Late Season Burnout

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
Donnyboy
Reactions:

Re: Late Season Burnout

Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:01 pm

Danny wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:04 pm Next week or so, have some garlic and onions to put out, now that it under a hundred during the day times for the most part. This years heat has been more wearing on me than anything else, plus trying to can up quite a bit of beef. That price is going to just be awful later and I tell myself that, but running a pressure canner was tiring in the heat. More than ugly plants and the work, is just the toll heat takes on us.
Danny, which part of the country are you in? I'm in North Texas in area 7b. I plant garlic in early fall, but I can't plant onions until mid to late January. If I plant any earlier, I risk exposing the new onion plants to multiple freezes resulting in many good sized onions bolting early.

Danny
Reactions:

Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:46 am

Wichita Falls. I am planting onion seeds in a barrel, which I plan to wrap up when it gets too cold here in zone 8. Where are you?

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:47 am

I hear ya about the canning...9/15 was my batch 2219 - that is, the 19th canner load of 2022. And there will be a lot more yet. I should pick tomatoes again today. The gardens, in general, have been fine and more or less on autopilot. We had some rain the last month.

I'd be much better off with a cold storage spot for some of the vegetables rather than have to can or freeze or pickle most everything that gets saved.

karstopography
Reactions:

Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:05 am

Burnout has been replaced by soreness here. Over the last two or three weeks, I’ve done about every task a person can do in a garden including but not limited to removing worn out plants, adding compost and other amendments, forking the soil, and planting in the beds dozens of sets and thousands of seeds.

It’s been great! Getting a fall/winter garden up and running is a sure cure for late summer season burnout.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:51 am

karstopography wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:05 am Burnout has been replaced by soreness here. Over the last two or three weeks, I’ve done about every task a person can do in a garden including but not limited to removing worn out plants, adding compost and other amendments, forking the soil, and planting in the beds dozens of sets and thousands of seeds.

It’s been great! Getting a fall/winter garden up and running is a sure cure for late summer season burnout.
Go fishing.

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:30 am

Tormato wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:51 am
karstopography wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:05 am Burnout has been replaced by soreness here. Over the last two or three weeks, I’ve done about every task a person can do in a garden including but not limited to removing worn out plants, adding compost and other amendments, forking the soil, and planting in the beds dozens of sets and thousands of seeds.

Go fishing.
I’m trying to get the side dishes squared away first, then I’ll work on the main course. November is my favorite month of the year to fish so if I don’t go during that time then something is very wrong.

Speaking of sides, kale, lettuce, bok choi, arugula, all sprouting this morning out in the beds. The Rolande filet beans are growing so fast I have to pick twice a day. Planted the bean seeds September 1st and I’ve been picking for better than a week. So they have come in faster than most of the stated DTM.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Return to “General Discussion”