Older bean seeds

BettyC-5
Reactions:

Older bean seeds

Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:50 pm

Help me pick 16 of these beans to grow. They are all 2015 or older. I would like to grow ones that someone might want in the swap or to trade or ???

Aunt Ada's Italian
Blue Coco
Brita's Foot Long
Brockton Horticulture
Brown Tohono O'odham
Cherokee Trail of Tears
Doyce Chambers
Emerite
Fenomen
Garrafel Oro--'13
Golden Lima
Greasy Cut-Short--'14
Greasy Back
Headrick Greasy Cut-Short
Herrenbohnli--'14
Hidatsa Shield
Hill Family Pole
Jennings--'12
Juanita Smith
Kahnawake Mohawk
Kwintus
Logan Giant
Maria Zellar
Menotume
Montezuma Red
Mountainer Half Runner--'14
NC Market Greasy Cut-short
NJ Half Runner --'14
Pebble--'14
Red Eye Fall
Red Stick--'14
Roger Newsome
Russian-East German--'14
Seay Cut-Short
Snowball Greasy
Square House
State Half Runner--'14 one seed
Striped Half Runner
Sultan's Golden Crescent--'14
Swahili Grew
Tarahumara Dark
Tarahumara Purple
Ojo de Cabra--'14
Tennessee Greasy--'14
Tobacco Worm
Tommy Boyd Greasy--'14
Trionfo Violetto -- '12 & '15
White Simpson Greasy
Yeome Pastel Eye
:)

Tormato
Reactions:

Re: Older bean seeds

Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:48 am

Betty,

I'll have to go through the "collection", and see if I have any of those varieties that are now of newer stock. From that list, the one that really stands out to me is Garrafal Oro. It's somewhere about my 3rd or 4th favorite snap bean. 2013 seed is not a guarantee for germination, by any means. After two lousy years in a row, here, I'm down to my last few seeds. And, Flamingo is the one bean that I want to increase the most, this year.

Your #1 wish list bean fell through, as for me getting seed. But...I've been ordering beans since the swap ended. There's about 40 new ones, that I can PM a list to you. Only a handful are dry beans, mostly bush types. One really PRETTY looking one. I have new stock of Tennessee Greasy (a "true" mix), because my beans of TG may be stabilizing into distinct lines, and have not been producing all of the variations. And, after your write-up on Wyatt, that has had the most demand. I have just enough seed left to plant myself.

For the next MMMM, I think that I'm going to make a request for some participants to "adopt a variety", whether it be a bean, a cucumber, a pea, a green, a melon, a squash, an herb, a flower (especially zinnias, for those reading ;) ), etc...in order to have newer seed to share, beyond the tomatoes and peppers.

BettyC-5
Reactions:

Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:45 pm

I actually grew Garrafal Oro last year, probably ate some, don't remember the taste. Probably have some newer seed in my dry mix. Will search tomorrow.
Do you need Flamingo seed? I grew several vines on my porch 2 years ago, so they didn't get crossed with anything.
And the Wyatt bean was good frozen, since I don't care for frozen beans, especially those from the store. I want to do a lot more of them this year.
Another pole bean I have mentioned liking really well is La Vigneronne, tender and stringless.

I like your idea about "adopting" to get newer seed.

I have searched for my wish list bean too and haven't found it, must be some out there somewhere.
So if anyone has Bird Egg #3 please let me know. :) Will also ask in the wanted thread

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:33 am

BettyC-5 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:45 pm I actually grew Garrafal Oro last year, probably ate some, don't remember the taste. Probably have some newer seed in my dry mix. Will search tomorrow.
Do you need Flamingo seed? I grew several vines on my porch 2 years ago, so they didn't get crossed with anything.
And the Wyatt bean was good frozen, since I don't care for frozen beans, especially those from the store. I want to do a lot more of them this year.
Another pole bean I have mentioned liking really well is La Vigneronne, tender and stringless.

I like your idea about "adopting" to get newer seed.

I have searched for my wish list bean too and haven't found it, must be some out there somewhere.
So if anyone has Bird Egg #3 please let me know. :) Will also ask in the wanted thread
The word I use for Flamingo is that I'm "desperate" for (good plump) seed. I'm down to my last small shriveled seeds.

La Vignerrone is an excellent very early pole bean. I don't even have to look through the collection. I know that I have 1 bean left.

I will be editing the bean list, along with all other lists in the MMMM threads, when I complete my seed inventory. Then, I'll post in this thread about some of those 16 varieties that you're looking for input on what to grow.

When it stops raining, I have to go searching my local woods, just down the street, for bean poles. My current ones are at the point of possibly breaking this year and likely breaking next year.

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Fri May 13, 2022 11:45 pm

Tormato wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:48 am For the next MMMM, I think that I'm going to make a request for some participants to "adopt a variety", whether it be a bean, a cucumber, a pea, a green, a melon, a squash, an herb, a flower (especially zinnias, for those reading ;) ), etc...in order to have newer seed to share, beyond the tomatoes and peppers.
Wry grin I was just looking at some of the pea seeds I have from the swap and thinking they needed to be grown out.... I am specifically looking at Salmon Flowered Crown 2018, Dark Seeded Perfection 2016, and Thomas Laxton 2017.
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat May 14, 2022 6:38 am

wykvlvr wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:45 pm
Tormato wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:48 am For the next MMMM, I think that I'm going to make a request for some participants to "adopt a variety", whether it be a bean, a cucumber, a pea, a green, a melon, a squash, an herb, a flower (especially zinnias, for those reading ;) ), etc...in order to have newer seed to share, beyond the tomatoes and peppers.
Wry grin I was just looking at some of the pea seeds I have from the swap and thinking they needed to be grown out.... I am specifically looking at Salmon Flowered Crown 2018, Dark Seeded Perfection 2016, and Thomas Laxton 2017.
It's perfect timing for your post. I've been trying to figure out the more commonly used name for the "Crown Salmon" pea that I'm about to transplant.
The weather was so poor earlier this year, that my peas have had a late start. I've had excellent germination on varieties from 2017 onward, about 50% germination on 2016 seed, and poor germination on 2015 seed.

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Sat May 14, 2022 10:20 am

Glad I could help. I am really hoping the Salmon Flowered Crown pea will grow for me as I have a spot picked out in the front yard for them as a "pretty" plant. The others will go in the back garden. So will the Nez Perce beans I found online after you mentioning Yellow Indian Woman. Grin Tristan will grow the Yellow Indian Woman so hopefully we can send in seeds from both to you. NOT promising anything but I will sort through the other beans I have from the swap and pick out the oldest to try and grow.
Wyoming
Zone 5

BettyC-5
Reactions:

Sun May 15, 2022 12:46 am

I have decided to grow the 2014 and older seeds of the pole beans, if they germinate.
Bush beans will be Ukrainian Comrades, Coco Rubico, Early Bush Italian, Tender Pod, and Italian Rose. I have a lot of different bean seeds if anyone wants something grown for the next MMMM swap.
I am grownig several squashes also and can save seeds if I get the flowers bagged. And dill, maybe fennel.
@Tormato You should be getting a package monday with a few Flamingo seeds, I didn't have many.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun May 15, 2022 5:42 pm

I received the package. WOW, black jelly bean soap! It sure smells edible.

I'm cutting way back on tomatoes this year, perhaps about 80 varieties instead of the normal 160. I'm making room for all of the things that I haven't grown for several years. Harvesting the bean poles for the teepees has gone much better than I thought. I'm up to 100, which makes 25 teepees, which comes out to about 600 plants. One of these days, perhaps I'll map out the garden space to see if I have room to plant it all. I sowed 100 containers indoors, yesterday, mostly older seeds from about 2015-2016. Wthin about a week, I should get an idea about viable seed.

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Thu May 19, 2022 5:39 pm

Information on my attempts to pre germinate my older pea seeds.. I soaked all the peas over night then moved to damp paper towels inside zip bags and waited to see if any would germinate. Today I put the germinated seeds into dirt in my 12 ounce cups to let them grow more before putting them out. The numbers are not what I expected them to be...

Dark Seeded Perfection (2016) 7 of 11 seeds germinated
Thomas Laxton (2017) All 11 seeds germinated
Salmon Flowered Crown (2018) 4 of 20 seeds germinated
Wyoming
Zone 5

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu May 19, 2022 6:05 pm

At least you have some of all up @wykvlvr , looking forward to updates.

BettyC-5
Reactions:

Sun May 22, 2022 1:28 am

Tormato do you put 6 seeds to each pole? When I do more than 3 I end up with a jungle of vines. I was going to do 6 teepees for pole beans but have added a few more varieties so will try to stick to 7. Gathered new poles last year.
I also have a package of Salmon Flowered Crown peas dated 2014, I guess I should plant them while they may still grow. Also have a package of Dark Seeded Early Perfection, some of the seeds are light green and some are almond color. Are they suppose to be dark or this light color?
Planning on planting about 45 tomatoes, along with peppers, cucumbers, squash, carrots, beets, onions, various other things and some of the older bush beans.
I had the garden tilled (with all the weeds and grass) about a week ago. Needs to be done again at the end of the month, then should be warm enough to plant.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sun May 22, 2022 6:53 am

Those salmon flowered crown peas sound very interesting. Wondering if any crown peas have made it down under. Have to contact a couple of people who may know.

BettyC-5
Reactions:

Sun May 22, 2022 10:11 am

In 2017 I planted a couple Desiree Dwarf Blauwschokkers peas, short bushy plant with pretty dark pink flowers and purple pods. Use them when small and flat or dry for soup. Evidently not for shelling. I don't remember if I tasted them, but I saved just a few seeds.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun May 22, 2022 11:20 am

BettyC-5 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:28 am Tormato do you put 6 seeds to each pole? When I do more than 3 I end up with a jungle of vines. I was going to do 6 teepees for pole beans but have added a few more varieties so will try to stick to 7. Gathered new poles last year.
I also have a package of Salmon Flowered Crown peas dated 2014, I guess I should plant them while they may still grow. Also have a package of Dark Seeded Early Perfection, some of the seeds are light green and some are almond color. Are they suppose to be dark or this light color?
Planning on planting about 45 tomatoes, along with peppers, cucumbers, squash, carrots, beets, onions, various other things and some of the older bush beans.
I had the garden tilled (with all the weeds and grass) about a week ago. Needs to be done again at the end of the month, then should be warm enough to plant.
If I have a variety where there are less than 6 seeds, it's generally a single pole in isolation and planting all of the seeds.

With plenty of seeds, it's (often double or triple sown, clipping out all but the most vigorous seedling) 6 seeds to a pole, spaced 6" apart, 4 pole teepees, each pole about 3 feet from each other, the next teepee in the row about 18" from the previous one. I use poles that are 11+ feet long, so the only jungle I get is when the vines twine together past the top of the poles. The pods that far up are almost always left to dry.

I've tried 4, 5, and 6 to a pole, 6 getting the most overall production per pole/teepee. You've reminded to try just a few poles with 7, this year.

Spike
Reactions:

Sun May 22, 2022 4:59 pm

Tormato wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:48 am (especially zinnias, for those reading ;)

So about Zinnias! I grow a butt ton of Zinnias every year. I empty the seeds into a bag, mix them up and plant rows of them around my garden. If anyone would be interested in a Zinnia mixture, I can save seeds? This was from last year. Have different seeds this year! (and ignore my weeds gosh!)
thumbnail_Resized_20210801_115912.jpg
thumbnail_Resized_20210801_115111.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There is freedom waiting for you, On the breezes of the sky, And you ask 'What if I fall?' Oh but my darling, What if you fly?

MissS
Reactions:

Mon May 23, 2022 7:49 am

@Spike save some of those seeds for the swap please.
~ Patti ~

Spike
Reactions:

Mon May 23, 2022 10:50 am

MissS wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:49 am @Spike save some of those seeds for the swap please.
I can do that but it will be a mixture of 15 different Zinnias!!
There is freedom waiting for you, On the breezes of the sky, And you ask 'What if I fall?' Oh but my darling, What if you fly?

Return to “Pole Beans”