Insanely Cool Radicchio and Chicory

PlainJane
Reactions:

Re: Insanely Cool Radicchio and Chicory

Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:28 am

@Sue_CT, if you want to soften the blow I can trade you some stuff for some of the Rosa Mantovano.
Can you grow it in a container on a deck or outside porch?
Lol, am very familiar with all the drama that comes with gardening in New England. Down here I have heat and humidity but no chipmunks, rabbits, deer, turkeys, coyotes or ground hogs. Even the few scrawny squirrels are not a problem as we have an outdoor cat.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:30 am

That is a thought, I do have a couple of small window boxes on the shed in back. No deck but I do have a small patio with a few pots that I might be able to fashion a cage to put over. There are supposed to be 30 seeds per pack, so I won't have a huge number but I could part with a few. :)

PlainJane
Reactions:

Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:09 am

Sue_CT wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:30 am That is a thought, I do have a couple of small window boxes on the shed in back. No deck but I do have a small patio with a few pots that I might be able to fashion a cage to put over. There are supposed to be 30 seeds per pack, so I won't have a huge number but I could part with a few. :)
Sure, just let me know if you want to potentially swap something. Have an assortment of herbs, veggies and flowers.
- Robert A. Heinlein

karstopography
Reactions:

Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:49 am

I direct seeded some RADICHETTA CHICORY yesterday. Hopefully, with the coolish, below long term averages weather for a few days the seeds will germinate as these lettuces or chicories don’t germinate well when things are warm.

Radichetta doesn’t necessarily look cool, but maybe it will taste cool.

https://www.superseeds.com/products/rad ... s-heirloom
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

karstopography
Reactions:

Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:12 pm

Planted Castelfranco Radicchio, Tres Fines endive, frisée endive, perseo radicchio, Palla Rossa Mavrik Radicchio today, plus Bloomsdale LS, Giant Noble and Steadfast Spinach.

Hoping for some tasty and colorful salad greens this winter.

PlainJane
Reactions:

Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:51 pm

I put out a first wave of chicory, radicchio and frisée about 3 weeks ago, and wouldn’t you know it - temps in the 80s nearly every day. At least the nights have been in the 50s and 60s. Think I’ll start some more this weekend.
- Robert A. Heinlein

karstopography
Reactions:

Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:31 pm

@PlainJane The Radichetta chicory planted October 15th very barely germinated, maybe 2 seeds sprouted. User error, averse weather, who knows, but that’s why I order more seeds than I might otherwise need. I seeded some different chicory in that open space today.

Mostly, i put a few seeds in the spacing I ultimately want the plant to be thinned to. Or if it is a 8” spacing, I might put a few seeds every 4”.

If some unwanted gaps in the bed ultimately happen, attrition to pests or whatever, I carefully scoop up some surplus seedlings and redistribute them, plant them, in the open gaps. I did that today with the lettuce I direct seeded in October. The lettuce planted in October did germinate reasonably well, but something has been munching on that so I filled in some gaps with extra seedlings clustered too close together.

The weather has to be favorable for this type of transplanting success, cloudy, moist and cool is best.

I hate having seedlings going inside under a grow light except for one time a year when it is time to get the tomatoes going.

Lettuce and radicchio seems to thrive and favor the weather we get from mid November on through the early spring. There’s always a significant amount of attrition and failed germination with these early in the season efforts.

These salad greens aren’t always a plant it once and everything will be good. They take some continuing efforts at reseeding and redistribution.

Good thing most packets of salad greens have a lot of seeds.

My week of serving on a jury during the First Week of November set me back a week in the garden. Getting a bunch of seeds planted in the garden today was a big high.

Return to “Salad Greens/Lettuces and Micro Greens”