-----

Peppers:
Big Red:

Canary Bell (A):

Canary Bell (A0):

Canary Bell (A1):

Canary Bell (A2):

Canary Bell (A3):
Last edited by Shule on Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Shule
Reactions:

Re: Shule's 2022 growlog

Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:46 pm

So, I've noticed that Morsel_B F2 is growing very fast. It looks as big and mature as the tomatoes I seeded weeks before it, which is to say, quite a bit larger than all its fellows seeded at the same time. I'm really curious about the father of the cross. Hamson is the next largest of its aforementioned fellows.

Possible fathers of Morsel_A F1 are these (based on what I grew in 2018, when I saved the seed that grew Morsel_A from Napoli):
- a Galapagos Island cross F1
- Sweet Orange Cherry
- Husky Cherry Red F5
- Early Pick F1
- Volunteer (this one must have been a cross; very prolific, strong, vigorous and large plant with yellow/gold fruit)

Early Pick F1 was the closest of those to Napoli, but the fruits were probably too large.

I'm not sure I grew any other cherries that year. Morsel_A was an ovate red large cherry, and was somewhat sweet.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:11 pm

One of the watermelons sprouted. There are only two kinds, and I didn't label them, but when it produces fruit, I should be able to tell by the look of the rind, and whether or not it tastes like Jolly Ranchers.

A second tomato (v22_A10) produced a bloom. It's a volunteer and is probably Galapagos Island. I believe it's in the same spot that v21_A24 (it's likely parent) was.

The first tomato to bloom has a whole cluster of flowers.

No fruit has set, yet.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:49 pm

A second watermelon sprouted, and v22_A9 bloomed since the last time I posted (which was about an hour and a half ago).

Shule
Reactions:

Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:17 pm

Shule wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:50 am . . . I gave all the potatoes, two rows of wonderberries, Nina_B, Roma VF (all three of them), v22_A3, v22_A4, v22_A7, v22_A8, v22_A9, v22_A10, and Canary Bell (A) both potassium sulfate and 24-8-16 All-purpose Miracle Gro, both in the ground. I gave about two thirds of the snow peas Miracle Gro in the ground. If the things I gave Miracle Gro respond well, I'll probably give some to the rest of the tomatoes and peppers (among other things).

. . .
The only plants that obviously liked the Miracle Gro in the ground were the potatoes and the Nina_B tomato. (Edit: looking at them later today, I notice some possible benefit to the other tomatoes; I hadn't been outside today when I started this post.) The snow peas evidently disliked it, because the ones I fertilized turned chlorotic on top, and the ones I didn't fertilize further down the row are just fine. So, I think I'll stick with foliar sprays with Miracle Gro, for the most part (and probably not on peas). I'll probably still do some experimentation in the ground.

As to why peas would turn chlorotic on top after receiving Miracle Gro, I don't know. Any ideas?

The yellow parts seem to be dying off, with the rest of the plants being fine.

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:26 am

My first tomato set fruit, yesterday. It was MKX_B F2. The fruit shape looks oval, I think (it's still small; so, I could be wrong about the shape). I'm guessing it'll be like an oval, but a bit fatter in the middle than a true oval.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:32 am

Well, the first fruit (of MKX_B) is actually round--not plum-shaped. It's also PL. So, its fruit-shape and leaf-type should be stable already. It's growing vigorously.

EDIT (23 Jun 2022): Actually, they really are plum/ovate-shaped.
Last edited by Shule on Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:59 am

I noticed different kinds of calyces on MKX_B1 than MKX_B, MKX_B0, and the Snacker_ tomatoes. It has a long-ish kind that point toward the blossom end (the sort I mean isn't a common calyx type for a cherry tomato). That should give clues as to MKX_A's father, but I don't recall which red, round, RL tomatoes were like that in 2016, if any of them.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:09 pm

I planted my carrots 69 days ago. They're 60-day carrots, but they took a while to sprout. I don't see any bulbing, yet.

I pulled up the Cherokee Golden tomato. It was still only an inch tall or so, and it was wilting heavily, despite moist soil.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:52 am

Last I checked (on Wednesday), there were six containers of watermelon that had sprouted. Some containers had multiples.

Shule
Reactions:

Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:03 am

I changed my mind about the Miracle Gro (24-8-16) in the ground, with regard to tomatoes, and decided to experiment some more. It seems to be helping more than I first thought (but I still think foliar sprays with a pump sprayer work much faster and are probably about or at least a hundred times as efficient).

I pulled up a few tomatoes (such as u22_A and the tomato that I wasn't sure if it was a volunteer or a member of MKX_, as well as the volunteer that is probably Galapagos Island right by my western neighbor's fence--someone sprayed weed killer on it for some reason).

Yesterday, I gave about 25 tomatoes Miracle Gro in the ground, including all the Snacker_ tomatoes, Cherokee Yellow Perfection Peach, the three westmost Amana Orange tomatoes, all the MKX_ tomatoes except for the first one to set fruit, Frog Princess, all the Broy_ tomatoes, all the Roma VF tomatoes, Italian Heirloom, Nina_B, Nina_B0, and the westmost remaining volunteer that is probably Galapagos Island.

Today, I thinned the wonderberries and ground cherries.

I have a tricot watermelon; the three cotyledons look like a rabbit. There are twelve containers of watermelons that have sprouted or begun to sprout, so far. If anymore sprout, then I'll know that they're not all the same kind, for sure.

The biggest tomato plants seem to be two of the Broy_ tomatoes. Their leaves are huge.

MKX_B set at least two more fruit. The fruits have flattened blossom ends.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:39 am

Morsel_B had set some fruits (I think three), by Tuesday. V22_A10 set fruit by Wednesday.

So, at least the following tomatoes have set fruit:
- MKX_B (at least 8, and I guess I was right the first time; they are plum/ovate-shaped)
- Morsel_B (probably at least 3)
- v22_A8 (not sure how many)
- v22_A9 (ditto)
- v22_A10 (ditto)

A thirteenth watermelon sprouted maybe two to four days ago. So, we have at least two kinds. I hope they can mature in time, being transplanted so late. They look like they need fertilizer, too.

It's supposed to be 105 on Monday, but the interesting news is that might be the hottest day of the season. So, the whole season might be cool(er). I wonder how that will affect fruit production, with so many days in the 80s.

We had some blossom drop on Wednesday. It's a shame I haven't sprayed with calcium nitrate, yet (it seems to help there). I should do that on Friday. I'll probably spray with Epsom salt soon, too (not the same day); I've never sprayed that before; I've always put it in the ground (but as I added it to the soil everywhere last year, I want to make sure I don't overdo it by putting it in the ground again, this year, just in case).

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:20 pm

By this morning, Frog Princess set a fruit, and MKX_B set another fruit.

Julianna
Reactions:

Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:39 am

Shule wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:20 pm By this morning, Frog Princess set a fruit, and MKX_B set another fruit.
I hope you end up.liking FP! I feel so invested in this 😂
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay
Lover of Fogust, tomatoes, flowers, and pumpkins

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:44 am

This entry is for yesterday:

A fourteenth watermelon sprouted.

Fruit set:
- Snacker_C0 set at least two fruit. It's also the largest Snacker_ plant, this year. The fruits look more oblong/ovate than I was expecting, so far; maybe round isn't fully recessive.
- Snacker_C set a fruit, too, which I noticed later.
- MKX_B set a fruit on another flower stalk; there are 10 fruits that have set on the plant, so far.

I fertilized some tomatoes in the ground with 24-8-16 All-purpose Miracle Gro, in the morning, including the following (all the watermelons, and the ground cherry, too):
- Pearler_B through B2
- Carbon (B0)
- Snacker_C3 through C6
- Nina_B and B0
- Gold Medal (A)
- Amana Orange (B1A9)

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:55 pm

Julianna wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:39 am
Shule wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:20 pm By this morning, Frog Princess set a fruit, and MKX_B set another fruit.
I hope you end up.liking FP! I feel so invested in this 😂
Here's an update for you! It has set at least three fruits. It has more leaf curling than most other tomatoes in the garden (out of those I'm growing this year), but it's still growing vigorously despite that (so, I'm not worried; I'm impressed that it can do that). The plant is large and bushy. Here are some pictures from today (of the plant and its three fruits):
IMG_20220702_211059.jpg
IMG_20220702_211154.jpg
IMG_20220702_211147.jpg
IMG_20220702_211126.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Shule on Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:05 pm

@Julianna
I'm imagining that the calyces are crowns. :)

Julianna
Reactions:

Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:09 am

Yessss! That is exactly what mine looked like as well. I thought the leaf curl was because i had it in a basket and it was always running dry, but maybe it is a trait?
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay
Lover of Fogust, tomatoes, flowers, and pumpkins

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:12 pm

Okay, the weather forecast has totally changed for the next couple months. Instead of the temperate weather they previously predicted, it's supposed to be between 90 and 101 from yesterday until August 17th. Then 89 on the 18th, in the 90s from the 19th to the 23rd, in the 80s for a couple days, in the 90s for a couple days and then the 80s for a good while before it gets colder. No more temperatures above 101, though.

We've been having a number of days in the 90s, already, but I haven't been keeping track. So, let me see. The record says it was in between 89 and 104 last week, and this last Sunday (with only one day, Wednesday, being 89). Monday (the day before yesterday) was 84. Tuesday 93, today 93. June was mostly cold to warm (not hot): other than last week, we only had three days in the 90s in June.

I was watering the tomatoes every two to four days or so, but I'm transitioning to dry farming (and/or leaf watering), now (the last watering was on Saturday). Most of the plants are pretty big. I'll probably water the smaller plants more often.

I pulled up Cosmic Eclipse, because it had some weird stuff going on with it's new growth (the leaves had some bronze color on them). I tested it for bacterial wilt while I was at it (since it had a lot of leaf curl and I was curious), but no bacterial films came out. I tested a few other things, too, like a severely chlorotic watermelon and a branch of Morsel_B, which rather suddenly started curling some and looks sick (but all the tests were very much negative; I don't know that they would test positive at this point, though, nor if a branch of Morsel_B would be enough).

I pulled up the ground cherry, too, since it looked like it might have some disease, and I didn't want it to spread to the tomatoes.

It's supposed to rain today (probably because of the fireworks; we usually get a rain within a few days after Independence Day), but no rain is on the forecast beyond that; that's normal for July and August (although Thunderstorms in early August are common, but none are forecasted, yet).

A number of different tomatoes set fruit yesterday (and more set fruit that I haven't mentioned here before that).

Cherokee Yellow Perfection Peach is pear-shaped! I don't know if it's a cross, or if it's unstable. Last time I grew it, it was light apricot-colored (not yellow). So, if everything else is the same, maybe I'll rename it Cherokee Apricot Pear (if it holds true for more than a season).

The only solid candidates for a father to a cross would be Japanese Black Trifele and Cold Black Brandy. A lesser possibility is Cherokee Yellow Red Pear (which wasn't actually pear-shaped, but it might have had the genes). However, JohnnyRock did have some pears, so it might just be unstable. It's semi-wispy, though, and none of the varieties I mentioned by name were wispy at all.

@Julianna
Frog Princess impressed me today by how much the fruits have grown. I think they've about quadrupled in size since I took that picture. I didn't examine it a lot; I do know it set at least one more fruit.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:39 pm

Today: 95/65; UVI 9.1
Tomorrow: 98/66; UVI 10

The following tomatoes have set fruit, to date (if I first noticed the fruit today, then I say 'today' by it):
Amana Orange (B1A3; today; it also has the largest plant)
Brandy Boy F11 (B2; today)
Broy_ (A; this set significantly before today, but the fruits are still small)
Carbon (B0; it set fruit recently, but before today)
Carolina Yellow (A and A0)
Cherokee Yellow Perfection Peach (B)
Frog Princess (A; this has the largest fruit, so far)
Hamson (A)
Italian Heirloom (A)
MKX_B (this has, by far, the most fruit by volume, so far, and probably the most fruits, too; it was the first to set fruit)
MKX_B0
MKX_B1
Morsel_B
Pearler_B
Pearler_B1
Roma VF (A, A0, and A1--but especially A0, which was also the first to fruit, and has the largest plant; A and A1 may have set fruit today, but I'm not sure)
Snacker_C
Snacker_C0
Snacker_C1
Snacker_C2
Snacker_C3 (today)
Snacker_C6 (today)
v22_A0 (probably Cosmic Eclipse; however, I pulled it up)
v22_A1 (probably a Snacker_)
v22_A3 (possibly today; probably Galapagos Island)
v22_A7 (probably a BSX cross; today, but the fruit is pretty big--so, maybe I didn't notice it yesterday)
v22_A8 (probably Galapagos Island)
v22_A9 (probably Galapagos Island)
v22_A10 (probably Galapagos Island)

The UV index is supposed to be 10 tomorrow.

Of the peppers, Canary Bell (A3) has the largest plant. The peppers should like the warmer weather (they get deformed leaves when it's not hot; calcium nitrate helps, but warmer weather helps more).

At least some of the wonderberries have set fruit, which I noticed, today.

Nina_B0 has a thicker stem and bigger flowers than Nina_B, but Nina_B is taller.

Return to “Grow Logs(Glogs) And Video Logs(Vlogs)”