How's your weather?

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
Setec Astronomy
Reactions:

Re: How's your weather?

Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:33 am

pepperhead212 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:27 pm It's supposed to be cold here for one more night, and I am in a large area that is under a freeze warning, yet there is no frost that is supposed to be in the area, due to the wind we have been getting!
Further north here in NJ I don't see anything close to freezing in the 2-week forecast, so I guess it's full speed ahead in getting stuff planted out, for me, anyway.

bower
Reactions:

Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:05 am

We have a frost free forecast in the 7 day, but anybody knows there will be frosty nights yet. Normal lows are just at the freezing mark for this time of year.
I saw a news article last week reporting "twenty icebergs" off our coasts. Twenty is really not many by local standards, (hundreds normal) but they don't expect us to see many more this year - second year in a row. That's because sea ice is well below normal, so bergs are expected to melt before they reach this latitude.
In a normal year, the NE flow that we've been stuck in for a week already, would be pushing the pack ice onshore. The wind off the ice is, well, icy. no surprise. ;) But instead it's actually been quite pleasant, with a few glimmers (or even a few hours) of sunshine amongst the drizzle and fog. At least here inland, it's probably been close to 10C/50 F at times.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:10 am

@Setec Astronomy; " I don't see anything close to freezing in the 2-week forecast, so I guess it's full speed ahead in getting stuff planted out, for me, anyway."

¡Con mucho cuidado!

Said the same thing last year ~ May 13th, only to be left scrambling to cover ~ 20 tomato plants and lose ~ $200 (U.S.) worth of Sun Coleus two (2) weeks later in a late Mother's Day weekend freeze.

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

DriftlessRoots
Reactions:

Sun May 01, 2022 1:02 pm

Growing Degree Days May 1.jpg
My feeling that we are waaaaay behind in the gardening season is borne out by the data. This is the growing degree days graph as of today. The upper line is the 30 year average. The lower line is this year. We're only halfway where we should be. Phooey. :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A nature, gardening and food enthusiast externalizing the inner monologue.🍅

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Sun May 01, 2022 2:13 pm

@DriftlessRoots, we feel yer pain in the 77 Square Miles Surrounded By A Sea Of Reality!

By this time the Hyacinths, % Daffodils/Jonquils/Narcissus are long over, and the Tulips right on their tails. Now, Hyacinths are in full bloom, half the Daffodils/Jonquils/Narcissus haven't opened, and none of the Tulips are open.

Peonys usually have at least buds formed with some ready to flower, same with the Bleeding Hearts; they are even a foot/.3 meters tall.

Glass half full?

We're in moisture surplus for the 1st time in ~ 15 months!

I have a brother in Marietta TWSP/Crawford County on the east bank of the Mighty Kickapoo; you's near there?

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

DriftlessRoots
Reactions:

Sun May 01, 2022 6:38 pm

@Cornelius_Gotchberg Nope, Middleton but I garden at Eagle Heights so glad I don't have to haul water jugs 5 miles until the water system gets turned on there. Glass half full but patience isn't one of my virtues. :D
A nature, gardening and food enthusiast externalizing the inner monologue.🍅

rxkeith
Reactions:

Sun May 01, 2022 10:37 pm

we are ever so slowly starting to get some warmer weather, still only mid 40s, but warm enough to get some snow melt
along with several days of rain that has aided the process. low temps are only just starting to stay above
freezing, but not consistently. i saw worms on the driveway for the first time this year. my chickens were really happy
about that. it is pretty amazing to see the quick turn around from having say a foot of snow to bare ground in just a matter
of a few days. heavy fog this morning made the drive in to work a bit tense. turning on to the highway i prayed people would have
their lights on while driving otherwise i wasn't going to see them.

at work they have just managed to get the green house up. truck loads of plants will be coming this week leading up to mothers day.
every year, it is the same thing. you need to get the green house up, and the weather refuses to cooperate. it is either raining or snowing
often times both in the same day. temps are frigid, and if it is wet, you are just miserable. it has been very windy over many days causing
a delay in getting the green house cover on and secured. its just something you can't do on a windy day. you will wear yourself out.
every single year.

keith

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Mon May 02, 2022 8:29 am

@DriftlessRoots; LUV driving past that that Eagle Heights patch, you's get primo sun all the live-ling day there, am I right?

It's a municipal treasure tilled by generational gardeners!

The Gotch

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu May 05, 2022 6:18 pm

Light frost here this morning. Overnight temperature forecast kept changing and must have changed late last night. Peppers not yet covered, most frames up and will shortly finish that. Kang Kong not happy, hopefully seed pods are still good

worth1
Reactions:

Thu May 05, 2022 6:54 pm

I'll be going to bed with thunderstorms.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri May 06, 2022 6:15 pm

It was drizzling all day - only .15" up to 3 pm or so, then it started raining harder - up to .75" by 5 pm, and still coming down fairly hard, though we're not in the yellow zone any longer. It's only 57° now, which is about 15° below average, but tomorrow is supposed to be even cooler. By mid-afternoon Sunday, we are supposed to be up to 1½-3" of rain.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

slugworth
Reactions:

Sat May 07, 2022 11:09 am

50 °F Now
Feels Like 38.9 °F
torture test for the Moskvich outdoors in cement blocks
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

Torquill
Reactions:

Sat May 07, 2022 12:29 pm

Cold rain all week, with some "icy mix" a couple of days. Cold drizzle isn't really uncommon for May in the upper-upper-Willamette, but in average years we're coming out of a sunny, warm April that warms up the soil and gives the early transplants a good boost. This year we got icy mix for the first half, then 18" of heavy wet snow in mid-April, which was a mixed blessing: it mashed everything flat and pulled down a bunch of branches and trees, but it was also insulation against the week of howling freezing cold. Meh.

We're at about half the degree days we should be too -- I don't have the numbers, but I'm using a garden planning calendar (Heifer USA has one in beta) which says I should be harvesting peas in a month, and they only emerged a few days ago. Same with the lettuce, I got the first round of romaine in before the late snow, and it's only 4" tall, but the calendar says I should be harvesting heads now. The garlic looks great, and the brassicas are happy, just small. I need to buy another probe thermometer so that I can make sure I don't plant my peppers too early, as I can't rely on the schedule.

Going stir crazy spending so much time indoors, but cold drizzle is just miserable to work in.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat May 07, 2022 12:39 pm

Again, rain all day today, and flood warnings everywhere. "Only" .82" yesterday (seemed like more), and just now, around 1:30 pm, .85" since midnight, and .1" in just 15 minutes or so earlier - fastest I've seen it coming down, so far. I thought it was funny what I just heard the weatherman say - that we may be able to see a little sun, by the end of Mother's Day, emphasizing the word "may"! On top of this, highs in the low 50s - about 20° below average.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

rxkeith
Reactions:

Sat May 07, 2022 3:48 pm

looking good here. full on spring has arrived at least for a week or so.
temps have been in the high 50s to mid 60s, and SUNNY!!!! the snow piles
are shrinking fast now, and will be completely gone soon. i heard spring peepers
for the first time this week.
i brought four flats of tomatoes, and a few peppers outside on the north side of the house.
thats the shady side. no choice really. the plants are bonking their heads on the lights on the
plant stand. the lights are as high as they can go. i will be bringing them in at night due to low
temps in the 30s still. they will be ok on the unheated porch for now. you can still expect some
frigid weather between now, and june, this is the keweenaw, but we are over the hump i think.
whew.

keith

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Sat May 07, 2022 5:41 pm

@rxkeith; FWIW, the 05/05/2022 issue of the Iron County Miner (Published Weekly/Read Daily!) reported another ~ 3 inches/7.62cms of snow twixt 04/26 and 05/03, measured in Hurley, WI (Where Hwy 51 Ends And The Fun Begins!), bringing their seasonal total to 197.8 inches/50.24 meters.

Anywho, ain't this early for you's hardening off? Sheesh! I just took Tomato/Pepper/Cuke/Squarsh starts up to the back porch yesterday.

Glass half full?

Planted seven (7) planters with eleven (11) Sun Coleus yesterday.

Like you's say "over the hump"...down this way we say "turned the corner."

The Gotch

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Sat May 07, 2022 6:56 pm

OK, next week they are saying Tues and Weds will be in the 70s, upper 80s by Thurs and Fri., and then 70s again the entire following week, when I am on vacation. If I start hardening off plants next Tues and Weds (the 12th and 13th) for say an hour in the shade when I get home from work in the afternoon, and continue Thurs and Fri (when I am off) and assuming I can find enough shade since it is going to be hot, I would like to get them in the ground the Monday the 16th. It is supposed to be 70s cloudy and probable rain the following 2 days, the 17th and 18th. The problem in this area is always having appropriate weather for hardening off the plants which delays planting out by a week or two once planting weather arrives. We go from temps in the 50s and 60s during the day and 30s-40s at night right into 70s and 80s in a few days. No frost in the weather forecast or anything below 49-50 lows at night after this Monday.

All of this to ask, would you plant out as soon they are pretty safe to do so or do you wait for a minimum soil temperature regardless of what the weather is doing? I have never really used soil temps before but I have not tried planting out this early because the weather never seems to cooperate, and this seems like a great opportunity to get them in the ground a week or two early. But is it counter productive if soil temps are too low?

Last question, what minimum soil temp is required at what depth. The solo cups and roots are only about 6" deep, so is that as far as you go down in determining if it is ok to plant?

Torquill
Reactions:

Sat May 07, 2022 7:14 pm

My two cents:

When I'm on the fence about whether it's still too cold to plant, I use soil temp as the deciding factor. Tomatoes need soil at least 55F/13C, peppers and eggplants need it to be at least 65F/18C; while tomatoes will manage at temperatures down to 45 or so without long-term issues (they turn purple, but that reverses pretty quickly), I know from experience that putting peppers into cold soil will stunt them for weeks or months. I always used to wonder what I was doing wrong, because my soil was fertile, I had plenty of sun, and the watering was all right, but my peppers barely grew. I was planting them out when I did the tomatoes, which was (of course) as early as possible. Once I started checking the soil temp and waiting a few weeks for peppers and eggplant, I had much better results.

I use a kitchen probe thermometer and stick it in about 4-6", that's the area that really matters.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat May 07, 2022 7:34 pm

Sue_CT wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:56 pm OK, next week they are saying Tues and Weds will be in the 70s, upper 80s by Thurs and Fri., and then 70s again the entire following week, when I am on vacation. If I start hardening off plants next Tues and Weds (the 12th and 13th) for say an hour in the shade when I get home from work in the afternoon, and continue Thurs and Fri (when I am off) and assuming I can find enough shade since it is going to be hot, I would like to get them in the ground the Monday the 16th. It is supposed to be 70s cloudy and probable rain the following 2 days, the 17th and 18th. The problem in this area is always having appropriate weather for hardening off the plants which delays planting out by a week or two once planting weather arrives. We go from temps in the 50s and 60s during the day and 30s-40s at night right into 70s and 80s in a few days. No frost in the weather forecast or anything below 49-50 lows at night after this Monday.

All of this to ask, would you plant out as soon they are pretty safe to do so or do you wait for a minimum soil temperature regardless of what the weather is doing? I have never really used soil temps before but I have not tried planting out this early because the weather never seems to cooperate, and this seems like a great opportunity to get them in the ground a week or two early. But is it counter productive if soil temps are too low?

Last question, what minimum soil temp is required at what depth. The solo cups and roots are only about 6" deep, so is that as far as you go down in determining if it is ok to plant?
Dig your holes a day (or more) before transplanting. And spread that dug soil out. If planting in the afternoon, that pre-dug soil will be much warmer than any newly dug soil.

bower
Reactions:

Sat May 07, 2022 8:54 pm

Saw some snow falling yesterday after many hours of trotting horse rain, and today a few flakes as well (just a few).
Planted a couple of patches of Salish Blue perennial wheat this week, in between the drizzle and fog. Row cover on all my spring grains, but I can see the ones I planted in mid April are up. Still too cold to plant peas. Cold tolerance in peas is linked to late flowering, if you activate that by planting too early, your peas will be later than ever, we sadly learned. If temperatures were normal, it would be time to plant em, but still dragging below norms.
However, I see five days of sunshine in a row in my forecast, and three of those days in double digits, 15 to 18 C where the normal high is 10 C/50 F for this time of year. Great days for my tomatoes to settle in to their greenhouse containers, before we plummet again. Or perhaps we will turn the hump?
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Return to “General Discussion”