Virus id

swordy
Reactions:

Virus id

Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:35 pm

2 plants of the same variety, while inside house in a plant nursery, under grow lights appear like this. Also another plant of different variety started looking almost like this.

And this is a closer look of the same photo.

Is this a virus? Should the plants be destroyed?
Thank you

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Re: Virus id

Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:16 pm

Looks to me like round up contamination. What are you using for a planting medium and where did you get it? Have you had any windows in the room open?

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:07 pm

Herbicide, likely 2 4 d. It can come in compost or manure.

swordy
Reactions:

Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:58 am

Sue_CT wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:16 pm Looks to me like round up contamination. What are you using for a planting medium and where did you get it? Have you had any windows in the room open?
Thank you both for your answers. What is most important to me is that this is not a virus! I was worried maybe I had contaminated seeds and this would spread to more plants.
Indeed I noticed the last soil bag I bought from supermarket was in bad condition. I would find inside the soil pieces of olastic! I got angry seeing that the compost they sold was made with no good care. But I never thought that it would be contaminated with chemicals (pesticides/herbicides). All tomato plants I transplanted to plastic cups that I filled with this soil died (except 2 plants of Santorini tomato variety!). But I didn't remember if I added some of this soil in the initial plant nursery, when taking out seedlings for transplanting. Maybe I did, and this is what happened as you guessed.
I post here a photo of the cups with seedlings dead or almost dead with the contaminated soil.

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:46 am

That's a real drag.
This stuff can come in horse manure too from the hay they eat.
I had a woman put some in my containers without asking.
I came unglued and got it all out.
First is was fresh, second she didn't ask.
Thirdly I can't stand her and never have because she kicked one of my cats.
Her husband is trapped in the marriage.
When the man told me what she did I literally exploded and said she needs to keep her #$%& away from my stuff.
One time she just walked over and started to pick a tomato without asking.
And I told here several times I didn't want her horse manure anywhere around my garden.

Next time do a bean test to see if the soil is contaminated.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

AZGardener
Reactions:

Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:10 am

It can also be in hay used for mulch. Someone I watch on YT had that happen to them.
USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 13
Average Rainfall 9.5 inches
Climate: Sonoran Desert

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:11 pm

When you see bits of plastic in compost, often the compost has been made from municipal leaf pickups. The city will tell homeowners to rake their leaves to the curb and a big vacuum truck will pick them up. Unfortunately, the vacuum also picks up whatever other garbage might be by the road, often plastic grocery bags that make up a lot of the pieces.

Furthermore, as a practical matter, the plastic pieces indicate being made from leaves, and thus you can presume the compost is primarily nitrogen. Some other producers of compost use animal processing waste, and that compost will be high in phosphorus and potassium.

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:22 am

While it certainly could be herbicide, another possibility is verticillium or fusarium wilt; those aren't viruses, though. They cause the plant to dehydrate above the roots, basically (not necessarily all at once, nor necessarily uniformly).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

svalli
Reactions:

Wed May 11, 2022 12:37 am

I just noticed this post and it looks definitely like herbicide poisoning. Manure, compost and hay are not the only possibly tainted mediums in gardens. Many liquid organic fertilizers made with molasses or vinasse have clopyralid residue form sugar beet industry. Sad thing is that those fertilizers were specifically marketed for tomatoes. Thanks to the tests done by Norwegian and Swedish organizations many of the manufacturers finally during last two years admitted that there is a problem.
Swedish home gardener's association has a lot of information on their website https://for.se/pyralidaffaren/

@swordy Did you use any type of organic fertilizer?

Sari
"I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and dream."
- Moomin-troll by Tove Jansson

swordy
Reactions:

Thu May 12, 2022 1:25 am

svalli wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:37 am @swordy Did you use any type of organic fertilizer?
Sari
Hi Sari,
Thank you for all the info. Yes I did use organic fertilizers. I used one with sea weed and one with Calcium. I used them vice versa after small periods of a couple of days of no using anything. I'll take photos to update this thread. It was yesterday when to ny surprise I saw the first tomato plant to have observed these signs who huge it grew on ground (I had put it separately to all the other plants just i case). And I can post now a photo of another one I spotted with the same symptoms some time later and I cut the top of its main stem and how it grew seemingly fine (this was in a small pot still waiting to bw planted on ground).

strawbaleking
Reactions:

Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:45 am

Same thing happened to this user
post80645.html#p80645

And to me. Either got it from being outside getting some sun hardening off from neighbors or maybe someone mentioned they were growing fine then I used some half strength kelp liquid fert (these were good size seedlings) and then the curling began not long after and they never really were the same and most stunted out never yellowed or died. Just curling almost twisting tip. They grew some but the curl was bad. On every single plant at same time.
Gary in Olympia, WA PNW
16 ft long cattle panel sorta High Tunnel using 20 gal peat/coir fabric grow bags
USDA Hardiness Zones 8a
Elevation 190 feet Rain, Cool, and Cloudy alot 52.37 inches rain Mid Oct-July 5th plus June Gloom. Heat Units 1693

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:13 am

I had this happen to my plants this year. I built new beds and used composted cow manure in them. I planted nice healthy plants into what I thought was beautiful soil and then they started to twist and curl and turn. They did survive and outgrew most of the funk but it was a tough go at the start for me. It's so frustrating when you try to care for your plants only to know that you have hurt them.
~ Patti ~

Return to “Diseases, Pests & Cures”