How's your weather?

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
Torquill
Reactions:

Re: How's your weather?

Sat May 07, 2022 10:49 pm

Cold tolerance in peas is linked to late flowering, if you activate that by planting too early, your peas will be later than ever, we sadly learned.
Oh, now I'm tempted to take out half of the peas that just sprouted, and plant fresh ones. I put the current ones in before the snow and last round of freezing temps, and it took them 4-5 weeks to emerge... if I understand what you're saying, peas I plant now may sprout a week to ten days later, but ought to flower with or ahead of the first batch. That could be very useful data to have here... in California I used to plant peas in September and harvest in February, I'm not used to the soil getting this cold.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat May 07, 2022 11:32 pm

Yesterday's rain was 1.15", so the total with the .82" of rain on late Thursday/and Friday, was 1.97", and rain is slow, but not stopping on Sunday. When will it stop??? I have to wait until Wednesday, to plant eggplants, due to cold nights.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

bower
Reactions:

Sun May 08, 2022 6:25 am

Torquill wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:49 pm
Cold tolerance in peas is linked to late flowering, if you activate that by planting too early, your peas will be later than ever, we sadly learned.
Oh, now I'm tempted to take out half of the peas that just sprouted, and plant fresh ones. I put the current ones in before the snow and last round of freezing temps, and it took them 4-5 weeks to emerge... if I understand what you're saying, peas I plant now may sprout a week to ten days later, but ought to flower with or ahead of the first batch. That could be very useful data to have here... in California I used to plant peas in September and harvest in February, I'm not used to the soil getting this cold.
Yes, that would be useful data! It all depends on your soil temperature and probably on how cold it got for how long.
Myself and two farmer friends planted peas extra early under row cover here, a couple of seasons. The peas that went in early grew normally but the plants just didn't flower for months on end. I couldn't say what all varieties were planted at the time by the 3 of us, but the results were consistent - no peas when we expected them, and didn't know why.
Then just recently I was reading about cold tolerance in peas, and learned that the cold tolerance found in Austrian Winter Pea for example, is genetically linked to late flowering. It all made sense from what I read, that activating frost resistance gene expression in any peas would also induce the late flowering as we had witnessed. I suspect that the 'linkage' is not just due to proximity of genes on a chromosome, but more likely a survival mechanism where both issues are biochemically regulated as one. Perhaps..
A friend in Britain advised me to plant peas when soil temp is 45F, which in spring is usually when air temperatures are regularly 50 F. That's what I did last year, and got early peas - plants flowered anywhere from 40 days from (sprouted) seed and up depending on variety, so definitely not set back. Just checked my notes and I will add they were not affected by the occasional frosty day. We even had 2 cm of snow on ground a week after they were planted (under row cover), but it was gone in a day or two. We had several bouts of cold weather with air temps below 50F, but not lasting more than 4-5 days. But they were planted when the highs were hitting 50F every day for a week.
It was the month or more of cold soil in the really early plantings that seems to have made our peas so late.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sun May 08, 2022 11:06 am

When I checked this morning, I had gotten another .15" since midnight, to add to the 1.97". It had stopped by about 11 am, when I went out to look at the tomatoes, and the rain and wind has not bothered them at all - most dark green, and new growth; I wasn't going to start plucking those suckers, as they were still wet. You know I'm getting antsy, being inside since Thursday, with all this rain! It almost getting bright out there, though no sun yet. More rain forecast for late afternoon, however.

Fortunately, nobody in the areas, even cooler than mine (got down to 45° here) has had frost problems, due to this non-stop wind!
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

worth1
Reactions:

Sun May 08, 2022 11:18 am

No rain in the forecast for the next 10 days.
Temperature reaching close to 100F.
Humidity going down.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

LindaJean
Reactions:

Sun May 08, 2022 5:51 pm

My tomato seedlings are shivering; it's around 50 right now but will start going back down to around 35 degrees tonight with a forecast of snow tomorrow.
A few days ago there were two tornadoes in Spokane Washington just over the border from here. I reckon this is the coldest Spring I've ever seen.

Torquill
Reactions:

Sun May 08, 2022 11:13 pm

Same here; even by northern Oregon standards, this has been cold and wet.

I stuck my hand into the beds at the house today, and the raised bed was mildly cool to the touch, not cold; I kind of expected that, as it's something like 14" high, and that means it warms up significantly faster. When I tested the bed for the tomatoes, which is still at ground level (the frame is in place, but I don't have soil for it, so I worked the ground for planting this year) I was surprised to find it was only barely cooler. If I had to guess, I'd put it between 55 and 60 three inches down -- getting warm enough for tomatoes and cucurbits, maybe warm enough for the runner bean roots that I overwintered, but the basil would doubtless like it slightly warmer yet. I need to get another probe thermometer, maybe tomorrow, so I can test a bit deeper.

Now I'm curious how warm the community garden beds are, they're a thousand feet lower...

AKgardener
Reactions:

Mon May 09, 2022 7:51 pm

Still wishy washy nights are still 32-35 and days 50 -56 still to cold for most things

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue May 10, 2022 4:04 am

No rain and not much chance of any in the extended forecast. Very little variation one day to the next, just a relentless moderate to strong flow off the Gulf of Mexico each and every day. Slowly building heat as the gulf waters continue to warm up. Cannot remember an April and now May like this with so little weather variation. Each day might be just a tiny bit warmer than the last. No continental or Pacific air masses or disturbances finding their way this far south to initiate any rain or real changes. Plenty of moisture in place, just no triggers.

We may or may not have breeze at night or early in the morning, most nights and mornings we have been getting a noticeable onshore wind, but, every afternoon there’s a guaranteed healthy breeze coming from the water. All that moisture, flow and energy is fueling weather someplace else. The place weather forgot. I’m sure weather will remember us again someday, just nothing visible on the horizon.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Mon May 16, 2022 6:23 pm

Very little rain with those early storms - they all missed me, except for enough to wet things, so I couldn't work. The later front looks like it can't miss.

At almost exactly 7 pm that thunderstorm is starting up, and heavy rain with it. Supposed to be fast, however.

And it was finished in less than 10 min., .12 inches. Temp dropped 8° in that time. This photo looks like I'm taking it through a window, with rain on it, but that's the rain coming down! And sun is out - reminds me of the sunshowers I would see in Florida, when visiting relatives, when I was a kid.
ImageA Florida style thunderstorm, with the sun still out! by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

rxkeith
Reactions:

Mon May 16, 2022 7:00 pm

last week was nice. heck we had sunshine, and blue skies, and temps in the 60s, 70s, and 80s even.
yeehaw, and yeehaw, spring is here to stay.

this week, we will be struggling to get to 60 degrees. we have some lows in the 30s, and low 40s.
winds are in the 20 to 25mph at times over several days. i had to bring the tomato plants in to the porch due
to heavy rain thursday at 4am. i wanted to stay in bed, but my wife insisted. good thing we did too. wind and
rain had knocked some of the plants around good. most will be ok.
i left the broccoli,and cabbage seedlings out because they are hardy. they will be ok. they were until sunday,
another heavy wind day. when i checked them out after work, the tray they were in was upside down on the ground.
the cell packs they were in were scattered around. i looked for the plants. the chickens found them first. fresh greens,
don't mind if i do. the plants i found were all stripped of most of their leaves. i jammed them back i into the cell packs
with some more potting soil, and they are now inside, and trying to recover. i really hate the wind sometimes. i can't put
the plants out to harden when wind gusts will knock them all to hell. i need to figure out some type of wind protection or
pray we get a few calm days, and get the temp back up too for crying out loud.

keith

bower
Reactions:

Tue May 17, 2022 7:39 am

Sorry about your seedlings Keith! This is why I love the fast growing brassicas like Yu Choy - ready to eat in 30-40 days. They're great to fill the bill while the slower ones are taking their time - or sub in when critter or weather tragedies throw the plan.
Your week of bad weather is pretty close to our normals, so take heart - you're in good company. ;)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue May 17, 2022 9:18 am

Lots of building heat. Yesterday broke the record for the day in the city of 94°. I think we were closer to 90°. The nearby cities are close to or exceeding maximum temperature records for the dates for many days now and no break until maybe the weekend. Oddly, locally, our mornings have been relatively cool and the dew points lower than excepted, in the 60s, probably because there’s been no rain in ages and the ground isn’t bleeding any excess moisture.

The extended heat wave is harder on some vegetables than others. As things begin to fail, I’ve got hot weather crops going in the open spots. Peanuts got planted in the potato patch. I just took up the crookneck squash and the zucchini is the watch list. Okra will replace those. The green beans are struggling and luffa, bitter melon and various other hot weather, southern peas and Asian long beans, winged beans, etc.will go it their wake.

Work with the weather instead of against it, this is something that makes sense to me.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Wildcat82
Reactions:

Tue May 17, 2022 3:18 pm

karstopography wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:18 am Lots of building heat. Yesterday broke the record for the day in the city of 94°. I think we were closer to 90°. The nearby cities are close to or exceeding maximum temperature records for the dates for many days now and no break until maybe the weekend. Oddly, locally, our mornings have been relatively cool and the dew points lower than excepted, in the 60s, probably because there’s been no rain in ages and the ground isn’t bleeding any excess moisture.

The extended heat wave is harder on some vegetables than others. As things begin to fail, I’ve got hot weather crops going in the open spots. Peanuts got planted in the potato patch. I just took up the crookneck squash and the zucchini is the watch list. Okra will replace those. The green beans are struggling and luffa, bitter melon and various other hot weather, southern peas and Asian long beans, winged beans, etc.will go it their wake.

Work with the weather instead of against it, this is something that makes sense to me.
Since 5 May our temperatures have ranged from 97 - 101 degrees. Even my jalapenos wilt every afternoon despite nightly watering.

These plants have been unfazed by the heat:
Ichiban eggplant - already harvested 8-9 fruit and the plants are loaded
Blueberries - the 14 March freeze killed off some blooms but it looks like I'll have a good harvest starting in a week or 2
rosella - plants are 2 foot tall and look great
japanese purple mustard - already harvested 2 huge bunches with more on the way
Okra - 3-4 foot tall plants just started blooming
ground cherries - loaded with a hundred little lanterns
sweet corn - should be ready to harvest next week
korean melon - vines are 5 foot long and loaded with flowers

and of course the zinnias are flowering nicely.

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Tue May 17, 2022 4:08 pm

@rxkeith; "i can't put the plants out to harden when wind gusts will knock them all to hell."

Ever consider packing 'em tight in rectangular black plastic cement mixing tubs with ~4 inch/~10.16 cm sides?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Black-Large ... /318924309

My Keweenaw dwelling BIL doesn't capitalize his "I"s, either; there something in the water up yonder...?

The Gotch
Last edited by Cornelius_Gotchberg on Wed May 18, 2022 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Tue May 17, 2022 6:25 pm

I pack my Radio Flyer Wagon with Solo cups full of tomatoes and wheel them in and out of the garage as required, lol. But I would caution on putting them out in very windy weather regardless, because I was the victim of that, or rather my plants were just a few years ago. I left them out in the wagon while I went to work not realizing how windy it was going to get and came home to dried out, wind burned, almost dead plants. I lost almost all of them. I ended up saving a few and buying a few healthier plants. The ones I saved did recover, but it took a bit.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Wed May 18, 2022 2:14 am

I use a 50 gal fish tank to protect starts from heavy wind. The ones that don't fit get taken inside.
may18.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Fri May 20, 2022 5:10 am

Jack Frost will come out to play tonight, forecast is for 1C, 33.8 F, but tend to be a couple of degrees cooler than local weather station. Fortunately got the capsicum covered again.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Fri May 20, 2022 9:37 am

It got up to 98 yesterday, forecasted for 96 today. However there's some kind of mild front coming tomorrow and a 45% chance of afternoon t-storms each afternoon next week so temps will gradually decrease to upper 80's. Spring is definitely gone and summer is here.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri May 20, 2022 1:51 pm

Thunderstorm starting now - don't know how much it will bring, but probably not much. They just posted a severe thunderstorm warning for the area, and with a tornado watch in some of the area. Turned on the AC for the first time earlier - was up to 85°, but tomorrow's the killer, forecast for 97° now. I
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “General Discussion”