how close to plant peppers?

Discussion and tips for growing all types of peppers
karstopography
Reactions:

Re: how close to plant peppers?

Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:56 am

I planted them closer together than I had ever had this season and it seems to work out overall for the better. They have definitely grown into each other’s space, but they end up offering support for each other and still seem productive. The soil gets plenty of shade from the closely planted peppers.

Aji Cristal is a huge towering tree of a pepper plant as compared to many others like Corbaci, Jimmy Nardello, Pepperocini, Ajvarski, Shishito, Hot Banana, etc. My Poblanos are really tall and sprawling. Both the Aji Cristal and poblanos cross over into more than a few other plants spaces.

In the one bed with the closest spacing, the plants are all closer than 24” apart and a bit more than 12”. Some are edging towards 12” apart and others are more like 20”. Seems like a 14” apart type of deal isn’t all that bad for the more compact varieties. Maybe the bigger types would enjoy a little more space or their neighbors appreciate the extra space. Aji Cristal definitely throws some shade on the Jalapeño next to it. Two poblanos are towering over an Anaheim/NuMex type.

It would be nice to have a feel for each type of pepper and just how big the plants get and then plot the planting accordingly.

I might try to block in the bigger ones together with more spacing between plants and the more compact ones in their own grouping planted more closely. Maybe one bed spaced farther apart with sprawling types and then another with more compact types planted more closely.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

slugworth
Reactions:

Re: how close to plant peppers?

Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:24 pm

3 in a plastic dishpan with drainage holes.
2 cherry bomb and 1 baron.
I plan on bringing them indoors this fall before frost hits.
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

Return to “The Pepper Patch”