Irrigation system recommendations

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Re: Irrigation system recommendations

Tue May 10, 2022 3:31 pm

They do have these. I don't like the overspray I am seeing, which does not seem to occur with the others. But maybe it could be decreased by turning the flow rate down and allowing it to run a little longer. At least on this site, this type of emitter is recommended for pots and the built in emitters recommended for beds and in ground planting.
https://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/maxi ... -mjt-potst

Now if this is not a reliable site for information or there are better ways to do it, I am open to learning about them. Since I am just trying to learn about this stuff, of course my thinking could just be way off base simply due to ignorance. I don't discount that possiblity, lol. Like I said if you have done this or anyone has I would love to see pics and I think it would help me understand. Thanks for taking the time to try to help with this!

This site recommends the pre-installed emitter pipe or tubing for in ground plantings:
https://school.sprinklerwarehouse.com/d ... -emitters/

This is basically what I was trying to recreate:

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Tue May 10, 2022 3:33 pm

My thought was dripline for the 2x4 bed because I don't believe the 360s would work well because they use too much water. It comes in a 100 ft roll so maybe you could find another use for it. I was thinking cost saving. It can be cut to any length so you could make a double ring or half ring to increase or decrease the emitters. This is probably not the best solution for a small pot.

There are a lot of different emitters and you may need several different types. Or standardize with one and install singles or multiples depending on the different needs. I have no expertise in all of the available types of emitters.

And yes dripline is good for rows, that is all I use. All of my containers are watered by hand. I don't want to navigate through a bunch of irrigation lines in my container garden.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Tue May 10, 2022 4:02 pm

Sue_CT wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:11 pm I can’t see how I can connect all that tubing to the main tubing and keep all the water inside the pots without wasting water.
You would need 1/4 standard line coming from the 1/2 inch main line. Then a barb coupling to the 1/4 dripline after the line is inside the pot.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Tue May 10, 2022 4:26 pm

1/4 dripline 6 inch spacing .5 GPH 50 ft $11.46
https://www.dripdepot.com/item/quarter- ... olor-black

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Tue May 10, 2022 4:41 pm

Drip line is durable, economical and very easy to use. Our 1/4" drip line has 1/2 GPH emitters built right in. Available in varying emitter spacings to meet all your needs. This commercial grade, non pressure compensating poly drip line is made of the highest quality resins and is resistant to UV rays. This tubing is great for using in your raised beds, window boxes, garden rows (under 30'), and densely planted landscape areas. Many use it for square foot gardening and making tree rings also.
https://www.dripdepot.com/item/quarter- ... olor-black

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Tue May 10, 2022 7:42 pm

zeuspaul wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:33 pm And yes dripline is good for rows, that is all I use. All of my containers are watered by hand. I don't want to navigate through a bunch of irrigation lines in my container garden.
I should clarify. I have about 20 irrigation zones and they all use dripline. Only the tomatoes are in rows. Dripline is very versatile stuff. All broadcast and all soaker hose has been removed and replaced with dripline. I have 12 and 18 inch spacing, .5 and 1 GPH emitters. I prefer the .5 emitters because I can have longer runs and fewer zones. All of the trees have rings, the larger trees have two rings. Most of the trees are fruit trees.

The zones fed by gravity have a filter because the water source has algae. The landscape zones near the house which run off a 90 psi garden hose connection don't have a filter and don't have a pressure reducer. I regulate the pressure by the length of the run. It is not necessary to be too precise because the system operates within a pressure range.

Most of the zones were installed more than 5 years ago and I have had no problems.

If I were to install irrigation for the containers it would be dripline. It would be nice to have irrigation for the containers because I spend a lot of time watering.

rdback
Reactions:

Wed May 11, 2022 12:20 pm

zeuspaul wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:42 pm ...all soaker hose has been removed and replaced with dripline.
I too am thinking of dabbling with some type of irrigation system. I've been reading this thread and I must say, dripline was not making any sense to me. I'm thinking I need 1/2" main lines and 1/4" line with a dripper to run to each plant. I've got (24) 25' rows, and I'm getting swallowed by all the parts, tees, drippers, elbows, etc I need. THEN, I read your post above. Soaker hose. That's what I'm replacing! Why not use dripline? It's does the same thing! I don't need a dripper for each plant and all these individual lines tangled up and running all over the place. Now the fog has lifted. THANK YOU @zeuspaul! Sorry for the hijack @Sue_CT. But thank you for starting this conversation!

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Thu May 12, 2022 2:02 am

@Sue_CT I think with all of your unknowns adjustable drippers for the pots are a good idea. Adjustment capability would be like having a manual pressure compensating emitter. Something like the 360 you posted might be good depending on its adjustment capability. My guess is you would likely adjust on the low end and maybe not have the *shower*. I am not familiar with available types of adjustable emitters.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Thu May 12, 2022 9:54 am

I am a little confused by the recommendation you made that all the emitters have the same output. I am now considering including a small flower bed that the tubing has run right by or right through, but I don’t think the micro emitters would be as useful there and I would like to use a few of the larger ones with the “shower” effect there. But I don’t want to mess up the whole line of emitters if it would do that for some reason.

worth1
Reactions:

Thu May 12, 2022 10:21 am

Sue_CT wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:54 am I am a little confused by the recommendation you made that all the emitters have the same output. I am now considering including a small flower bed that the tubing has run right by or right through, but I don’t think the micro emitters would be as useful there and I would like to use a few of the larger ones with the “shower” effect there. But I don’t want to mess up the whole line of emitters if it would do that for some reason.
That's why I posted what I posted.
As long as you don't exceed the gallons per minute and minimum pressure you can do just about anything you want.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Thu May 12, 2022 12:34 pm

How do I know if I need to use a back flow preventer? She has an automatic sprinkler system with one for the lawn. Do I need one for this too?

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Thu May 12, 2022 12:36 pm

Sue_CT wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:54 am I am a little confused by the recommendation you made that all the emitters have the same output.
Did I say that? You have to balance the output to match the time the irrigation system is on because it will be the same time for all of them. If the situation is the same for all of them then the same size emitter would work well to accomplish that goal. If you turn your system on for an hour a .5 GPH emitter for a small pot will give you .5 gallons. During the same hour a shower emitter will yield 10 gallons.

How do you achieve the proper amount of water for each individual plant? It is more difficult with a mix of emitters each with a different flow rate. And various pressures due to upstairs and downstairs. If the various emitters are adjustable you can compensate for the differences.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Thu May 12, 2022 1:02 pm

Backflow preventer? Not sure if the one for the sprinkler system would protect everything or if I need one for this too. They can be quite expensive.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Thu May 12, 2022 1:11 pm

Pressure compensating drippers will emit the rated flow when upstairs or downstairs because they compensate for the different pressure. They will emit .5 GPH no matter where they are in the system.

If the system is in a state of flux adjustable drippers could be helpful. If the plant gets bigger and needs more water adjust it up. If the system gets too big adjust the drippers down and increase the watering time.

Swapping out drippers can be difficult. Barb connections standard in 1/4 inch can be very difficult to take apart. You will likely have to cut one out and replace if you want to change a dripper.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Thu May 12, 2022 1:22 pm

The sprinkler backflow won't protect the drip system. I doubt she needs one. I am struggling to think of how the drip system would backflow into the household water. The household water pressure would need to be lower than the drip system. If you turn the main water off in the house the pressure would drop to zero but still I can't see the drip water returning to the house.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Thu May 12, 2022 4:13 pm

Hunter HCV Check Valve $4.70
https://www.dripdepot.com/item/hunter-h ... f-inch-npt

Comment from a user

I am installing a drip irrigation system to use on my deck to support our container plants. This will be an integral part of my system. Timer, check valve, "add-it" fertilizer injector, "Y" Filter, pressure regulator, 1/2" black poly tubing, then success!!!

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Thu May 12, 2022 4:29 pm

@rdback a note of caution. The first *1/2* dripline I purchased was Rainbird. From the Rainbird site: Choice of 0.63" O.D. standard, plus 0.70" or 0.71" O.D. heavy duty. Their standard isn't a standard 1/2 line.
https://www.rainbird.com/products/12-dr ... ion-tubing

I had to purchase Perma-Loc 3/8 inch to 1/2 inch adapters from Drip Depot to use the line in a 1/2 inch system.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Thu May 12, 2022 9:07 pm

When selecting emitters check the pressure rating. More range in general equals easier to incorporate in a system. Pressure compensating, flow rate should be consistent at different system pressures.

I checked a few at Drip Depot.

Pressure compensating drippers 15 to 45 psi
Adjustable drippers................15 to 30 psi
Fixed drippers.......................5 to 50 psi (flow rate will vary a lot depending on system pressure)
1/4 dripline..........................up to 30 psi non pressure compensating (flow rate will vary a lot depending on system pressure)
1/2 dripline..........................12 to 50 psi pressure compensating

These numbers may not be universal across all product lines.

worth1
Reactions:

Sat May 14, 2022 10:35 am

Back flow prevention and what it's for.
I've been chewing on this subject and reluctant to say anything out of fear I might insult someone with my habitual problem of coming across condescending sometimes.
But here we go.

Said backflow prevention is a method of keeping contaminated water from flowing back into the public water supply or worse yet your own private well.
There are basically three different kinds.
Your regular double check valve type.
The reduced pressure assembly.
And the vacuum breaker.
All three of these have variations.

One might think they don't need one for whatever reason mostly because of their own habits and situations.
But in a municipalities point of view they have to look at every situation possible and the lowest common denominator.
That being just how stupid and or ignorant some people are.
Let's look at one situation.
For what ever reason you have a hose end stuck in your septic tank and you are filling it up.
Or the hose is out in the yard turned on and it's laying in a puddle of water that has fertilizer or dog poop in it.
Now for whatever reason the city needs to work on the water main or the darn thin blows.
Now your water line goes on a vacuum and siphons out all that contaminated water into the main water supply.
That's why they require this stuff.

The least expensive of the three are the vacuum breaker.
You can get one of these and screw it onto the hose big and then connect your hose or battery operated timer for your drip system.
It's a fail safe to protect others besides yourself.

The top of the line and what I have is the reduced pressure assembly.
Not only does it stop back flow it dumps the water in the down street side our on the ground anytime the is a pressure difference between one side and the other.

You don't have to spend a ton of money on vacuum breakers they are cheap.
Here is one for a hose bib.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DCh ... QGA&adurl=
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Sat May 14, 2022 11:48 am

Thanks, Worth!

Return to “Containers, Earthboxes and Raised Beds”