Culinary Conversations

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re: Culinary Conversations

Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:02 am

The anise flavor is one I love, too. Many things I use with that flavor, a favorite one being Thai Basil.
Woodbury, NJ zone 6B-7

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:16 pm

I can take the star anise soak it in sweet sherry to soften it and chew on it while drinking the sherry.
Weird yes but tasty as well.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Liverpool.

There are no dead end jobs, only dead end people.

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:11 pm

Did you know Frito pie is basically an Americanised TexMex version of chilaquiles.
It's true and remember you heard it here first.
Worth

DriftlessRoots
Reactions:

Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:06 am

worth1 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:55 am Watching YouTube videos on how to use the fennel bulb.
I always get excited when cooking new things.
One of my absolute favorite salads is fennel bulb, celery and apple with an apple cider vinaigrette. Delicious on a hot summer day.
A nature, gardening and food enthusiast externalizing the inner monologue.🍅

karstopography
Reactions:

Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:55 am

worth1 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:11 pm Did you know Frito pie is basically an Americanised TexMex version of chilaquiles.
It's true and remember you heard it here first.
We had frito pie last night. My wife was adamant that I not use the HEB knockoff fritos we had in the pantry as she described them as “tasteless”. By golly, I tasted one and she was right (aren’t they always). HEB brand frito clones are missing that essential flavor of true fritos.

Luckily, I had a bag of Clancy’s (Aldi) knockoff fritos and those got the thumbs up from her for frito pie.

I haven’t made chilaquiles (that I remember) and have only ordered it a few times. I can certainly see the similarities to frito pie.

Corn chips and corn tortillas seem to be variable in their flavor. It’s more than how toasted the corn is I believe or the salt level. There’s brands of corn chips I avoid and ones that are acceptable. Corn tortillas and chips can be heavenly when everything is right.

I used for the chili that terlingua brand chili con carne box made in Boerne. It’s basically a box with recipes instructions and a big bag of chili powder and spices. I really like their blend of ground chili peppers and spices. The biggest flaw I see in the terlingua spice blend is it is a little too salt forward.

I need to come up with a tasty blend of ground dry chili peppers and spices for chili con carne. Goal is to grow some of the peppers for the blend this season and dry them, then grind them up.

I like making my own barbecue rubs rather than always defaulting to the premix ones and I ought to be able to come up with a good blend of peppers and spices for chili con carne rather than rely on the premix ones.
Zone 9a/b, right on the line, in the heart of the Columbia bottomlands. Heat zone 9, Sunset Zone 28, annual rainfall 52”

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:52 am

I've yet to show all the different dried chilies and chili powders and other spices I have.
It boggles the mind.
I really need to make a separate station for them because the things are scattered in every spot I can find room for them.
The curry powder is kept in the freezer.
As far as chili con carne I don't have a set recipe.

As far as spice blends.
If a person on YouTube starts promoting their rub and spice blends in every recipe Im basically punching out and won't bother with them anymore.
No problem with them making money but I'm not interested in paying astronomical prices for a seasoning blend.
Worth

Return to “What's Cooking.”