What do You Grow Tomatoes For?

Everything About Tomatoes
bower
Reactions:

Re: What do You Grow Tomatoes For?

Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:47 pm

Tomatoes turned out to be something I can grow a year's supply for my household and mom's, that is just not the same at all as anything we could buy here, and I do that especially since my 87yr old Mom really enjoys them.
I was surprised too @karstopography that the range of flavors in tomatoes is way more than I ever imagined. My taste has changed over time as well, and gravitated strongly towards sweeter tomatoes and the fruity yellows, but still really enjoy a good classic tangy umami red as turns up occasionally.

It is a challenge to grow them here, so the breeding projects were a natural outcome, to make this grow as low maintenance as possible, get the taste into some early plants that are well adapted to the colder climate.

And another reason is that tomato plants make great pets. They're very responsive if you talk to them, do tricks and cute things for me to admire, and then the sweet fruit! :) What's not to love. You could say I grow them for the company. :lol:
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

bower
Reactions:

Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:58 pm

BTW, gala apples grown in Canada are delicious. Certainly not as you described. Fujis are dubious, seemed almost flavorless I did not repeat. I've had the Tango and didn't like it for fresh eating as much as the Gala we get. Honeycrisp is regularly available but not as good.
My favorite ever apples that I've tasted are Cox's Orange Pippin and Golden Russett. Been a while since I've seen either here though. We sometimes get small russets from Nova Scotia which are very nice indeed.
I agree that MacIntosh is just atrocious. Nasty skin, overly sour, texture can be mushy.
Still I like apples enough, I would be willing to taste even a few shockingly bad ones, just for fun. ;)
temperate marine climate

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:03 pm

The story goes that White Queen is the one and only large white variety with any flavor. Since it never makes it near the top of any favorites list, I won't trial it. The only whites (very pale yellow) that I've tried are a few good cherries.

I'm a bit surprised that you like the bi-colors, as yes they have that wonderful fruity taste not found in most tomatoes, but they generally are extremely sweet. Also, they're basically the most finicky. When the weather conditions are bad, bi-colors are the worst, being flavorless, watery, bags of mush.

Magic_Mike
Reactions:

Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:41 pm

I grow for: Fresh consumption, charity, family, freezing, canning, bragging rights, limited sales, seeds and as a hobby. I am trialing White Queen this year for the 1st time after trialing many hundreds of varieties. Also, try the Prairie Star bi-color. Never had one that was a watery bag of mush under any WX condition.
Many people have eaten food from my kitchen and have gone on to lead normal, healthy lives.

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:43 pm

Tormato wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:03 pm The story goes that White Queen is the one and only large white variety with any flavor. Since it never makes it near the top of any favorites list, I won't trial it. The only whites (very pale yellow) that I've tried are a few good cherries.

I'm a bit surprised that you like the bi-colors, as yes they have that wonderful fruity taste not found in most tomatoes, but they generally are extremely sweet. Also, they're basically the most finicky. When the weather conditions are bad, bi-colors are the worst, being flavorless, watery, bags of mush.
Probably haven’t grown the bicolors long enough to have had the bad year, mushy ones. Every one has had sweet and tropical fruit notes, but enough acidity or other tomato flavor that states clearly “ I’m still a tomato” and not a pineapple or some other fruit.

My garden sits on a little rise or crest and then with the 12” plus loamy raised beds, it is hard for the tomatoes to become water logged. The raised beds are placed directly on the topsoil and from what I recently read on tomatoes and their rooting structures and proclivities, the roots will certainly have the ability to tap into that layer if they wish.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:52 pm

Well I'm not for several reasons.
Seems like a lifetime ago but I got involved in tomatoes by way of searching out information on chilie peppers.
I found a link for garden web on some pepper site and the rest is history..
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:04 pm

I love the stories behind heirlooms and growing them gives me the satisfaction of experiencing a small part of that history.

I am also on a mission to re-create my childhood memories. I grew up near Leamington, Ontario - the "tomato capital of Canada" - and have fond memories of the incredibly sweet locally grown field tomatoes (the corn was really good too!). Still chasing that dragon! Although, I have come pretty close with a few varieties.

It also helps that tomatoes aren't as challenging to grow as some other crops.

Tobacco is my next obsession! Very interesting history and there is a lot to learn about how to process it.

slugworth
Reactions:

Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:44 pm

tobacco grows like weeds around here and is one of the things that will have volunteers the next year.
Never figured out the processing part.
The blossoms only have a fragrance at night.
I have grown tobacco right next to tomato plants without an ill effects from either
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

bower
Reactions:

Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:27 pm

There are tobacco volunteers in the farm greenhouse just about every year and they have no adverse effect on tomatoes.
temperate marine climate

slugworth
Reactions:

Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:34 pm

some people say wash your hands after handling tobacco before handling tomatoes.
My mother used to be allergic to both plants,she couldn't work at the tobacco farms as a teenager.
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:38 pm

Yes, you can get green tobacco sickness from handling tobacco plants too much. I have no intention to slow dance with my tobacco plants every day. So, I should be fine.

PlainJane
Reactions:

Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:12 am

Why?
Flavor can’t compare to store bought (same goes for beans, peas, cauliflower, etc. etc.)
Am fascinated by the breeding efforts of people like Karen Oliver, Fred Hempel, Brad Gates.
Love to share with the unsuspecting and watch their heads explode when they taste them. (Green Bee is a favorite for this exercise)
Keeps me out of trouble to some extent.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:20 am

Bower wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:58 pm BTW, gala apples grown in Canada are delicious. Certainly not as you described. Fujis are dubious, seemed almost flavorless I did not repeat. I've had the Tango and didn't like it for fresh eating as much as the Gala we get. Honeycrisp is regularly available but not as good.
My favorite ever apples that I've tasted are Cox's Orange Pippin and Golden Russett. Been a while since I've seen either here though. We sometimes get small russets from Nova Scotia which are very nice indeed.
I agree that MacIntosh is just atrocious. Nasty skin, overly sour, texture can be mushy.
Still I like apples enough, I would be willing to taste even a few shockingly bad ones, just for fun. ;)
I agree about Cox's Orange Pippin and Golden Russet, two apples close to the top of my list of favorites. My go-to web site for apples is orangepippen.com. I've likely tried 100+ heirloom apple varieties, and like heirloom tomatoes, the various flavors are amazing. If you ever run across Pitmaston Pineapple (Pitmaston Pine Apple), do not let it get away. Nearly all of the full russet apples I compare to the class of pink beefsteak tomatoes. Golden Russet is right there near or at the top. Like you, Fuji has me stumped as I've always found it nearly flavorless, too. One theory about foods is that many weak flavored items are some of the most popular. All because there is nothing in them to be objectionable about. It's strong flavors in foods the brings out the likes and the dislikes.

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:41 am

karstopography wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:15 pm
Tormato wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:11 am
karstopography wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:40 am @Tormato the more I think about it, the more it may be that my sample size is just too small. Some of y’all have either tasted or grown and tasted a lot more varieties than myself and have likely or possibly honed in on some outstanding examples that rise above the rest. I’m still working through a variety of tomatoes to see what I like more than others.
The biggest question is, do you know what you like in a tomato, of the ones you've tried?

Sweetness? Tartness? In-between?

"Traditional" tomatoey flavor? (usually found in red globes) Citrusy flavor? (many of the yellow/gold/orange ones) Fruity flavor? (SunGold and others)

And, as I've often mentioned, I consider Stump Of The World (in good growing conditions), as the benchmark, a starting point to find out what one likes in a tomato.

Whether someone is an average taster, a super taster, or a below average taster could be a huge factor, but people have to come to that conclusion by themselves. Most already know my conclusions on many, but not all, dark tomatoes.
I don’t have a particularily long history of growing my own and haven’t had any other heirloom types except maybe here and there at a farmer’s market and once in a while at some locavore kind of restaurant. I’ll stick with ones I’ve grown. So I’ve grown Celebrity, Creole, Carmello, Big Beef, Super Fantastic, Blue Ribbon, Top Gun and several other hybrid reds. They all are good, really good, but I can’t think of one that stands out as far and above the others. I wasn’t crazy about Dixie Red, Creole, Moneymaker, tasteless, bland, no big tomato flavors at all, I’ve had Early girl out of a friend’s garden and didn’t particularily like it. I can’t think of a smallish/saladette type of tomato I’ve ever had and really liked. San Marzano was pretty bad, dry, no juice, but it isn’t made for fresh eating.

So, are any of those pink, I don’t think any are and it may be possible that Mortgage Lifter (no idea as to strain)is the only Pink I’ve grown in past seasons. It was different than the reds, I found it to be more bland, but my wife that has the most developed sense of smell of anyone I have ever met loved Mortgage Lifter.

I am growing several pinks this season. Gregori’s Altai, 1884, Hoy, ML (again), Pink Fang, German Johnson, maybe another one I can’t think of at the moment.

Bicolor tomatoes were a revelation to me as I didn’t realize tomatoes could taste like that, and that was fruity and sweet on my tongue, but more than simple sugar and water, other more robust tomato flavors in them also. Pineapple, Hillbilly, Old German, all were really tasty.

Lemon Boy and Golden Jubilee were great tasting tomatoes.

Cherokee Purple and Cherokee Carbon are wonderful. Earthy, tart, robust, just good.

I can see I’m deficient in Pink tomatoes and knowing what they offer. Plan is to see what I think of the ones I’m growing, evaluate the flavors and go from there. I plan on trying SOTW and couple more PL pinks in future seasons.

I’m growing a couple of white tomatoes this season, plan is to grow at least one GWR tomato next year.

Apples, yes, Macintosh is awful fresh, texture mainly, good maybe in a dessert. Fuji is awful also. I don’t like Gala either, both those are sugar water and bland. No thank you on Red Delicious, either.

Pink Lady, HoneyCrisp, Empire, Evercrisp, Jazz, Winesap, I like those and a few others. I like a firm apple and usually some tartness with the sweet like Honey Crisp has, but Evercrisp is a honey crisp minus most the tart. Granny Smith is good for cooking, but too tart for eating fresh.

In general, anything sweet needs something sour or tart or bitter to balance it out. Do not like sweet things without anything to offset it.
You're not deficient in pink tomatoes, if many of that type do not do well in your growing conditions.

In my conditions, I have a huge problem with most reds, from saladettes, to globes, to beefsteaks. The cherries are OK and the hearts are divine.

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:19 am

@Tormato I haven’t given pinks a chance.One meh pink, ML, is not giving pinks a fair shot. I’m giving a few more pink tomatoes their shot this season. Early indications look promising. Gregori’s Altai is a current rising by virtue of fruit setting star. 1884 is picking up steam. Maybe the fruit once ripe won’t taste good, but that remains to be seen. I’m willing to try different things and other varieties. Worse case, pinks will all be spitters and I’ll just continue to grow what I think are delicious reds, purples, and bicolors.

We might all be chasing flavor, but lucky for me, I like a number of flavors and combinations of them and no one has ever accused me of being a picky eater. That doesn’t mean I don’t have taste because there are certainly foods and so called edibles that are awful such as oatmeal, please, why is that disgusting glop considered food?

My tastes have a wide bandwidth, but there is definitely a signal and not just noise.

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:21 am

Toomanymatoes wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:38 pm Yes, you can get green tobacco sickness from handling tobacco plants too much. I have no intention to slow dance with my tobacco plants every day. So, I should be fine.
That sounds like something rare. I worked the shade-tobacco fields for three years in my teens. 6 days a week, in all kind of miserable weather. Only if severe thunderstorms were nearly 100% likely would the day be canceled. At the end of the day, you went home with body and clothing covered in the stinking sap of the tobacco plants. The only times that I heard of anyone getting sick was by accidentally ingesting a bit of that sap.

bower
Reactions:

Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:25 am

Tomato sap is pretty noxious itself... must be a family trait. :roll:

It is always worth remembering that the same varieties that are stunningly good in one climate may be sadly meh somewhere else. So other people's faves are a good guideline for somewhere to start the tryouts, but ultimately the stars of a particular place are found by trialing lots of different ones.

I am really fond of apples, and I think if I were rich and idle I would take an apple tasting tour somewhere.... I've even thought how great it would be to visit Georgia and Kazakhstan part of the world where apples originated (and a lot of other good stuff too!).
temperate marine climate

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:00 pm

karstopography wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:19 am @Tormato I haven’t given pinks a chance.One meh pink, ML, is not giving pinks a fair shot. I’m giving a few more pink tomatoes their shot this season. Early indications look promising. Gregori’s Altai is a current rising by virtue of fruit setting star. 1884 is picking up steam. Maybe the fruit once ripe won’t taste good, but that remains to be seen. I’m willing to try different things and other varieties. Worse case, pinks will all be spitters and I’ll just continue to grow what I think are delicious reds, purples, and bicolors.

We might all be chasing flavor, but lucky for me, I like a number of flavors and combinations of them and no one has ever accused me of being a picky eater. That doesn’t mean I don’t have taste because there are certainly foods and so called edibles that are awful such as oatmeal, please, why is that disgusting glop considered food?

My tastes have a wide bandwidth, but there is definitely a signal and not just noise.
Since oatmeal at one time was considered animal fodder (by the elites), some people survived on it when famine came. They knew that virtually all of their domestic animals had to be slaughtered, therefore there would also be the animals' food to eat.

Funny that you should mention oatmeal. I haven't had any since just before covid happened. But I decided to start it up again. Like you, I abhor the texture of oatmeal, and the flavor of plain oatmeal. I add cinnamon, cranberry juice, toasted nuts, etc... for additional flavors. Then the key, I run it through a blender to get it quite smooth. It makes a world of difference, for me.

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:20 pm

https://www.gardenbetty.com/tomato-leav ... oxic-myth/
People eat tomato leaves, famous chefs use them in dishes, they won’t harm or kill you in reasonable doses.

https://www.foodandwine.com/cooking-tec ... all-tomato

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:22 pm

Return to “Tomato Talk”