Tomatina's garden 22

Tomatina
Reactions:

Tomatina's garden 22

Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:54 am

Hey everybody:)

As I said, in my introduction post, I'll write a bit about my gardenseason so far - I started with sweet peppers in January:
California Wonder
Ferenc Tender
Frühzauber
Healthy
Jarik
Polka
Rote Blockpaprika
Topepo Rosso

Most of them, I'm growing the first time. The years before, I was never satisfied with the outcome - so I did some research & got varieties, promising an early start and lots of fruits.
So far, it is working pretty good, we're doing a count of the harvested peppers.
I'll write a resume at the end of season.
Sweet peppers Polka:

We also overwintered some chili plants, probably Kashmiri Mirch (got the seeds from dried Chilis in India) and we have one Habanero, that we started in January as well.

My tomatoes this year:
Andenhorn
Aladin's Lamp
Babuschka
Berner Rose
Black Krim
Bloody butcher
Brandywine pink
Cuban black
Dark Galaxy
Dark stripe micro
Delicious
Himbeerrose
Hoffmann's Rentita
Janet's Jacinthe Jewel
Lecker Tomate
Magiquo
Marianna's Peace
Marmande
Nonna Antonia
Piennolo del Vesuvio
Prinz Tschernji
Purple Cherokee
Ramalett
Ruthje
San Marzano
Siberia
Sergeant black pepper
Subarctic Plenty
Vintage Wine

20 of them are new to me. I started them in March & kept 50 plants.
The years before, we had around 60+ and I figured, that 50 productive plants will do.
Well, some of the new bees are not as produktive as I thought and I'm hoping for a mild fall, in order to fill up our stock.
I'll also write something about my experiences with the different tomatoes at the end of the season.

Dark Galaxy:

Okay, that's it for a start :)
Sunny greetings
Ina
In the heart of Germany, Zone 7

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Tomatina's garden 22

Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:46 am

What a nice start. You are growing some nice varieties and I am looking forward to seeing more.

Where are you located? Locations play a big part on how well things grow or not.

Here is a guide so that you can add your location to your profile. It's fine to have just a general location to give us an idea. how-to-add-your-location-to-your-profile-t1223.html
~ Patti ~

Tomatina
Reactions:

Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:37 pm

Hi :)
The weather here changed from hot dry summer to rainy, windy fall pretty fast, now it is a bit warmer again - I hope for a golden fall :D

Most tomatoes are still doing well, Berner Rose & Schlesische Himbeere:

Last week was all about picking grapes and making wine - we have a total of 30 liters (around 8 gallons, if I got that right) so far, bubbeling happily + some pasteurised grapejuice.

The walnuts are also starting:

The sweet peppers, especially outside, are doing great, some plants have up to 20-30 small fruits emergine, hope the weather allows them to ripen.
That will be the second crop and so far I'm pleased with the peppers this season.
Same variety (Jarik) in the Greenhouse with ripe fruits
The sweet corn got eaten by the racoons when they started to ripe - well, might scip them next year or protect them with a electro fence.
The cabbage looks very good and we're slowly starting to eat some - we're also going to make a big pot of Sauerkraut, maybe in a month or two.

Wish you all a beautiful time :)

MissS
Reactions:

Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:39 pm

Everything looks great still. What state are you gardening in? I hope that your weather stays nice for awhile longer for you.

You can add your location to your profile quite easily. Here is how to do it how-to-add-your-location-to-your-profile-t1223.html
~ Patti ~

Tomatina
Reactions:

Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:43 am

Hi :)
I want to share some of my experiences from last season.

Overall it was a great year, we're still having fresh tomatos, the first frost was quite late, mid November.

Some of the best tomatos this season were Brandywine pink, Berner Rose, Purple Cherokee, Schlesische Himbeere & Pienollo del Vesuvio.
The Dwarf/Multiflora Dark Stripe Micro was also very tasty, but I found the fruits are a bit too small for me.

We counted our peppers this year, we had 235 sweet peppers from 22 plants (actually more, but for the small ones, we counted 2-3 as one)
Topepo Rosso, Polka, Jarik & a unnamed variaty were the tastiest. Ferenc Tender had a good sie & were good for frying. Frühzauber & Healthy were prolific, but small fruits and the taste was just okay.

We had 54 Chilis from two plants (Seeds from India, probably Kashmiri Mirch)
A great hot pepper with a somehow smokey, fruity taste. We took a cutting from the plant inside to overwinter it.

Our lazy Habanero just produced three unripe minifruits.

I'm looking forward to try the new variaties from the swap :)

I wish you all a wonderful new year & lots of fun with plannig the next season

bower
Reactions:

Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:01 am

Everything looks wonderful, and it sounds like 22 was not too bad at all! Wishing you the best for 2023. :)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:28 pm

You got almost as many peppers as I got! Except mine were all hot. :o I'm surprised your habanero didn't do well - back in the 80s, when they first came on the market (for seeds, that is), I had the same problem, and they had extremely long seasons to ripen, like 120-130 days, but they are much better now, and just one plant gives me way more than I can use.

Good luck in the next season, with everything, and stay safe!
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Tomatina
Reactions:

Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:13 pm

Thanks Bower & pepperhead212

Yeah, the Habanero was a lazy Queen, she got a premium spot in our greenhouse and her leaves got to the size of my hand (I guess she got too much N fertilizer at the wrong time probably)
The seeds are from a holiday on the Canaries.
We had other Habaneros before and they produced a lot of fruits.

I was also thinking, that the unlimited space for the roots told her, that there is no hurry to set fruits? Maybe she would have produced earlier in a container?
(My partner took a cutting of the plant as well, still sitting in a waterglass, even too lazy to make new roots ;) )

That is something I wanna try next season as well, limited vs unlimited space for the peppers.

bower
Reactions:

Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:08 pm

We can't do peppers in ground very easily here so I've experimented with containers, indoors and out. I do think they started to set quicker in a smaller container. I try to use as deep as possible for them, but they will produce earlier if the pot is smaller around. I use bone meal as ferts when potting up, which might make a difference too. They needed some magnesium and fish ferts once they started to ripen their first set, probably due to the small container.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:30 am

That's a pretty indoor pepper. I tried overwintering one a few years ago and it did just fine. It got a pruning before bringing it in and then another when it got set back out in the spring. Boy, did it grow back out fast then! Yours should do fine. :)

Return to “Grow Logs(Glogs) And Video Logs(Vlogs)”