Battery Powered Digging Tools

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Battery Powered Digging Tools

Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:41 am

I have been preparing a new bed that requires removing a large succulent. I trimmed the top with handheld pruners. Then I cut the middle with a Makita 18 volt reciprocating saw with a 12 inch pruning blade. I tried to dig the rest with a shovel but there were too many roots. A lot of finger size roots and larger. I used the reciprocating saw to cut through the dirt and roots. The soil is a sandy loam with no rocks imported and placed over hard soil. The blade held up well in the dirt.

Then I tried the shovel again but it was still too difficult for me. I am feeling my age. I have a 2 inch x 22 inch 1/2 inch earth auger (bulb planter) that has been sitting around for 10 years and has never been use. I used it with my 18 volt 1/2 inch drive Makita drill. It loosened the soil and released the roots. You will need a drill with reverse to back the bit out when it digs deep and gets stuck. Also be careful not to break your wrist when it catches on something. The project took about 2 weeks working about an hour a day.

It worked so well I wanted to try a larger diameter earth auger to work/blend the soil. I purchased a set on Amazon.

The quality is not as good as the one I have but it is acceptable. Reading the reviews someone complained about ruining their drill. My drill has overload protection. The drill handles the load well and protection has not occurred. Different soil conditions may be more difficult.

The larger 3.5 inch auger does a nice job blending the soil. It is only 16 inches long and has only a 3/8 inch shank but it is a nice addition to the 2 inch auger. The 2 inch auger is better for the difficult soil.

I tried using the 3.5 inch auger to blend the soil in a container. The bit splashed some soil out of the container. I have a variable speed drill which helps on slow speed. I tried the 2 inch auger in the containers and had better success keeping the soil in the container. It did a nice job of mixing the soil. Before planting the tomatoes I will use the 2 inch auger to blend in some compost and fertilizer. It also worked well to break up roots in root bound containers.

I also have a tiller attachment for the Makita. I can't recommend it because it has no wheels and is difficult to handle. I did use it with good results for a final tilling. It only went down about six inches.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Re: Battery Powered Digging Tools

Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:35 pm

An alternative to an auger for mixing soil in a container.

YouTube video of a paint mixer in action. A good example of splashing soil out of the container.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:10 pm

I have a post hole digger, HF one, 6" auger, works great. 30"+ in no time flat. It used to come with a 4" auger and then you had to buy the 6" optionally. Pretty sure that's how it was - when I went to buy one to do a fence, I knew I had to buy the 6" as well. When I got there, it came with the 6" instead, and I immediately looked to purchase a 4" but couldn't find one. 4" would makes some quick, deep tomato holes. I'd be using that every year, let the plants get a big and drop them in deep.

Seems to me I hooked up a mixing auger one time to a 1/2" 90 degree milwaukee. It has a hi/low range. The bit has just one rev of auger. I can't recall how it worked. Probably backfilled quick. Last year I was really surprised how easily a sturdy bulb planter made nice holes for my bean poles, but that is very worked soil and compost. I am still looking for a 4" bit for my post hole digger, though.

I watched the video...I'm not sure what that guy is mixing it for. He didn't even add anything. I dump mine out into a wheel barrel, add compost and such, and then repack. When you dump the bucket it is plenty easy to pull the old roots. Okay, at the end he adds the stuff...but it no easier than a wheelbarrow. Looks harder actually, all that spillage. He needs to set the speed down on that drill.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:29 pm

I found some better quality augers at Power Planter. 3/8, 1/2 and tube. I/2 x 2 inch up to 48 inches long. Also tempting to me is the 1/2 x 7 x 28 inch. The site has a lot of good info on earth augers which seems to be their specialty. Made in USA and more costly than the stuff I found on Amazon. I recommend 1/2 for more strength. They also sell adapters.
https://powerplanter.com/drills-and-augers/

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:32 pm

I couldn't resist and purchased the 1/2" x 7" x 28" auger.
https://powerplanter.com/drills-and-aug ... ole-auger/

Now I am thinking I should have opted for the 5 inch. My drill can handle it. I was able to activate overload one time so this is the limit for my drill. Powerplanter recommends a side handle and I agree. I like the quality of the auger. It drills a nice sized hole. It is a bit too much for me without a side handled drill unless the soil has already been loosened and old roots removed. I am hoping to find a use for it in my lower garden as a planting hole prepper.

My containers are mostly 25 gallons which I can't lift for mixing in a wheel barrel. I have three 40 gallon and several fifteen gallon and a few 5 gallon containers. I like the 3 1/2 auger for mixing these as long as I can keep the speed slow. Too bad they don't make a speed reducer for a drill.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:32 pm

I never looked for one...that would be a pretty nice thing actually. An inline gearbox that is driven by the existing chuck and has a outputs to a new chuck? Simple. Brilliant? It would need a big handle to keep it from spinning? I'll have to look for something.

edit well a quick search shows me a couple at $300 plus and someone saying their right angle attachment they bought at home depot has a 2:1 reduction.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:36 pm

About your makita drill with 1/2" chuck, no way to mount on there? Not even with...hose clamps or something around the drill body as base for attachment?
edit Mount a handle on there

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:25 pm

Good suggestion. There is no standard option for a handle. I found a handle that came with another tool. It has a loop that fits around the drill grip but it is much too big. I will have to contemplate a way to fill the gap or somehow make one with a clamp.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:03 am

Now I have the 1/2" x 5" x 28 inch auger.
https://powerplanter.com/drills-and-aug ... ant-auger/

This is a lot easier to handle with a drill without a side handle. It is a good length for using as a weeding tool. Without having to bend over I placed it off center to a weed and it cut it right off. If I want to remove the root I dig a little deeper. I did use my shoe to place dirt back in the hole.

In the garden prep it was easier to use than the 7 inch auger. It did run into a little trouble with some of the roots. For difficult areas I use the 2 inch auger first and then follow up with the 5 inch auger.
Last edited by zeuspaul on Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:00 am

I now have a side handle. I purchased a hammer drill that comes with a side handle. This drill is identical to my drill but also has the hammer function. The handle works for light duty work. However for heavy duty work its mount is too weak. I set up the drills with different augers which saves me a little time. I am not using the side handle because of the weak mount. With some experience I am getting better at holding the drill.
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:12 am

The side handle is more of something to keep the powerful drill from twisting out of your hand in drill mode.
This can be a very painful experience if you've never had it happen.
Possibly even breaking a finger.
You may think you can let off the trigger in time but you can't.
As many years as I have been using them I still on occasion get stupid and not put it on.
I almost always pay for it.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Return to “Soil Maintenance/Preparation”