"Reading Between The Lines In Seed catalogs"

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
GoDawgs
Reactions:

"Reading Between The Lines In Seed catalogs"

Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:26 am

I came across the following article by Pam Dowling of Sustainable Market Farming. Although I don't sell produce I found this is a great site with a lot of useful information. Today's piece is about those phrases we always encounter in catalog descriptions. And so, since catalog season is coming upon us, here's the link for the article.

https://www.sustainablemarketfarming.co ... -catalogs/

Labradors
Reactions:

Re: "Reading Between The Lines In Seed catalogs"

Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:56 am

Good stuff!

I have learned that, if catalogue descriptions don't mention flavour, it doesn't taste good. Since I ONLY grow tomatoes with exceptional flavour, I am not interested in varieties with cute names, weird colours or interesting shapes.

"Kids love the taste" usually means "excessively sweet" with no complexity.

"Old fashioned flavour". I am coming to the conclusion that this really means "tart"......

Linda

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:14 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:26 am I came across the following article by Pam Dowling of Sustainable Market Farming. Although I don't sell produce I found this is a great site with a lot of useful information. Today's piece is about those phrases we always encounter in catalog descriptions. And so, since catalog season is coming upon us, here's the link for the article.

https://www.sustainablemarketfarming.co ... -catalogs/
24. Too good to be true? I don't know of a single gardener, anywhere, who has had success with Romanesco.

root_grow
Reactions:

Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:32 pm

I know some people who have had success with romanesco! And a farm where I used to work grew it for their CSA. It needs more consistent watering than other brassicas, perfectly rich soil and I think most important - temperatures to stay on the cooler end. Unless you like eating little aphid mountains. Our long springs and cold summer years work well for some things...

Return to “General Discussion”