Dehydrated apples, peelers and vacuum sealing.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Re: Dehydrated apples, peelers and vacuum sealing.

Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:11 am

I have had about a 20% failure rate with wide mouth lids within 2 or 3 days of sealing. I don't use the rings, just the lids. So far I haven't experienced this with the regular lids. I have been reusing the wide mouth lids which may be the reason. I have recently started using the regular lids because I can get a better price. I only use Newell (formerly Jarden). Newell makes Ball, Kerr and Golden Harvest and they are made in the USA. I can get a better price on others but I don't trust them. Some Amazon reviews complain about sharp edges which I think may cut into the rubber seal on the vacuum sealing top?

I have been using a hand pump to create the vacuum. More recently I switched to the rotary vacuum pump (post no 5) and either of my 2 types of vacuum sealing tops. Since switching I haven't had any failures and it has been a couple of weeks. Alternately I could probably have good success with a hand pump and a ring. I prefer without the ring because it is so easy to check if the vacuum is holding.
lid and ring.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Preserving Methods, share recipes and techniques!”