golden california wonder??????

rxkeith
Reactions:

golden california wonder??????

Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:27 pm

way back in february, i came across some old packs of pepper seeds, eight years old.
long winter and all i needed something to do besides move snow, and fire wood, so i
did the wet paper towel method in a baggie near the wood stove, and one seed out of
three packs of seeds sprouted. it eventually grew, and i put the plant in a bucket in the back of
my truck to ensure i would get a mature pepper. when i planted it, it already had a pepper on it.
i left it on. i wasn't concerned with getting lots of peppers. i just wanted one pepper to see what it
was. the pepper stayed small like a mini bell pepper. it eventually ripened to a golden yellow. i knew
then it wasn't a sweet chocolate or a purple beauty pepper. i cut it in half, and no seeds inside????
so, i let the plant go, and it eventually grew more peppers that took forever to ripen. i picked several
greenies before frost came. they also ripened to yellow. i just seeded the peppers, and i have a total of
eighteen seeds total from maybe eight little bell peppers.
my climate here is not yellow pepper friendly. i have about given up on growing them. i just run out of summer
about a month early to get a good yellow pepper.
i thought golden cal. wonder was going to be a large bell pepper like california wonder that ripened to yellow
instead of red. i got these little mini bells instead. what gives? the packet said golden cal wonder, not mini
golden cal wonder.

keith

Whwoz
Reactions:

Re: golden california wonder??????

Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:12 pm

@rxkeith , the small size is probably obably to do with the limited pollination that has occurred. I find size can vary with amount of pollination in some varieties of pepper, the less seed the smaller the fruit.

Shule
Reactions:

Re: golden california wonder??????

Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:21 pm

You probably have a cross there. It should be yellow, and big. I had a similar experience with Big Red, this year.

When I grew Golden California Wonder, the fruits were pretty big (like 5"x4"), and it was prolific. Granted, my fruits were orange instead of yellow (but they were orange on the packet, too, and that's actually why I bought them—since I wanted Orange California Wonder, but Golden California Wonder was easier to find; the other packets had yellow fruit on the picture; I figured this was a special strain).

Yellow peppers seem to like our garden (more so than red). What we've had a hard time with is anthocyanin/blue peppers. They're the hardest to grow, usually (not always).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Return to “Sweet Peppers”