Reactions:

Re: Travels around Victoria, Australia 2

Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:11 am

Some more plants
Grevillea alpina complex.JPG
Grevillea aquafolium.JPG
Grevillea rosemarinafolia complex.JPG
Isopogon or Petrophile sp.JPG
Four of our Protaceae members, the 3 grevilleas could have had there origins in the local areas, all species occur there.
Isopogons and Petrophile spp can be difficult to tell apart with a book to check against, leaning towards Petrophile for this one.
Liverwort.JPG
In the moister areas
Prostranthera magnifica.JPG
Another DDG, the largest flowered of it genus
Thyptomene saxicola.JPG
A very popular garden plant, native to the Grampians
Westringia fruticosa.JPG
Another very common garden plant, widespread naturally
Wooly Bush - Adenanthos sericus (1).JPG
Wooly Bush - Adenanthos sericus (2).JPG
Another Protaceae member, this one grown for its beautifully soft foliage, individual flowers are generally well hidden.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

karstopography
Reactions:

Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:21 am

Very nice photos and descriptions. The wildlife and birdlife is very interesting. The Cassowary, that’s a bird that I’d really like to see in the wild. In general, I like walking in wild places, but my impression of Australian from half the world away is that I’d surely fall victim to one of the deadly snakes, spiders, birds, or other perils the instant my foot left the well trodden path. I know Victoria is far away from the tropical north where I imagine most of the worst of the scary critters live, but I just don’t know. I can deal with our local venomous snakes, but my idea is that Australian venomous snakes are on a whole other level on sheer numbers and deadliness. Spiders, we have spiders, but doesn’t Australia have spiders like the funnel web spider that can kill you? Heck, I’d go swimming in the beautiful ocean there just to relax from the fears of land based bitey animals, but then I’d be thinking about the great white sharks, box jellyfish, deadly blue ring octopus, sea snakes, stingrays and cone snails. I’m sure everyone there knows where the creatures to avoid getting too near live and how to avoid them. My impression of Australia has likely been colored too much by the likes of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Dundee among others. But, your photos of the cassowary, Inland Taipan, common Death adder didn’t help.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:41 am

@karstopography, in reality most of our deadly animals occupy only small areas of the country. Yes we have a small number of deadly spiders, the Sydney funnel web that you mention occurs over an area that is smaller than greater Sydney and a solid pair of gloves will stop its fangs most times. As for snakes, they really are chickens and prefer to run away than approach people and as long as you make a bit of noise walking along through the bush and tread normally they will move away and you will not even realise that they are there. The Cussowary is a bird that once again occupies only a small area and is avoidable if one knows what one is doing. If in its area, talk to locals, they know where they are, avoid those areas, especially at breeding time and you are fine. Likewise in the sea, great whites are not very common close inshore, box jellies are easily avoidable and a dip in 85F+ water (which is what they like) is not really refreshing and one would be more concerned about the Salties.

Really I think that we have it easy, only the odd pest to worry about, yes some may be nasty, but you live with that, but nothing like the numbers of annoying garden pests that I constantly seem to be reading about over there, without having to worry about being blasted by a Skunk!

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:03 am

Local Animals
Albino 'roos plus mate.JPG
Even hopping creatures come in white, there were four if memory serves me correctly. Not sure if they were true albinos or not, could not get close enough to check eyes.

Brolga.JPG
Fairly shy birds, those in captivity are normally injured in some way and would struggle to survive in the wild.
Brushtailed Rock Wallaby.JPG
Brushtailed Rock Wallaby 2.JPG
Small agile creatures that would have lost a lot of home range in the fires 20 odd months ago
Southern Cussowarry.JPG
Always kept behind solid mesh fencing, just to be on the safe side.
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo.JPG
Sulphur Crested Cockatoos (2).JPG
Native to the open plain country, traditionally regarded as a seed eater, but will rip into nut grass and the like. Very destructive birds, especially in large flocks and will some one please pass the ear muffs, they are noisy!

Swamp Wallaby.JPG
Rather shy, prefers denser bush than kangaroos. If you see them in the wild, it is generally only glimpses of them. This one with a joey in her pouch.
Yellow Footed Rock Wallaby.JPG
Named after the colour of there feet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:10 am

Some more natives
Tasmanian Devil.JPG
Tammar Wallaby.JPG
These little cuties have had there range massively reduced by white man. They are tough little creatures able to survive by drinking sea water if necessary. The kids loved them.
Ebony Feeding Tammar Wallaby.JPG
Jaden Feeding Tammar Wallaby.JPG

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:17 am

Exotic Birds and Animals

Canada Goose.JPG
Canada Geese.JPG
Burmese Python.JPG
Elk.JPG
Meerkats.JPG
Muscovy Duck.JPG
Pgymy Marmoset.JPG
Red Jungle Fowl.JPG
Red Panda (2).JPG
Southern White Rhino.JPG
Texan Longhorns.JPG

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:32 am

From there it was off to Warrnambool down on the coast. This is the one end of "The Great Ocean Road" and includes a number of attractions, the main one being the maritime museum "Flagstaff Gardens" which showcases part of thr history of "The Shipwreck Coast" so named for the number of ships wrecked along it in our early days. Probably the most famous shipwreck is that of "The Loch Ard" which I will get to shortly. Another attraction is Lake Pertobe, an artificial lake surrounded by parkland just behind the main surf beach and primary sand dune which protects it from the Southern Ocean. On a nice sunny day, one can hire little boats and do a few laps for 15 or 20 minutes.
The Girls.JPG
Carolyn and Ebony in one of the little boats.

Plenty of birds about

Jaden was driving the boat we were in, took him a little while to get used to it, but it allowed me to use the camera.
Royal Spoonbill (1).JPG
Royal Spoonbill (2).JPG
A couple of these were in a tree on one of the small islands in the middle of the lake

these others were everywhere
Australasian Coot (1).JPG
Australasian Coot (2).JPG
Dusky Moorhen (1).JPG
Dusky Moorhen (2).JPG
Seagull (2).JPG

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:54 am

back to Flagstaff gardens

There are several period shops, lollies, blacksmith, sailmaker type setups and some small boats here, getting photos of a decent standard is difficult in most places indoors due to the lighting and lack of space, one simply could not get back far enough to frame some items. Big focus on the wreck of the Loch Ard, its story (only 2 people survived) and some of the cargo, the Peacock in particular is probably the most famous feature, stands about 4 feet tall without plinth. It is thought to be one of about 20 pieces onboard destined for the Melbourne Exhibition. Only it and a Heron survived the wreck. Detail is incredible.
IMG_8827.JPG
IMG_8837.JPG
IMG_8867.JPG
Ladies Bugle.JPG
Loch Ard Bell.JPG
Loch Ard Ceramics.JPG
Loch Ard Cove.JPG
Saw Fish Rostrums.JPG
These were hanging inside the sailmakers, would have been around 3.5 to 4 feet long, so the fish they came off would have been around 16 to 20 feet long.
IMG_8862.JPG
The other thing that is supposed to occur here that no-one has seen in the last 60 years is the Mahogany Ship, thought by some to be of Portuguese origins. No one is exactly sure of its location, with a number of searches failing to turn up any evidence as to its existance

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:59 am

The Heron
Loch Ard Heron (1).JPG
Loch Ard Heron (2).JPG
Loch Ard Heron (3).JPG
Loch Ard Heron (4).JPG

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:01 am

The Peacock
Loch Ard Peacock (1).JPG
Loch Ard Peacock (2).JPG
Loch Ard Peacock (3).JPG
Loch Ard Peacock (4).JPG
Loch Ard Peacock (5).JPG
Loch Ard Peacock (6).JPG

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:12 am

From there it was off to Port Campbell where we spent the night. Managed to get a few coastal shots on the way, including one of London Bridge, which used to have two arches before the inner one fell down in 1990. Apparently there were some people who had just come off the bridge, turned around when there was a bit of noise behind them to see space where they had been walking only a few seconds before. They also launch boats a bit differently at Port Campbell.
IMG_8886.JPG
IMG_8891.JPG
IMG_8903.JPG
Correa reflexa.JPG
Beard Heath.JPG
IMG_8930.JPG
London Bridge.JPG

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:17 am

Port Campbell Cove
From Motel Door.JPG
Port Campbell bay.JPG
from Jetty.JPG
IMG_8913.JPG
IMG_8905.JPG
IMG_8909.JPG
IMG_8911.JPG

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:29 am

From Port Campbell it was off along the Great Ocean Road, main focus here was to show the kids the Loch Ard Gorge plus the 12 Apostles, or whats left of them. A very calm day for that part of the coast, so hard for them to understand what the conditions would have been like on the ship. First lot is Loch Ard Gorge.
IMG_8941.JPG
IMG_8946.JPG
IMG_8950.JPG
IMG_8951.JPG
IMG_8955.JPG
IMG_8994.JPG
IMG_9009.JPG
IMG_9039.JPG

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:33 am

A few from the 12 Apostles area
IMG_9042.JPG
IMG_9044.JPG
IMG_9045.JPG
IMG_9051.JPG
IMG_9076.JPG
IMG_9078.JPG

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:49 am

From there we drove to Jan Juc to spend a night with some friends that we have not seen for 13 years, the kids had not met them before and headed off to the Werribee Open Range Zoo on Melbournes western outskirts. Most of what is here is fairly typical zoo fodder - Giraffe, Ostrich, Hippos, lions, Rhinos and several different antelopes. Travel was via a truck converted into a train with a number of these running, leaving every 15 minutes or so. Half of the Zoo is open range, the other half more confined, especially for the predators. Layout not good for photos in most areas, which was a pain. So a few natives
IMG_9095.JPG
Australian Raven with nesting material.JPG
Blue Wren Male.JPG
Cape Barren Geese.JPG
These chicks were only 4 days old
Cape Barren Geese 2.JPG
Bottle tree.JPG
Koala.JPG
A creature of Australian Urban mythology was supposed to be here, watch out all pretty young ladies...
IMG_9461.JPG
And one import
Painted or Wild Dog.JPG

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:18 pm

@Whwoz thank you for sharing all those wonderful photos. What a wonderful country with the fauna, wildlife and scenery .

However, I'm not buying the dangerous animal bit. I've seen photo's of kangaroos with boxing gloves on, and your not telling me it's to stop them biting their nails.

Also, I remember having a toy koala back in the day when h&s was not important (remember lead farmer and animals figurines) and his eyes were a choking hazard. I've heard they get high on eucalyptus leaves and are spaced out raving all night. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, absolutely loved these threads.
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:23 pm

@Whwoz loved the picture of the wild dog. One of my favourite from Africa partly because of its intelligence in hunting, wonder are they the same type of intelligent pack hunter ?
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

Whwoz
Reactions:

Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:56 am

Amateurinawe wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:23 pm @Whwoz loved the picture of the wild dog. One of my favourite from Africa partly because of its intelligence in hunting, wonder are they the same type of intelligent pack hunter ?
They are the African Wild Dog that you mention AA. Magnificent pack hunters, really work well together

Whwoz
Reactions:

Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:04 am

Amateurinawe wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:18 pm @Whwoz thank you for sharing all those wonderful photos. What a wonderful country with the fauna, wildlife and scenery .

You're welcome @Amateurinawe , to give you folks in the NH a look at the different animals and plants we have down under was why I started doing these.

However, I'm not buying the dangerous animal bit. I've seen photo's of kangaroos with boxing gloves on, and your not telling me it's to stop them biting their nails.

No, we put slippers on there feet to stop them sharpening their toe nails, which are the dangerous ones. :lol: :lol:

Also, I remember having a toy koala back in the day when h&s was not important (remember lead farmer and animals figurines) and his eyes were a choking hazard. I've heard they get high on eucalyptus leaves and are spaced out raving all night. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The ones which get really high are the Drop Bears, part of the reason they are regarded as dangerous as they don't feel anything when the land on you. They have a preference of tents of well endowed young international females for some reason :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, absolutely loved these threads.

Return to “The Gallery”