Growing Snake Bean (gourd)

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
GoDawgs
Reactions:

Growing Snake Bean (gourd)

Sun May 22, 2022 5:33 pm

This afternoon I've been reading reviews on Baker Creek's site about the snake bean I'm growing. What a hoot!
https://www.rareseeds.com/chinese-python-snake-bean

This is going to be an interesting and fun time indeed! After reading about people's problems getting the seeds germinated, I feel pretty good that mine are coming up seven days out. Of course it really helps to have VERY warm soil. Plus the seeds were soaked for 24 hours, not overnight. I made a ridge of soil under the trellis so that it would get really warm and then planted the beans in small depressions down the ridge so the water wouldn't run off.

Then I did some research online. This thing, Tricosanthes cucumerina, isn't really a bean but a gourd. It's also a night bloomer with very frilly white flowers. And the wild thing is that it is in the cucumber family! I found a really good tutorial and here's the link in case anyone wants to play with this.

https://www.evergreenseeds.com/snake-gourd/

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re: Growing Snake Bean (gourd)

Sun May 22, 2022 6:33 pm

The white flowers and night blooming sound similar to bottle gourds - something that I grow every year. I have to hand pollinate the early flowers, but later there is pollinating by something. If you have a lot of moths, you might not have to do this.

I'll be waiting for your results with these, and if any pests or diseases seem to appear.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun May 22, 2022 6:46 pm

I’ve got some snake bean seeds and will likely plant some pretty soon. I gave some seeds to my daughter and maybe she’s already planted hers. I’ll check.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

slugworth
Reactions:

Sun May 22, 2022 7:36 pm

Back in the 70's zayres dept store had a brand of seeds geared towards kids called silly seeds.
Yard long beans,10 foot tall corn,snake cucumbers.
The snake cukes looked just like pickling cukes except they were skinny and 2 feet long.
I have never seen them since.
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”