fish or seafood for a variety of reasons, but I make an exception for Salmon.

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:50 am

Alaskan red sockeye for me.
Won't eat anything else.
Pink salmon is for the sled dogs.
Worth

karstopography
Reactions:

Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:40 am

I probably should choose wild caught pacific Salmon like Sockeye. I read more about farm raised Atlantic Salmon just last night and it isn’t so pretty. Packed cages, bad diet, issues with antibiotics, dyes in the food. Just not a good scene. I avoid farm raised shrimp, tilapia and some others for the same reasons. I think I just need to go catch some fish and stop buying so much. Redfish are delicious, healthy, plentiful, sustainable, right down the road, and I have a few automatic spots that are guaranteed to yield a couple of slot fish. Just got to make the time.

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:14 pm

All this talk about seafood got my whiskers up for something special.
What you will see is.
Olive oil.
Green olives.
Onions.
Fresh garlic.
Whole peppercorns.
A pinch of oregano.
Clam juice.
And last but not least.
Dry Sherry.
Got the onions and such cooked they way I like them and put the bottle of clam juice and about a half cup of Sherry in.
Letting it reduce.
20211014_155427.jpg
20211014_155533.jpg
20211014_160727.jpg
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:08 pm

Yum.
This is what you can do with angel hair pasta.
No dairy in the recipe either.
20211014_170437.jpg
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:25 pm

I'm heating up the barbacoa to make a potato and onion stew like thing.
I try to get as many different things from the stuff I cook so I don't get tired of any one thing.
Thus the reason for lack of crazy spices.
The barbacoa has been in super cold storage under a layer of cold tallow.
It keeps very well like this.
Totally forgot carrots and okra at the store.
Not gonna go back.
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:06 pm

While doing this I prepared a lasagna concoction.
Tomato paste and fluid on the bottom
Layer of lasagna layer of chopped lamb.
Green olives tomat slices mozzarella cheese.
Layer of lasagna chopped beef cheek.
And so on.
20211016_140019.jpg
20211016_135509.jpg
20211016_134901.jpg
Worth

karstopography
Reactions:

Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:35 pm

Linguini with Clams is a favorite of mine. I like that clam juice flavor coming through on pasta, bet the shrimp were good with it too.

I made two tri tips last night on the BGE. My rub is salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, and ground cumin. I sear them first, then get them off the direct heat. The Reverse of a reverse sear. Two negatives make a positive! Whatever, got to have a sear without burning to a crisp and got to get the internal temperature right. I pulled them around 125ish. A good thermometer is vital. Tri tips keep cooking a bit after they come off the grill. Ended up with medium rare. That’s a consensus perfect. The thickest part might be edging rare, the ends more into medium land. Wife is a more medium type, daughter one a more rare bird. I’m in between. We don’t have any medium well or well done folks in this family.

Wife made Texas Party potatoes and fresh green beans. Son the policeman was there too. Tri tip was about all they had in California when he was stationed out in San Diego. Very popular, Santa Maria steak is another name for it. He and his Texas buddies called it California Brisket.

Tonight, hot dogs on the grill.

Return to “What's Cooking.”