Homemade pasta experiment

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
svalli
Reactions:

Homemade pasta experiment

Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:00 pm

I was thinking what to do with all the dehydrated kale in the pantry. Tomorrow is office day and we need something to heat in the microwave for lunch. I decided to make fettuccine with cheese sauce and minced smoked moose meat. Instead of mixing the kale to the sauce, I made the pasta myself and mixed ground dried purple kale into it, hoping the pasta would be purple.

Well, it did not have purple colour, but gray when uncooked.
PSX_20221122_221448.jpg

When I cooked it, the water turned dark blue and pasta turned green color.
PSX_20221122_221539.jpg
This pasta has just a hint of the kale taste, but I think that it should be healthier than plain with wheat flour and eggs.

I put a small piece of the uncooked pasta in vinegar and it got pink. Next time I may try this with an acidic sauce or I just make the pasta with green kale.

I am now planning also to try color homemade pasta with beets or carrots. Stay tuned for future experiments. :)

Sari
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and dream."
- Moomin-troll by Tove Jansson

DriftlessRoots
Reactions:

Re: Homemade pasta experiment

Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:50 pm

That looks great! I love making my own pasta. I did a batch with beet purée recently and a have done poblano chilis and other fun stuff like spinach in the past. I tried to grow butterfly pea this year so I could use the blue flowers for pasta and other food but the darned things never germinated.
A nature, gardening and food enthusiast externalizing the inner monologue.🍅

Danny
Reactions:

Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:31 pm

Making your own pastas is fun mostly. You can also use vegetable powders to color and flavor the pastas, such as tomato or beet powder, or spinach powder. I have a mushroom powder that is not really colorful but adds a very good taste and pairs well with a cream type sauce,

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:28 pm

I made some that was red white and green one time.
A lot of time making the ribbons with different colored stripes.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:02 pm

Went to a pasta making class/demonstration a few years ago and made pasta with whole herbs and edible flowers between two sheets of pasta, which we then put through the pasta roller again. It kind of laminated the herbs and flowers in the sheet of pasta and was really pretty.

DriftlessRoots
Reactions:

Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:22 am

Danny wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:31 pm Making your own pastas is fun mostly. You can also use vegetable powders to color and flavor the pastas, such as tomato or beet powder, or spinach powder. I have a mushroom powder that is not really colorful but adds a very good taste and pairs well with a cream type sauce,
Yes, powder is the way I went with my beet pasta so the color was more concentrated. I totally forgot I've been using butternut squash powder, too. I've experimented a bit with putting them in tortillas, too. What kind of mushrooms did you powder? I've got some dried wood ears that might work or else just turn out gray.
A nature, gardening and food enthusiast externalizing the inner monologue.🍅

Danny
Reactions:

Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:00 pm

I buy Porcini mushroom powder for the pasta as well as use it in other things.

Return to “What's Cooking.”