Sheepnose pimento.

Discussion and tips for growing all types of peppers
TomHillbilly
Reactions:

Sheepnose pimento.

Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:46 pm

20201107_104020.jpg
The big surprise in my 2020 crop of peppers this year ?
I generally grow about 80 to 100 pepper plants. Half will be old favorites from seeds I collected. The rest is experimental peppers. Experimental are grown in groups of 3 to each variety. I had passed on the red sheepnose pimento variety several times. Often referred to as a cheese type of Ohio heirloom pepper. These peppers aren't big enough to meet my standards concerning stuffing. And I already got all the canning types of peppers I need. So why grow them ?? That was a mistake I've made for years. I grew just 3 of these sheepnose pimento pepper plants, wondering what I would do with them? I grew them beside 3 experimental Shishito pepper plants. Everyone claimed the Shishito was the greatest thing among stir fry chiefs. By pure accident I ended up stir frying with these sheepnose peppers, after they had turned red. I had read no articles about pimento peppers being great for stir frying. IN SHORT--These sheepnose peppers are the best stir frying pepper I've ever grown. As for the Shishito-- I had hoards of production from the plants. I only ate them one time. That was enough for me. I never gave one single sheepnose pepper away. Once a week I was stir-frying chicken breasts and sliced pork sirloins. The pepper plants only get a couple feet high. They bear kinda heavy early, and very heavy late. Production was slow during my 2 hot months of 90 degree temperatures in zone 7. The red peppers have a 2 week crisp table life. I only get 5 days out of the average bell. Sheep nose is excellent to season with. I don't do cheese--nor do I can sweet peppers. Santa Fe Grande takes care of my canning needs. If you let the size and shape of this pimento hold you back from growing them, then you are missing out. PS-- My old heart shaped pimento peppers will get benched next year. I've found their replacement. 
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TomHillbilly on Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Re: Sheepnose pimento.

Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:45 pm

Just looked them up, they sure look good :-)
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

Return to “The Pepper Patch”