Papolos

greenthumbomaha
Reactions:

Re: Papolos

Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:06 pm

Any updates on growing or using CULANTRO ? I randomly saw someone growing on youtube , of 850 seeds they had 6 germinate. Another person had a bed full. I don't care for the taste of cIlantro, just intrigued by the challenge others had growing cUlantro .

- Lisa

AZGardener
Reactions:

Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:53 am

ddsack wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:55 pm Well, I absolutely LOVE cilantro. Papalo is no cilantro. I can see where some might say there is a very slightly similar taste, I did make myself taste it -- but it has an icky (I don't know how else to describe it) smell to me when I move the pots around and brush against it. It lingers and almost makes me sick to my stomach. Maybe if it was cooked it might lose whatever smell component is offensive to me, but I'm not going to try it, and sure won't spoil my fresh salsa with it!
I know there are people who can't stand cilantro, and I've never been able to understand that, but now that I've tried papalo, I do! I have three lovely potted plants that I need to get rid of.
I had a similar experience with both Papalo and Pipicha. The smell was so strong it almost made me sick so I pulled them up.
USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 13
Average Rainfall 9.5 inches
Climate: Sonoran Desert

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:14 am

I don't know about culantro but do know that I never, ever, ever want to grow or be near papalo again! It smelled so bad and, like others said, it made me feel very ill just from smelling it. . . just being in the garden near it and smelling it. I had grown 2 plants and ended up pulling them because they turned my stomach so much. Just thinking about them makes me want to gag. Ugh!

Before I pulled mine (in August, I believe) they were 4-ft tall and almost 2-ft wide with fairly large leaves.
P1070481-Papalo.JPG
P1070482-Papalo.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

Gardadore
Reactions:

Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:04 pm

Updating my experience with Vietnamese Coriander which many of you may find preferable to Papalo. I have been very successful with just cutting stems and rooting it in plain water. The Fall of 2020 I also dug up some, planted it in good potting mix and managed to overwinter it till late spring when I replanted it in my garden. It lasted in the house with some losses but soon took off again in the garden. During the summer I cut stems and they rooted fast in the water. I planted some of those cuttings in potting mix and they are being taken care of by a friend while we travel. So it is easy to keep going from year to year if you live where you have freezing winters.

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:15 pm

Thanks for the information, Gardadore.

After being disappointed with papalo in 2020, last year I grew 3 varieties of cilantro to compare them (plus an unknown cilantro from seeds that I previously collected from a pot of plants that I bought a few years ago). I grew small patches if each, with a few repeat sowings each, in the shade of taller plants in my zone 6a (center of Pennsylvania) garden. I left some plants to bolt to compare the timing. They all bolted at the same time and looked exactly the same. The other plants I harvested, rinsed in water, spun dry in a salad spinner, chopped, and froze loose (not packed) in jars. At the end of the summer when I had a bunch to harvest at once, I did the same but put them in a zip top bag before freezing. I've decided to do this from now on. Frozen cilantro is better than no cilantro. I used some last week to make black bean salsa and it was delicious.

Also, the varieties I compared were Large Leaf, Leisure and Slo-Bolt. As I said, they all bolted at the same time. Leisure has a somewhat sweet taste which I didn't like as much as the more traditionally-flavored Large Leaf & Slo-Bolt. I purposely let some Large Leaf go to seed and collected them to plant next year.
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

ddsack
Reactions:

Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:15 pm

@WoodSprite Thanks for your cilantro variety comparisons. I've often wondered if there is any real difference between the various offerings in catalogs. That they all bolted for you at the same time kind of confirms what I suspected. I used to have self-seeded cilantro volunteers all over my garden, but I think I harvested them all one year to freeze, so that ended that.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:50 pm

I have had the same results with cilantro bolting every time outside, in about the same time, with little production. There was a feathery leaf variety I tried years ago, that took a little longer, but still nothing great. The only thing that worked for me was indoors, under 16 hours of light. But it still bolted eventually.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Gardadore
Reactions:

Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:54 pm

I enjoy the reseeded cilantro as long as I can in the spring and early summer then use the Vietnamese Coriander for the rest of the summer. The cilantro goes to seed and if I am lucky I get some in the fall which lasts until frost. I always scatter the seeds in new venues as well to keep it going year after year. Fresh cilantro is always best even if it is for a short time!

Return to “Herbs”