The Garden of Woz...

Whwoz
Reactions:

Re: The Garden of Woz...

Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:20 am

SSR 3

Tuber planted vertically, Heart shaped Green leaves, purple skin and purple mottled flesh. Forming small tubers.
ssr3.1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:21 am

SSR4

Heart shaped Green leaves, Purple skin and Purple mottled flesh. Forming small tubers.
ssr4.1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:22 am

SSR 5

Planted vertically, Green Heart shaped leaves, Purple skin and purple (non-mottled) flesh.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:23 am

SSR 6

Planted vertically, Green heart shaped leaves. Purple skin and purple mottled flesh. Forming one long thin tuber.
ssr6.1.jpg
ssr6.2.jpg

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:25 am

SSR 7,

Planted vertically, Green palmate leaves. Pale Pinkish (?) skin with white to cream flesh, vigorous shooter. Probably most of interest to me as purple flesh does not always go down well with rest of family.
ssr7.1.jpg
ssr7.2.jpg
ssr7.3.jpg

bower
Reactions:

Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:53 am

Glad to hear that you had good results with the peas. That's really very good for old seed. :)

What happens with the sweet potatoes now? Do you replant the small tubers and then coax them to flower and make seeds?
I have never grown them so IDK if the amount of rots on the tubers are normal, or a defect that can be overcome by breeding.
Either way, I do wish you lots of success with that.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:29 am

@Bower must agree very happy with peas.

Re: sweet potatoes, those tubers pictured above were seed tubers sent to me from South East Queensland in part of the area hit by bad floods this year, with a creaking clay soil. Unfortunately they were sent around the time I should have been digging them up for harvest and storage, meaning that I will need to keep them growing as vines over winter before planting fresh growth in spring. Aims are two fold, to grow a stock of roots for eating and to get seed from them so that I can have a broader genetic base than what is currently available here. Looking to develop a race that is more adapted to the local environment than what is currently available.

With the heritage behind these clones, it should be possible to have plants that produce all of their roots in a cluster under a relatively small plant that covers 1 to 2 m across rather than 4-5 m across and have said plant flower and set seed. We have a very limited selection here to buy as roots, and even more so to grow so any variation in roots colour and flavour is appreciated. The combinations above are not commercially available here, slips for purple skin/flesh clones can be obtained from private sellers through eBay and like, but growers have not been prepared to send with postage delays due to Covid.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:24 am

Got stuck into cleaning up the strawberry bed on Friday, ripping out a lot of Kikiyu and cooch that had gotten established in there. Went down over 16 inches deep and probably should have gone deeper (bed is 2 foot high raised bed) but time was limiting. Still managed to get 43 Hokowasa strawberries back in from runners/divisions with more of the bed to be cleaned up and planted out with them. Figure if kids hit them as hard as they have done previously 80 plants :o :lol: may not be enough if I want some for jam as well as eating. Just as well there is plenty of room.

Wont be long and I will have to get serious about selecting which pepper and tomato varieties to grow, going to be a bit more complicated this year as we will be away for two weeks while they are in pots.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:22 am

Got some more of the strawberry patch cleaned up today with roughly 70 plants now in the ground. That will be it for this year. Never got around to lifting all of the potatoes which were in the pea mulch next to the strawberry patch and they are starting to shoot, so will just be cleaning out the Kikuyu and covering with sandy loam. Have redone the lid of the little greenhouse I use to germinate seed, so will start showing soon, peppers first this year. Tomatoes timing could get a bit interesting as we will be away for a couple of weeks late September but have got a waterer lined up so should be good. Waterer is one of those that I pass plants onto so he has an interest in keeping them happy for me.

Pepper plants that I have over wintered are a mixed lot this year, will probably rip them all out and restart from scratch.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:59 pm

Seed sowing season has arrived at the garden of Woz. On the 29/7/22 the following went in and were placed on heat.

Peppers/Capsicums/Chillis, call them what you will.

Unknown, old seed possible Jimmy Nardello's
Black Panther, did not realise how hot these get at 1.1 million Scoville units, may just throw them, they certainly wont get eaten at home.
Kraken, seed from an unstable cross, another at 1 million Scoville that may just get thrown if they come up.
These two were seed sent to me from a contact in South Australia
Rest of the seed of these two will be thrown, no point keeping something that we will not eat, unless if someone asks for them.

AJI Lemon
Yellow 420 gram, seed from a yellow bell of that weight from 2016
Leutschauer Paprika
Santa Fe Grande
Pepperdew
Marconi Gold
Hungarian White (ex commercial fruit)
Orange Bell (ex commercial fruit)
Chillie Pie
Marconi Rosso
Purple Beauty
Chocolate Beauty
Elephant Ear
Pepperonici
Pepperonici Yellow/Orange
Flavour Burst F2
Palermo's ex commercial fruit, a group of 4 Bulls Horn Style peppers that are sweeter than bells available here Down Under, available in a red, yellow, orange and chocolate, from commercial fruit.

Greens

Lettuce
Cimmaron
Great Lakes
Black Seeded
Australian Yellow Leaf

All starting to germinate by 2/8/22

Leaf Mustards

Yakina
Florida Broadleaf ( starting to germinate by 2/8/22)

and on the 31/7

Lettuce Freckles
Flat leaf Parsley
Bok Choi Pechay
Komatsuna

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:20 am

It's a never-ending cycle, isn't it? :)

Here you are getting early spring stuff sown and I'm about to start fall brassicas, etc. I love it!

Whwoz
Reactions:

Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:11 pm

Yes @GoDawgs a never ending cycle it is. Always something to look forward to in it as well. Now where are my tomato seeds

Whwoz
Reactions:

Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:07 am

The lettuce are coming up well, and the first of the peppers are up. A couple of the Sweet Palermo's showing first.
IMG_20220805_153008_249.jpg
IMG_20220805_153000_320.jpg
The peppers all received a dose of Calcium Nitrate at sowing, don't know if this helped with germination.

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:52 am

Seed starting is such an enjoyable time of the year. I really enjoy watching to see what seeds have sprouted.
~ Patti ~

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:41 pm

Love dem babies!

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:40 pm

The potting up has started here, with over 100 lettuce and mustard greens potted up into 2 inch tubes yesterday. 6 Black seeded Simpson lettuce, cannot remember how many Cimmaron, Great Lakes, Australian Yellow Leaf (17 i think) and 0 freckles. Greens wise, 23 Florida Broadleaf, 9 (?) Komatsuna, 2 Bok Choy Pechay potted up. Still to pot up some Yakina and Flat leaf Parsley. More peppers coming up also, will start potting them up soon so that I can get the tomatoes on the heat pad.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:31 am

Potted up 93 bell peppers/ chilli of a mix of varieties today, some have not shot, so back on the heat pad with them.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:29 am

Whwoz wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:40 pm The potting up has started here, with over 100 lettuce and mustard greens potted up into 2 inch tubes yesterday. 6 Black seeded Simpson lettuce, cannot remember how many Cimmaron, Great Lakes, Australian Yellow Leaf (17 i think) and 0 freckles. Greens wise, 23 Florida Broadleaf, 9 (?) Komatsuna, 2 Bok Choy Pechay potted up. Still to pot up some Yakina and Flat leaf Parsley. More peppers coming up also, will start potting them up soon so that I can get the tomatoes on the heat pad.
Sounds like you're gonna have salad up the wazoo!. :D

Whwoz
Reactions:

Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:06 pm

And I forgot to mention that I potted up the Yakina and Flat Leaf Parsley, which makes a more flavourful celery than celery IMO. 8 or so of each.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:11 am

The tomato seed planting Day has arrived at the Garden of Woz. Ground to wet to work, wind to bleeping cold to be standing outside doing something even though the sun was out, and as for when the sun was covered by cloud....lets not go there, so into the shed, grabbed the tomato seed containers and got to work sowing them. BIG problem, too many interesting/must grow again varieties for the 77 cells, especially as Costuloto genovese 'Brokenbar" was getting 2 cells. Hummmm, lets see She wants those ones, the youngsters want those, I want to grow them, that sounds interesting, hold on I'm out of room and there is still more to go!! Luckily these is still a bit of room on the heat pad and some 10 cell punnets floating about.

The List as it stands at the moment, definitely more to come.

(Not) Chocolate Stripes (PL)
100 R
42 Days
Alice's Dream
Artic Rose
Banana Legs
Barosa Moon #5941
Bendigo Blush #5944
Bendigo Moon #5950
Big Green
Black Sea Man
Blood Moon
Bloody Butcher
Blueberries
Bogatyr Masalov
Bowerbirds Orange
Bowerbirds Yellow
Burgundy F4
Captain Lucky
Chang Li Cherry
Chocolate Lime Stripes
Costuloto Genovese "BrokenBar"
Costulto Fiorentino
Dana's Dusky Rose Cross F2?3
Dark Orange Muscat Cherry
Dr Wyches Yellow
Duncans Dutch Pear
Elbonian Hip Deep
Elbonian Mudball Nth Pink F5
Elbonian Mudball Sth Dark F5
Elbonian Mudslinger
EM Champion
Everglades
Franklin County
Garrote Bicolor Aracenes 859gram
Golden Heart
Japanese Onion
John's Giant
Lime Green Salad
Lithium Sunset
Malakhitovaya Shkatulka
Marong Moon # 5954
Midnight Sun
Mini Kumato, F5 Pear
Moravsky Div
Moya Jaune
MSITKWTK '19
Orange Cherry Pear
Orange, You glad
Pilari
Plum Lemon
Polaris
Post Office Spoonful
Pruden's Purple
Red Mini Roma
Red Pear Granissimo
Rita's Black Pear
Rumpelstiltskin
Shannon's
Sherkhan
Sirja's Love (Red Variant)
Summertime Green
Swoon
Thai Pink Egg
The Thong
Umberto 2020
USDA 97L97
Variegated Tomato
Vincent's White
Volvo's Apple Cherry
Volvo's Daughter No. 1 F3
Willa's Caribou Rose
Yellow Cherry/Current
Yellow Pear
Zapotec Pleated Yellow
Zena's Gift

@Tormato, I intend to keep those two Elbonian Mudball lines going, would you like me to retag them to Elbonian something else or should I drop the Elbonian as well? I would like to keep Elbonian in there as an acknowledgement of heritage.

Return to “Grow Logs(Glogs) And Video Logs(Vlogs)”