Mostly Mystery 'Mater Mailing Master List tomatoes

This is a yearly group seed swap event hosted by Tormato.

Moderator: Tormato

TheMad_Poet
Reactions:

Re: Master List tomatoes

Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:19 am

Oh, how I love the tomato world, getting a good chuckle out of this. Reading these last posts, and too many's response. I swear I thought I was reading a post by Carolyn Male (RIP). Take that as a high compliment Karen O. Looking forward to growing some of your varieties.

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:35 am

A lull in the mailbox for a day. So, I'll likely start updating tomato categories today.

But, first, I'm going to list varieties that I'm unsure about categorizing. Any input from T'junction members is welcome. The most important info would be expected plant height, going by indeterminate, determinate, dwarf, micro, etc...then fruit size /shape, and fruit color.

Most of these are from Lotte. Some letters in the words are difficult to get correct. She may have some of these on some of her lists, which will help with the spelling.

There are enough seeds in each pack to make up a few further packs. All varieties have never been in the swap, or rarely been in the swap. So, anyone willing to grow anything out for next year...

Balkontomate
Braune Pflaune aus Litauen
Cape Teaser
Charlottchen
Chinese Joker Cherry
Citrus Orchard
Cherrytomate Costa Rica
Chocolate Grape
Clementine
Clou
Cooks Island
Cora Grun
Ecuador Most Sweetest
Enola
Frau Metzger
Freudentrane
Frontenac
Gelbe Perlen von Magali
Goldkornchen
Goldperle
Grafitti Pink
Grune Ris(?)entomate
Japanische Runde
Jawor
Jersey Sunrise
Jin en Jannecke
Johannis=beertomare
Kalvados/Calvados
Laos Cherry
Lettuce Leaf Tree
Little Sun
Lu Leng Ho
Manchester Plum
Moldavische Kirsche
Orange Pear Cherry
Paula's Susse (I can't do the double dots over the u, or over any other letters for other varieties)
Petit Poire
Pios Mini Ei
Rotorange Langtrau(b?)ige Obsttomate (that's it, the swap is off) ;)
S----sishe Hi--beere
Sizilianisch Cherrytomate
Stoke's Alaska
Sweetest Peru
Sweet Tiny Tiger
Tini Tiger
Weissleinchen
White Sensation
Wilde aus Volerswerth
Zollinger's Cherry
(?)agi(g?)o

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:48 pm

Here are a few so far.
image.png
I will attach a spreadsheet once I work through it some more.

Not sure if Sweet Tiny Tiger and Tini Tiger are different or not. Tiny Tiger I listed might be for Tini Tiger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:56 pm

Some possible translations for those not in obvious English:
Balkontomate Balcony Tomato
Braune Pflaune aus Litauen Brown Plum from Lithuaia
Charlottchen Charlotte
Cherrytomate Costa Rica Costa Rica
Frau Metzger Mrs. Butcher
Freudentrane Tears of Joy
Gelbe Perlen von Magali Yellow Pearls of Magali
Goldkornchen Grains of Gold
Goldperle Beads of Gold
Grune Ris(?)entomate Green Traveling Tomato
Japanische Runde Japanese Round
Jin en Jannecke Jin and Jannecke
Johannis=beertomare Johns Berry Tomato
Moldavische Kirsche Moldavian Cherry
Petit Poire Little Pear
Pios Mini Ei Pio's Mini Egg
Rotorange Langtrau(b?)ige Obsttomate (that's it, the swap is off) ;) Red Orange Long Lasting Fruit Tomato
Sizilianisch Cherrytomate Sicilian Cherry Tomato
Wilde aus Volerswerth Wild from Volerswerth

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:59 pm

Well, I think this is as far as I can get. Lotte's (assumed) website lists some as CT, but I have no idea what that means - currant type? cherry type? cocktail type? compact type? Most likely it is something in German.

Small update.

Updated:
Freudenträne
Goldperle (possible correction to a currant type)
Grüne Rispentomate (corrected to a medium slicer from cocktail/saladette - sometimes hard to tell with this fruit size)
Jersey Sunrise
Jip en Jannecke
Lettuce Leaf Tree (updated from large cherry to saladette)
Sizilianisch Cherrytomate
Unknown_ML_Varieties-working01b.xlsx
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Toomanymatoes on Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Acer Rubrum
Reactions:

Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:05 pm

I believe Citrus Orchard is also known as Citrus Garden and Tsitrusovyy Sad. I grew it this year in a seven gallon container. It only got about four feet high, though that may be because it was in a container. It produced well throughout the season. The tomatoes were about two ounces, yellow and and round with a point.

Lotte
Reactions:

Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:49 am

Toomanymatoes wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:47 pm Is this Lotte's website?
https://rj-lycopin.de/samenliste
No it's not my website, but I have a lot of interesting tomatoseeds from Robert Hoser who is the owner.

And @Tormato - I'll make the list right from me later.But you have most of them quite right.It is just the .. that are supposed to be above some names in German.Süsse instead of Susse......

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:42 pm

I see @Tormato has been hard at work with updating the lists. Thanks! I'm drooling just reading the updated lists.

Helpful correction:

True Colours (oxheart tomato) was developed in Canada and the correct spelling for this variety is "True Colours" not "True Colors" as some places in the USA mistakenly spell it.
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:46 pm

Lotte wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:49 am
Toomanymatoes wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:47 pm Is this Lotte's website?
https://rj-lycopin.de/samenliste
No it's not my website, but I have a lot of interesting tomatoseeds from Robert Hoser who is the owner.

And @Tormato - I'll make the list right from me later.But you have most of them quite right.It is just the .. that are supposed to be above some names in German.Süsse instead of Susse......
My apologies. I wasn't sure. I just saw so many of your seeds from varieties I have never heard of on that site I thought it may have been yours.

As for the master list, I am not sure where to place Marina's Praise. It is heart shaped, but not sure if it qualifies as an oxheart. Although, I personally classified it as an oxheart I don't think it's as meaty as your typical oxheart. It the result of a cross between 'Variegated Pl' and 'Orange Russian 117', so it has oxheart parentage. Not sure it matters, but just wanted to let people know.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:25 pm

@Tormato -- I agree about Manyel. Some other edits and questions about the lists, if it's useful:

Amy's Sugar Gem: listed here as pink; I believe it should be red
Benissoinante: listed here on both the red and the yellow lists; it's yellow
Domingo: listed here as red; it's pink
German Lunchbox: listed here as red; I believe it's pink
Kentucky Beefsteak: listed here as red; all sources I have found say it's orange or dark yellow. Is there also a different, red KY Beefsteak?
Prue: listed here as pink; I'm pretty sure it's red
Leachko German: listed here as pink; I believe it's bicolor (yellow with a little red marbling)
Large Mennonite Heritage: listed here as red; Tatiana says pink
Big Rainbow: listed here as striped; isn't it just a regular bicolor, no stripes?
Karma Peach: listed here in the "heart" category. Karen O. describes it as "bicolor saladette to small beefsteak," and I don't see any descriptions referring to it as heart-shaped, nor any pictures where it looks like a heart. Maybe should be in the bicolor category?
Black Hole Sun: listed here in the blue/antho category. Is it definitely antho? I couldn't find any mention of that, just that it's a dark tomato.

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:59 pm

Seven Bends wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:25 pm
Kentucky Beefsteak: listed here as red; all sources I have found say it's orange or dark yellow. Is there also a different, red KY Beefsteak?

It's confusing when different varieties have similar names. It appears this is the case here, @Seven Bends. I submitted 1 pack of Kentucky Beefheart for midwestfarmwife's wish list. There's a different variety like you are describing, that's called Kentucky Beefsteak.

I received my seeds as a freebie from Renaissance Farms. He shows it as a red heart so would be better in the heart category, in my opinion. Here's his listing for what I sent (which I believe is the one on the list that you are referring to):
https://renaissancefarms.org/product/ke ... rt-tomato/

Compare that to a Google of Kentucky Beefsteak:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Kentuck ... =718&dpr=1
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:12 pm

Korichnevyy Rebristyy (Brown Ribbed) is currently in the black category. While it does produce brown-colored fruits, it doesn't have the flavor that I associate with "black" tomatoes. It originated in the Ukraine and I grew it for the Ukraine swap. It might better fit in the Eastern European category for this swap even though I submitted it as a black to get blacks back. Sorry for the confusion.

You are doing an excellent job, Tormato. I am in awe of your organizational skills, dedication and patience to host this swap again.
~ Darlene ~

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:46 pm

WoodSprite wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:59 pm
Seven Bends wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:25 pm

It's confusing when different varieties have similar names. It appears this is the case here, @Seven Bends. I submitted 1 pack of Kentucky Beefheart for midwestfarmwife's wish list. There's a different variety like you are describing, that's called Kentucky Beefsteak.

I received my seeds as a freebie from Renaissance Farms. He shows it as a red heart so would be better in the heart category, in my opinion. Here's his listing for what I sent (which I believe is the one on the list that you are referring to):
https://renaissancefarms.org/product/ke ... rt-tomato/

Compare that to a Google of Kentucky Beefsteak:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Kentuck ... =718&dpr=1
The updated Master List of reds for the 2022 swap currently (12:30 AM Friday) lists Kentucky Beefsteak and doesn't list Kentucky Beefheart. It's post #16 on the first page of this thread. Kentucky Beefsteak has a (1) after it, which I believe means there's just one pack, which matches up with what you're saying about sending in a single pack. So, it sounds like Kentucky Beefsteak on the Master List of reds for 2022 should be changed to Kentucky Beefheart, if in fact it's your pack of seeds. And then possibly be moved to the heart category.

Interestingly, the Master List of reds for last year's swap DID include Kentucky Beefheart, and not Kentucky Beefsteak. I know this because I spend way too much time making spreadsheets of these things. :oops:

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:39 am

Seven Bends wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:46 pm The updated Master List of reds for the 2022 swap currently (12:30 AM Friday) lists Kentucky Beefsteak and doesn't list Kentucky Beefheart. It's post #16 on the first page of this thread. Kentucky Beefsteak has a (1) after it, which I believe means there's just one pack, which matches up with what you're saying about sending in a single pack. So, it sounds like Kentucky Beefsteak on the Master List of reds for 2022 should be changed to Kentucky Beefheart, if in fact it's your pack of seeds. And then possibly be moved to the heart category.

Interestingly, the Master List of reds for last year's swap DID include Kentucky Beefheart, and not Kentucky Beefsteak. I know this because I spend way too much time making spreadsheets of these things. :oops:
@Seven Bends - Exactly what you said.

@Tormato - The Kentucky BeefHEART that I sent for midwestfarmwife says "Shared by WoodSprite." on the bottom of the paper inside the baggie and has an orange sticker on the outside where Curtis from R.F. wrote the name of this heart tomato. If it's not from me, then it could be Kentucky BeefSTEAK from someone else for the yellow category.
~ Darlene ~

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:19 pm

All category lists are updated through 12/1/22. More packages are coming. Updates will not be added to those lists, rather they will be in new posts. I still have to move some varieties into their correct categories.

midwestfarmwife
Reactions:

Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:12 am

Thank you WoodSprite for sending Kentucky Beefheart for me! I have not grown Kentucky Beefsteak or Kentucky Beefheart before, so whichever it turns out to be will be fine. I think this past year was the best garden we have had, which surprised me as late as it went in. I squeezed tomatoes and froze juice, gave tons away, and even the chickens got their share.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:03 pm

WoodSprite wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:39 am
Seven Bends wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:46 pm The updated Master List of reds for the 2022 swap currently (12:30 AM Friday) lists Kentucky Beefsteak and doesn't list Kentucky Beefheart. It's post #16 on the first page of this thread. Kentucky Beefsteak has a (1) after it, which I believe means there's just one pack, which matches up with what you're saying about sending in a single pack. So, it sounds like Kentucky Beefsteak on the Master List of reds for 2022 should be changed to Kentucky Beefheart, if in fact it's your pack of seeds. And then possibly be moved to the heart category.

@Seven Bends - Exactly what you said.

@Tormato - The Kentucky BeefHEART that I sent for midwestfarmwife says "Shared by WoodSprite." on the bottom of the paper inside the baggie and has an orange sticker on the outside where Curtis from R.F. wrote the name of this heart tomato. If it's not from me, then it could be Kentucky BeefSTEAK from someone else for the yellow category.
I corrected this to 1 pack of Kentucky Beefheart (HEART category) came into the swap, no Kentucky Beefsteak.

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:21 pm

Few more corrections:

Mikado Rozovyj [Determinate]
Mikado Rozovyy [Eastern European]

These are likely to be the same tomato. I believe I incorrectly classified the ones I sent in as determinate (translation on Nikitovka was tall bush, I think I assumed bush = determinate). I think it is a compact indeterminate. I grew it in a 5G container and it did not grow taller than my dwarfs.

Very likely the same tomato:
Pertsevidnyi Rozovyi (4) [Eastern European]
Pertsevidnyy Rozovyy [Paste]

Pink Big Ukrainian [PINK]
Rozovyj Gigant Ukrainskij [EASTERN EUROPEAN]

Duplicates:
Sweet Tooth is listed under both PASTE and BLACK
Annie's Singapore listed under both HOT WEATHER and CHERRY
Druzba listed under both RED and EASTERN EUROPEAN
Grandee listed under both HEART and DETERMINATE
Stupice listed under both RED and EASTERN EUROPEAN
Whippersnapper listed under both MICRO and DETERMINATE

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:26 pm

Toomanymatoes wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:21 pm Few more corrections:

Mikado Rozovyj [Determinate]
Mikado Rozovyy [Eastern European]

These are likely to be the same tomato. I believe I incorrectly classified the ones I sent in as determinate (translation on Nikitovka was tall bush, I think I assumed bush = determinate). I think it is a compact indeterminate. I grew it in a 5G container and it did not grow taller than my dwarfs.

Very likely the same tomato:
Pertsevidnyi Rozovyi (4) [Eastern European]
Pertsevidnyy Rozovyy [Paste]

Pink Big Ukrainian [PINK]
Rozovyj Gigant Ukrainskij [EASTERN EUROPEAN]

Duplicates:
Sweet Tooth is listed under both PASTE and BLACK
Annie's Singapore listed under both HOT WEATHER and CHERRY
Druzba listed under both RED and EASTERN EUROPEAN
Grandee listed under both HEART and DETERMINATE
Stupice listed under both RED and EASTERN EUROPEAN
Whippersnapper listed under both MICRO and DETERMINATE

I have no clue if Whippersnapper is a micro, or if there is more than 1 variety by that name. I'm keeping the packs from separate donors, separate.

Thanks for the list of duplicates. I knew there were quite a few, I just didn't know which ones they were.

BettyC-5
Reactions:

Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:38 pm

I grew Whippersnapper this year. Package says micro, but it was trailing and may have maxed at about 18" vines. Lots of tomatoes all summer. Did great in a hanging planter. I just started 2 seeds that will grow under lights inside.
:)

Return to “MMMM Swap”