Balsam Camellia touch me not

swordy
Reactions:

Balsam Camellia touch me not

Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:43 pm

Does anyone grow these flowers? There are many colors, bicolors and occasionally new colors are created (I guess the same way a random hybrid can occur due to bugs crossing one variety to another). I used to collect all possible colors I could find from here or there. I ordered also from vendors (however some vendors gather seeds from any flower or plant no matter, so some of them end up single blossom and bad quality). The most beautiful balsam flower howrver, is a double flower. I once found in a monastery a multiple flower (red in color). It was like a rose! I was amazed! Unfortunately, the last time I kept seeds of my huge collection was 2011. The last month or more, I try to grow these old seeds with no success. Only seeds from 2 colors sprouted. I also ordered from a vendor who labeled "mix double balsam" so fingers crossed. Let's see what colors they are and if they are truely double and quality flowers..
I post the flower for those who don't know what a balsam flower looks like and the seedlings I have right now..

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Re: Balsam Camellia touch me not

Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:36 pm

Those are beautiful! I have never seen these types of varieties. The only kind I've seen are the wild varieties in the woods in my area. They are considered weeds, with little orange flowers and tall vegetation.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:04 pm

I grew these many years ago and I loved them. They would re-seed for me too. When I moved I lost the seeds and never found them again. They are quite lovely.
~ Patti ~

swordy
Reactions:

Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:45 am

Let's see what I will get this year.. If it's what I expect, I will save a huge pack of seeds of each color. In next year's trade, along with tomato varieties seeds I could send these as well.

Julianna
Reactions:

Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:43 pm

Rockoe10 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:36 pm Those are beautiful! I have never seen these types of varieties. The only kind I've seen are the wild varieties in the woods in my area. They are considered weeds, with little orange flowers and tall vegetation.
I adore jewelweed! I always loved it so much.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay
Lover of Fogust, tomatoes, flowers, and pumpkins

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:55 pm

Julianna wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:43 pm
Rockoe10 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:36 pm Those are beautiful! I have never seen these types of varieties. The only kind I've seen are the wild varieties in the woods in my area. They are considered weeds, with little orange flowers and tall vegetation.
I adore jewelweed! I always loved it so much.
The tall wild Jewelweed is a favorite of hummingbirds. In late summer when it is blooming the birds are all over it. I do not advise you to add this to a garden. It is a weedy plant that reseeds aggressively.
~ Patti ~

Julianna
Reactions:

Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:44 pm

MissS wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:55 pm The tall wild Jewelweed is a favorite of hummingbirds. In late summer when it is blooming the birds are all over it. I do not advise you to add this to a garden. It is a weedy plant that reseeds aggressively.
I don't even know that it would live here. I have I. Sodenii, i. Nachabarwensis "blue diamond," I. tinctoria (this one has me way excited), I sodenii "La Vida Rosa" and the last 3 are new to me this season. I have had sodenii for a few years and it does super well here, but i have never seen jewelweed user in a garden. Tinctoria looks like it wants our exact weather and the thought of a huge and scented flower and huge bush as well on the patio is quite exciting. I have been curious about balsam in general and so this thread looked exciting to me to follow.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

Julianna
Reactions:

Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:42 am

swordy wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:45 am Let's see what I will get this year.. If it's what I expect, I will save a huge pack of seeds of each color. In next year's trade, along with tomato varieties seeds I could send these as well.
Do you find these do ok in cooler temps? Or do they seem to like heat?
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:34 pm

Impatience tintoria has had my attention for a few years now. I haven't ordered it because Annie's Annuals shipping is so high and that is the only place that I seen it.
~ Patti ~

Julianna
Reactions:

Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:01 am

MissS wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:34 pm Impatience tintoria has had my attention for a few years now. I haven't ordered it because Annie's Annuals shipping is so high and that is the only place that I seen it.
That is exactly where i got it. I live like 70 miles south of them and shipping was like $40 for my order of 12 plants. So yes, a lot. I may or may not have been on the 4th day of zero sleep and middle of the night ordered it while half asleep, telling myself it was a mother's day present 😂. If mine does well, i can send you some.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

swordy
Reactions:

Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:21 am

Julianna wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:42 am
swordy wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:45 am Let's see what I will get this year.. If it's what I expect, I will save a huge pack of seeds of each color. In next year's trade, along with tomato varieties seeds I could send these as well.
It definitely likes cooler temperatures (of course not freezing or near freezing temps). It likes partly shade and it also likes moisture in the soil. If the soil dries, during the intense mid day sun it can wilt so much that it touches the ground. When you water it, it immediately rises up. However, if this happens a few times, it eventually dies.
I'm talking about the impatients balsamina (touch me not). Not the other relative species you are talking about.
I dropped seeds about a month ago, however I could have dropped seeds even earlier. I prepared it in a plants nursery like the tomato seeds.

Julianna
Reactions:

Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:06 pm

swordy wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:21 am
Julianna wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:42 am
It definitely likes cooler temperatures (of course not freezing or near freezing temps). It likes partly shade and it also likes moisture in the soil. If the soil dries, during the intense mid day sun it can wilt so much that it touches the ground. When you water it, it immediately rises up. However, if this happens a few times, it eventually dies.
I'm talking about the impatients balsamina (touch me not). Not the other relative species you are talking about.
I dropped seeds about a month ago, however I could have dropped seeds even earlier. I prepared it in a plants nursery like the tomato seeds.
Awesome, yes, i was talking about the balsam as well. All we have are cooler temps here. Doesn't freeze.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

Return to “Annuals”