2021/2022 spoiler alert

This is a yearly group seed swap event hosted by Tormato.

Moderator: Tormato

Acer Rubrum
Reactions:

Re: 2021 spoiler alert

Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:10 am

Wow, so many awesome varieties! I'm new to the swap this year (and new to Tomato Junction). I sent in a few packs of each of these:

Peachy Keen - A great tasting medium to small orange tomato on short plants. I grew some in pots last year and they got about 3 feet tall.

Sweet Splash Electra - A small yellow with lighter stripes. You can't really see the stripes well when they're ripe. Super good taste, definitely on the sweet side. Short plants with variegated foliage. It's so gorgeous that it could be a decorative plant.

Golden Buddha - A round, orange medium to large tomato. I like the flavor and it's meaty enough to make sauce. I love the sauce from these things. The inside is a salmon color, which is different from the other oranges I've grown. Regular size plant.

D B Cooper - A slightly flattened round dark tomato. Good flavor, juicy. Regular size plant.

Long Tall Sally - A yellow striped red heart. Good flavor, meaty. Regular size plant.

Silvan Gaume - A large red with a blunt heart shape. Very good tomato, early for it's size, good tomato flavor. Very productive. Regular size plant.

Vilma - A micro tomato that produces red cherries. Good flavor. My daughter says they're her favorite. They get around a foot tall in a gallon pot.

Inkspot - A micro that produces red with antho shoulders cherries. Super good, complex taste. It gets about 15 inches tall and is more inclined to try to stretch than the Vilma.

I might have sent some others, too. I didn't write them down and I should have.
Last edited by Acer Rubrum on Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greenthumbomaha
Reactions:

Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:19 pm

If you have not grown ASPARAGUS this is the year to begin!

I am sending in a boatload of 'likely' Mary Washington asparagus seed. This variety has been a prolific producer over a long period in my garden and has very good flavor. It is very easy to grow from seed. I had germination in every cell I started in prior years. The plants were originally purchased about 10 years ago from a local nursery in 1 gal containers and labeled Jersey Giant. It is a heavy producer of red seeds so I believe it is OP but really don't know for certain the name of what I am offering but definitely worth growing!

Hope I put in a good spin so Tormato will have lots of requests!

- Lisa

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:32 am

greenthumbomaha wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:19 pm If you have not grown ASPARAGUS this is the year to begin!

I am sending in a boatload of 'likely' Mary Washington asparagus seed. This variety has been a prolific producer over a long period in my garden and has very good flavor. It is very easy to grow from seed. I had germination in every cell I started in prior years. The plants were originally purchased about 10 years ago from a local nursery in 1 gal containers and labeled Jersey Giant. It is a heavy producer of red seeds so I believe it is OP but really don't know for certain the name of what I am offering but definitely worth growing!

Hope I put in a good spin so Tormato will have lots of requests!

- Lisa
From what I've read, Jersey Giant is an all-male hybrid. You obviously have some female plants. Do you have any idea of the ratio of male to female plants that you have?

I have 1,000+ saved seeds (F2s) this year of an unknown cross with UC72. The female plants are green, about 25% of all plants are purple. I also have a very small supply of F1 seeds of an unknown cross with UC72 (birds got most of them). The F1s may, or may not, be the same cross as the first one.

greenthumbomaha
Reactions:

Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:50 pm

Tormato,

100% of the seeds I planned to send are red and the asparagus was green. Any white which is a handful out of a large bowl I attribute to drying out but I could be wrong. Come to think of it, you sent me the UC seeds a few years ago. Where did I plant them , home or remote , I can't remember. I have purple at my remote garden presumably from a WalMart root, but the harvested seeds this year were all from my backyard. Maybe a cross going on (in a small raised bed garden area) or my plants here at home were purchased mislabeled. An abundance of of Asparagus is a very good thing, and the yield is quite good. When I had a growing partner many years ago his op asparagus became wimpy and he eventually gave up on the patch. Mine is kicking whatever it is!

- Lisa

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:30 pm

greenthumbomaha wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:50 pm Tormato,

100% of the seeds I planned to send are red and the asparagus was green. Any white which is a handful out of a large bowl I attribute to drying out but I could be wrong. Come to think of it, you sent me the UC seeds a few years ago. Where did I plant them , home or remote , I can't remember. I have purple at my remote garden presumably from a WalMart root, but the harvested seeds this year were all from my backyard. Maybe a cross going on (in a small raised bed garden area) or my plants here at home were purchased mislabeled. An abundance of of Asparagus is a very good thing, and the yield is quite good. When I had a growing partner many years ago his op asparagus became wimpy and he eventually gave up on the patch. Mine is kicking whatever it is!

- Lisa
Red? Asparagus seeds are black. The "berries" are red, usually containing about 5 seeds each. There has to be pollination going on between a male and a female plant, but what the two are is anyone's guess.

greenthumbomaha
Reactions:

Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:51 pm

Yes, red berries with 4-6 black seeds each. mea culpa -L.

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:27 pm

I'll be sending my seeds tomorrow (finally!!).

At least 10 packs (except the ones listed as bonus varieties):

MELON Kolkhoznitsa (Collective Farm Woman) early, white, compact vine

TOMATO
Early Wonder Pink, det pink early
Geranium Kiss, dwarf red cherry
Jantarnij Kubok, compact indet yellow/orange
Saraev Vesennie Zamorozki, det early red
Sleeping Lady, dwarf dark
(these all were fairly productive for me in a difficult year -- earlier, hotter, and longer heat waves stressed most of my indeterminates so much that they dropped all or most of their flowers but still got huge!)

bonus-- only a few packs of these
Nistru, pink det. paste
(not) Sirja's Love or Sirja's Love RED, hanging basket cherry
(the only hanging basket variety that did ok; good flavor; I think someone asked for this one even though the variety is supposed to produce yellow cherry tomatoes)

PEPPER (all nonbells)
Ashe County Pimento, sweet red (did much better than a hybrid with a similar shape, Hungarian Cheese Mix)
Dolce Mediterraneo, long orange, sweet
Ferenc Tender Paprika, sweet
Habanada, no heat
Karlo Paprika, spicy
Lesya, sweet
Poblano, spicy
Sweet Chocolate, sweet
Trinidad Perfume, yellow, mild

bonus, all sweet
Bakskai Fseher Paprika
Corbaci, thin long
Greg's Hungarian

greenthumbomaha
Reactions:

Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:04 am

Tormato, my package will be mailed mid week. I have flower seeds in transit mentioned in the updated wanted thread.

Multiples ready to send -

Zinnia Benray's Giant- Golden Yellow ( the earliest and most prolific in my garden)
Carmine Rose (also early and excellent production)
Mixed colors variety

Marigold (French) - Mix Durango Red & Safari Scarlet less than 1 foot tall - bedding or container size
(African) - pale yellow - 2-3 inch, pom pom flowers, 3-4 feet tall

Hosta (large plant with blue green leaves received in a garden share - leaves deeper blue in heavy shade)

Dianthus (limited) tall mixed blue/purple/white
Snapdragon (limited) Tetra mixed

- Lisa

Edit: Packets of asparagus mentioned above are ready to send too.
Last edited by greenthumbomaha on Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agee
Reactions:

Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:29 am

greenthumbomaha wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:04 am Tormato, my package will be mailed mid week. I have flower seeds in transit mentioned in the updated wanted thread.

Zinnia Benray's Giant- Golden Yellow ( the earliest and most prolific in my garden)
Mixed colors variety

Marigold (French) - Mix Durango Red & Safari Scarlet

Hosta (large plant with blue green leaves received in a garden share - leaves deeper blue in heavy shade)

- Lisa

Are you sending in Tithonia? The seeds you sent me earlier this year were great, better germination and plant vigor than what I planted in previous seasons.

20210908_085155.jpg
20210929_191141.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

greenthumbomaha
Reactions:

Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:41 pm

agee wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:29 am
greenthumbomaha wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:04 am Tormato, my package will be mailed mid week. I have flower seeds in transit mentioned in the updated wanted thread.

Mixed colors variety

Marigold (French) - Mix Durango Red & Safari Scarlet

- Lisa

Are you sending in Tithonia? The seeds you sent me earlier this year were great, better germination and plant vigor than what I planted in previous seasons.

20210908_085155.jpg20210929_191141.jpg
agee,

I certainly can send more of those seeds in. There was some question as to whether they would grow true to seed, and I would say they are same as mine were. The tithonia is a real showstopper with the lush green backdrop.etty

- Lisa

Remind me again of your growing zone. I'm in zone 5, but the weather pattern here swings wildly. I'm wondering if they would flower in an area with less heat in the summer. I have to balance my tomato plan to cover so many weather conditions , and I should diversify flowers too.

- Lisa

agee
Reactions:

Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:31 am

@greenthumbomaha
7B/8A - Georgia

Return to “MMMM Swap”