Favorite mustard plant variety

Shule
Reactions:

Favorite mustard plant variety

Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:03 pm

What's your favorite mustard plant variety? I'm especially interested to hear about those with large leaves.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re: Favorite mustard plant variety

Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:54 pm

The one I use the most of, and grow a cluster of it in the off-season in hydroponics, is Mizuna. It's the smaller leaf type, that keeps coming back over and over, has a mild flavor, and is good in salads, as well as cooked dishes. This red one is the only red one that had lasted this long w/o bolting. I've had other reds bolt much earlier, while greens have lasted well into July, before bolting, and into April or May, in the hydroponics.
ImageBeni Houshi Mizuna, 5-27, with no bolting, and growing like crazy! Most reds bolt early. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageA bunch of the red mizuna cut away, showing the leaf lettuce and some later planted green mizuna. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Komatsuna is a favorite larger leafed one, but senposai (komatsuna x cabbage) is even larger, and longer lasting, and I've had misome (komatsuna x tatsoi) last even longer. And all of them have relatively mild flavor, for mustards.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:07 am

I like the hot curly leaf mustard I used to be able to get in the store.
Haven't seen it for years.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:10 pm

Here's that red mizuna again, about 2 weeks after that last large harvest. I've cut bits and pieces from it, for salads, but it was totally growing over the lettuce again, and was even larger, as you can see. No sign of bolting, which is great. And the green mizunas are taking off, too, as you can see! And all these clumps started as one plant each.

You can see why these are my favorites, overall!
ImageLess than half of the single red mizuna plant harvested at one time again. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRed and green mizuna, along with some leaf lettuce. 6-11 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe largest of the green mizuna plants, 6-11 by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “Salad Greens/Lettuces and Micro Greens”