Nursery Starts

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
bower
Reactions:

Re: Nursery Starts

Thu May 05, 2022 3:28 pm

It's been some years since I got anything from a nursery - except for my mom sending me on a mission to find her flowers. Our grocery store had perennials from a local nursery during the pandemic, so I got hers there and got myself a Tradescantia too. I had almost forgotten the sick amount of temptation involved in plant shopping... oh sweet! But crazy expensive these days. My Dad and I would always go together to the local nursery before Mother's Day and I brought Mom some "perennial" early thing every year... almost none of them survived. But we enjoyed it all the same. A few things did really well but it's a crapshoot.
The big box scene is a bit scary because of the pesticides but also some wierd bugs can turn up in plants they imported from off the island. I recall a tarantula was found in a pot from Walmart, that made the news. But reading about 'asian jumping worms' and other unfriendly stuff, makes me think even twicer..
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Re: Nursery Starts

Fri May 06, 2022 2:36 am

zeuspaul wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:43 am Then I checked Amazon and they had Bonnie Plants Bell Peppers for $4.19 each with coupon (must buy 4) with free shipping because I have Prime. I paid $4.85 each at Lowes for the same Bonnie 4 inch plant! +$5 for gas + my time.
I wanted more Bell Peppers so I decided to give this a try. At the time I ordered the Bonnie peppers were not available (last I checked they are back but more $). There were four Bell Peppers sold by Amazon and shipped by Amazon branded Plants by Post for a penny more no coupon necessary. I ordered May 2, shipped May 3, arrived May 5.

Judging from the tracking they came directly from Plants by Post in central California. They were not shipped by Amazon, they were shipped UPS. The only apparent role Amazon played was to process the order.

If I had ordered direct from Plants by Post I would have had to pay $8.95 shipping. Currently there is a two week delivery date.

The quality exceeded my expectations. The packaging was good. It was 9 inch square x 12 inch tall +/- box with four compartments. The good quality reusable square pots were wrapped in plastic. They wanted a drink of water. Two more days in shipping and they may not have looked so good. These are better quality than the ones I got from the nursery. They are larger with better stems than the ones I got from Lowe's but slightly sad after sitting in the dark box for about three days. They will be fine after a day or two. My only complaint is I don't know the variety.

Return to “General Discussion”