Is anyone growing Plumcot or Aprium trees?

PlainJane
Reactions:

Is anyone growing Plumcot or Aprium trees?

Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:16 am

Plumcots are 50/50 plum and apricot heritage while Apriums are 75% apricot to 25% plum, roughly.

I have a space in my little backyard orchard for 1 more tree and am trying to narrow options.
I’m in zone 9A officially but in a warm microclimate close to the St Johns River. So probably more like 9B.
The last few years have seen about 300 to 350 chill hours in my estimation.

I have several low-chill pluots and a plum already (in addition to lemon, lime, figs, blueberries and an experimental low-chill sweet cherry.)
I’ve already tried apples and pears and ripped them out for lack of productivity and disease issues.
I don’t spray so will be avoiding peaches and nectarines.

Looking for anyone’s experience with plumcots or apriums, preferably in the southeast or at least the east coast.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

Shule
Reactions:

Re: Is anyone growing Plumcot or Aprium trees?

Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:51 pm

We had a plumcot a number of years ago. It was earlier than our Stanley plum, later than our Mormon apricot, and more tart than both. I liked it, but as it was pretty tart, it might need more sugar than others when making things out of it. I don't know what variety our plumcot was. The texture of the fruit was like a plum. Apriums look pretty awesome.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

PlainJane
Reactions:

Re: Is anyone growing Plumcot or Aprium trees?

Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:08 am

@Shule I was hoping more folks were venturing into the interspecifics so I could draw on direct experiences. They are popular in California but that climate is so different than mine.
Maybe I’ll try the old ‘2 trees in 1 hole’ method and fit them both in. Ot steal more of the grass area for fruit growing!
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Fruits/Berries/Currants”