Where adventurous gardeners buy their seeds...

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Re: Where adventurous gardeners buy their seeds...

Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:56 pm

I bought the kaleidoscopic perennial kale grex to supplement my perennial kale (aka tree collards) forest.

AKgardener
Reactions:

Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:05 pm

After just posting about potatoes I ordered TPS seeds from Russia not knowing I could get a nice knock on the door So ya think I’ll leave them be:)

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:25 pm

at least you found out BEFORE you planted them and if you really want to try some Cultivariable does have some on their site for sale... I have been eyeing them off and on since this fall.
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

AKgardener
Reactions:

Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:49 pm

Ya probably would of been a big mistake who knew haha guess I just need to do more research instead of doing the typical ohh those are nice and eeek gotta have those haha

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:44 am

Acer Rubrum wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:06 am I got some Pueblo Highlands Landrace squash seeds from the Experimental Farm Network. I like the idea of forgotten varieties being brought back and the description says they taste great. Plus a squash that can handle a bit of frost would be a good thing here in South Dakota. I'm only planning to put in two plants this year, because that's the limit to my space in the one isolated area I can use for them. But if they do well and taste good, I'm definitely saving seeds.

I agree with Bower that there's value in getting a mix of types (or buying grex seed where the initial mixing is already done) and letting Mother Nature do the selecting. My oldest son is actually doing this with onions. He does a ton of work in my mom's garden and they grew a lot of onions last year. She eats the onions that are starting to have problems and saves the ones that are keeping well. In the spring my son plans to plant out the onions that have lasted well to get seed from them. They consist of several varieties and will obviously cross, but we should get some good keepers out of it. Then he'll mix in the varieties from this year's crop for seed next year. After that, he plans to go with all his own seed. Should be an interesting project and it keeps my mom in onions.
You likely know that with onions, even of the same variety, the ones with the smallest tightest necks will generally last the longest.

bower
Reactions:

Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:33 am

Tormato wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:44 am
Acer Rubrum wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:06 am I got some Pueblo Highlands Landrace squash seeds from the Experimental Farm Network. I like the idea of forgotten varieties being brought back and the description says they taste great. Plus a squash that can handle a bit of frost would be a good thing here in South Dakota. I'm only planning to put in two plants this year, because that's the limit to my space in the one isolated area I can use for them. But if they do well and taste good, I'm definitely saving seeds.

I agree with Bower that there's value in getting a mix of types (or buying grex seed where the initial mixing is already done) and letting Mother Nature do the selecting. My oldest son is actually doing this with onions. He does a ton of work in my mom's garden and they grew a lot of onions last year. She eats the onions that are starting to have problems and saves the ones that are keeping well. In the spring my son plans to plant out the onions that have lasted well to get seed from them. They consist of several varieties and will obviously cross, but we should get some good keepers out of it. Then he'll mix in the varieties from this year's crop for seed next year. After that, he plans to go with all his own seed. Should be an interesting project and it keeps my mom in onions.
You likely know that with onions, even of the same variety, the ones with the smallest tightest necks will generally last the longest.
Ironically I was just looking at some onion seeds, variety described as having "small tight necks". So it should be under genetic control to some extent, even though there's variation due to environment. Definitely a keeper trait.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:02 pm

If I had the land, I'd grow lots of potato onions, as they are really long keepers. That, and ramps.

zeedman
Reactions:

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:35 pm

slugworth wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:59 pm I got suyo long cucumber seeds from baker creek that turned out to be squash seeds.
not the same flavor profile.
So, I guess that would count as an adventure? :roll:
"But though an old man, I am but a young gardener.“ - Thomas Jefferson

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:50 pm

slugworth wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:59 pm I got suyo long cucumber seeds from baker creek that turned out to be squash seeds.
Not the same looking seeds, either.

bower
Reactions:

Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:18 am

Tormato wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:02 pm If I had the land, I'd grow lots of potato onions, as they are really long keepers. That, and ramps.
Actually I'm scouting for an F1 onion to use as a test with those non-bulbing shallots I posted about. The F1 should be male sterile, and that means if I can get them flowering (next year) at the same time, they'll only make seed from the multiplier pollen.
I believe they are A cepa var aggregatum and perfectly crossable with an ordinary onion. If not I won't get any seeds from the onion.
If i do get seeds, it'd be a fun project to select for something that makes a clump of bulbs.
So I want to make a good choice in the F1. Has to be something early and with a lot of intention to bulb. Bulb certainty. :roll:
Always adventurous....
temperate marine climate

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:37 am

Speaking of alliums, I didn't have the heart to tell you until now, but those diverse shallots you sent a couple of years ago, zero germination. I think they got X-rayed. :cry:

slugworth
Reactions:

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:22 am

Tormato wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:50 pm
Not the same looking seeds, either.
and the sad part is;I was bragging about the cuke and gave the seeds to others to try.
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

slugworth
Reactions:

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:24 am

With saved seeds the cukes keep getting smaller and smaller every year.
Not like the original prickly 24 inches you have to handle with gloves.
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

bower
Reactions:

Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:18 pm

Tormato wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:37 am Speaking of alliums, I didn't have the heart to tell you until now, but those diverse shallots you sent a couple of years ago, zero germination. I think they got X-rayed. :cry:
Wow, that is wierd. I sent them quite a few places, no one else had germination trouble that I know of.
I ended up transplanting them all over the garden to bloom as perennials. They produce a ton of seed, so if you want some next year say the word.
temperate marine climate

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:44 pm

word

YSEF
Reactions:

Sun May 22, 2022 9:29 am

Tormato wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:02 pm If I had the land, I'd grow lots of potato onions, as they are really long keepers. That, and ramps.
In my neck of the woods everyone (fine dining restaurants with a local food emphasis, that is) wants ramps and there are nowhere near enough to satisfy the short seasonal demand.

Return to “General Discussion”